SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Treadmill workout suggestions just to get going again?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treadmill workout suggestions just to get going again? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m at the point of, I just need to get started, and all the other options are pretty daunting at this point. I was fit and know how to get back there but it’s currently an overwhelming thought. I want to get back to CrossFit type stuff but I need a better base first and I do understand there is some ego and embarrassment envolved. I have ok strength, and surprise people sometimes, but I get winded and tire easily.

I’m thinking, a speed walk on the mill at a slight incline and maybe add in a vest will get me going. Drop a couple pounds, get some lungs back, time on my feet and get in a habit. Come in from work, put the running shoes on and go.

Walking on the road is mind numbing to me. Once I get back to being able to do a 9 minute mile, I’ll get back on the road.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8347 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
For your purpose, I wouldn't do anything fancy. I have the Sole F85, and it has served me well for years. I'm sure newer models have all the fancy doodads, but they do nothing for me.

Q

Posts: 26553 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Walking on the road is mind numbing to me.
I thought I'd find walking mind-numbingly-boring, too, but, I joined a step challenge and found I actually enjoyed walking. I can't wait for the weather to improve so I can walk again.

But... if you find walking outside boring, I cannot imagine a treadmill will be any less tedious.

First things first: If you're trying to lose fat, cardio isn't particularly effective. Not that it won't help at all. Any exercise will help. But, strength-training is far more effective for fat loss than any cardio.

Secondly: Not all cardio is created equal. MICT [1] is more effective than LISS [2], HIIT [3] is more effective than MICT, and SIT [4] is even more effective than HIIT [5].

Lastly: Not all cardio equipment is equal. In general terms: Air bikes and rowers will yield the highest calorie burn per unit time, followed by elliptical trainers, stair machines, treadmills, upright stationary bikes, then recumbent stationary bikes [6].

[1] MICT: Moderate-Intensity Continuous Training
[2] LISS: Low-Intensity Steady State
[3] HIIT: High-Intensity Interval Training
[4] SIT: Sprint Interval Training
[5] Where "more effective" means in terms of improving cardio-vascular fitness, improved fat loss, and calories burned per unit time.
[6] These are generalizations and are subject to the amount of effort put into it. Furthermore: The order listed is based upon a seat-of-the-pants meta-analysis I did of a half-dozen or so articles that rated the machines' calorie burn performance. YMMV.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't mention your age or height and weight; I'm in my upper 70's and I have a treadmill set up in the basement with a TV and DVD/VHS player so I can watch while treading. I try to do half an hour daily of various walking speeds and inclines. Don't overdue it if you are really out of shape. I don't run on the treadmill at all but other ages may do it differently.

Posts: 1501 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Instead of the vest, try a backpack with some weight or sand socks. Just a good walking speed while doing some inclines to start you out. Another is jog 1 minute, walk 1 minute and work your speed, distance, and time up.

Posts: 3958 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Dial in a few degrees incline, and watch some shows. Bring your pace a little higher every day, or week, or whatever.

Posts: 11401 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'd skip the additional weight to start. Don't get discouraged before you even have the time to get back into it. Make it fun.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38744 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Don't overdue it if you are really out of shape.
It's always wise to start low/slow and work up regardless of what shape you think you're in. But...
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
... I'm in my upper 70's ... I don't run on the treadmill at all but other ages may do it differently.
(Current) physical conditioning and any potential disabilities are far more important than age.

Many (most?) doctors, and even some fitness types, urge "seniors" to "take it easy," "dial it back," etc. We're told we shouldn't do this and we shouldn't do that because of our age. (One of my docs freaked out when I told her I was hitting 172 BPM doing HIIT sometime around my early 60's.)

Based on my own personal experiences I'd felt all along that just didn't seem right. It turns out it's not.

Older members (and perhaps their doctors) should read this: Volume and the Masters Lifter.

Some excerpts:
quote:

76-year-old Ann buries her 125 lb squats.
70-year-old Carson on the platform with 315.
67-year-old Janet locking out 185.

I reading their book, right now: The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did it wrong for three days.

I was walking flat.
Then I jacked it up too 3.5 incline.

The machine claimed that I burn the same 50 calories in less time

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54736 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Dial in a few degrees incline, and watch some shows. Bring your pace a little higher every day, or week, or whatever.

This is working for me.
Iam starting very slowly.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54736 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Yep, tv is setup. I’ll eventually get back to the weights and rower.

Thanks!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8347 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

The Couch-to-5K program really does work. I did it about ten years ago. I absolutely hated running (stemming from my Army days), but grew to really enjoy it once I started getting back into shape with the program.

Do the workouts M-W-F and you'll be back into shape before you know it. I'd suggest doing it outdoors though as treadmills can get rather boring.

Posts: 20147 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am just the opposite. The treadmill bored me to death and I hated the noise it made. I now walk every other day in Park Cemetery for 30 to 45 minutes. History, nature and varying terrain have helped me lose 10 pounds so far. I even look forward to walking in our weather. Biggest expense so far has been in good shoes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16149 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Yep, tv is setup. I’ll eventually get back to the weights and rower.

Thanks!

I was going to recommend a TV/tablet/phone and some Bluetooth earbuds. I will watch a show on Netflix and bam! 45mins flies by.

Posts: 5430 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post