SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dunning letter from the IRS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dunning letter from the IRS Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Here in San Diego, our 2023 1040 and 2024 1040-ES P1 payments didn’t have to be paid until June 17, 2024 because of “flood damage”, courtesy of powerful CA politicians. Same with CA income tax payments. I didn’t have any flood damage, but I took advantage of the break.

But I got a letter from the IRS a few days ago stating that I owed them $16K+, including interest and penalties. Fear and loathing came upon me.

None of the values agreed with any of my recent payments, so I sent the info to my tax guy. He quickly determined that the IRS thought I hadn’t made my 2023 1040 payment. Despite the fact that my bank showed that the payment cleared on June 14.

My tax guy said that he could deal with the IRS for me, or I could call them myself to avoid an additional account charge. I quickly chose his first option. The thought of a LONG hold to reach a diversity hire had no appeal.

A good tax guy is a jewel!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9411 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Let your tax guy do it. If he was your preparer he is better equipped than you to deal with their nonsense

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I think the IRS does this on purpose.

During Covid I got a similar letter regarding a different type of payment, but it demanded the payment and penalties.

I called. I was on hold for a long time. I finally got somebody on the other end who told me that they had a warehouse full of mail that had not been processed yet, and that my return was probably there. She offered me an extension, and told me if it hadn't been processed in 90 days to call them back. Several weeks later it was.

I wonder how many people just paid the fine/penalty without knowing that the IRS was the one responsible for that delay.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15837 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That's the one of the reasons I have a "tax guy" instead of doing it myself.
Having someone between you and them to act as a buffer can be very important. They also should know the subtle and practical aspects of the laws and how they are interpreted.
I also suspect they have some contact methods so they don't have to put up with the same wait times and other BS we mere peons are required to go through.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how many people just paid the fine/penalty without knowing that the IRS was the one responsible for that delay.

Many do accept & sign the letter. Never sign the letter even if you owe the amount. About 75% of the letters my tax clients receive are incorrect. Also IRS may forgive the penalties if you ask.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4328 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
<snip>
I also suspect they have some contact methods so they don't have to put up with the same wait times and other BS we mere peons are required to go through.

My thought too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9411 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
I had a somewhat similar experience a couple of years ago on an estate account. Tax return and payment actually made before the due date. A couple of months later I received a similar notice. It was fruitless trying to reach the IRS by phone. After some thought, I called on a Friday evening and much my surprise, an IRS employee in West Virginia answered. Her initial response was that I owed money. When I told her I was looking at my financial account online and the IRS had in fact withdrawn the funds on a specific date months before. She then checked in two more IRS computer systems and found that I had indeed paid my taxes on time. No apology was forthcoming, nor did I really expect one. I have since learned of another person who had a similar problem and outcome. Should this happen again, I will let the CPA firm I use handle the problem. FYI. Local CPA and estate law firms have hired people whose sole responsibility is to call the IRS, remain on hold for however long it takes until the call goes through, and then summon either a CPA or attorney to speak to the IRS.

Posts: 221 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
and then summon either a CPA or attorney to speak to the IRS.

Only CPA's, enrolled agents & attorneys can get a POA (IRS form 2848) accepted by IRS. It normally takes about two weeks. We can then access most client IRS records and talk with someone. We do have a IRS practitioners priority telephone number but the wait is as long & the people answering are usually no help.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4328 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
All of this speaks volumes about how inefficient and unstable our current government and this system of sustaining it really are.

It will all collapse, because it has to. They have become gangsters.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
In cases like Pipe Smoker's and uvahawk's, where the taxpayer has documented evidence that payment was made in full and on time, wouldn't a letter sent by certified mail be sufficient, instead of calling and waiting forever on hold?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had to do battle with them over the tax credit we got when we installed our solar array several years ago. It was something like 3 years later that they sent a us a letter saying we needed to provide proof, which we had already done when we did the taxes for the year. They not only wanted proof of payment for the array, they wanted the original estimate, original design for the array and a certified letter from.the company saying they had installed it and that we paid for it.

"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"

Posts: 350 | Location: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: November 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
In cases like Pipe Smoker's and uvahawk's, where the taxpayer has documented evidence that payment was made in full and on time, wouldn't a letter sent by certified mail be sufficient, instead of calling and waiting forever on hold?

I don’t know. But the IRS said that I had to pay by July 15 to avoid additional penalties and interest (and their interest rate is usurous).

I suspect that it would be a long time before the IRS responded to your certified letter, and the answer might be negative. You’d still be in the soup. Letting my tax guy deal with this issue was the best course for me.

Serious about crackers

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Incompetence is rampant in our government and the IRS is the flag ship of incompetence.

Their 80K new agents will simply make them even more inept.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20385 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years back the IRS gave us additional time to pay taxes. Of course this was forgotten and the IRS stated we owed 24 thousand in penalties. We corrected the matter,but it took one year.{BTW this was the IRS giving us an extra year to pay because we were the victims of a disaster.}

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post