SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am in need of a high quality stripped screw extractor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am in need of a high quality stripped screw extractor Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
I am trying to replace my rotors on a 98 Trooper which has a captive rotor system on the front brakes. In it there are three small screws. Every video I watched said that these will likely strip out and sure enough they did.

I've never owned a screw extractor before but looking online and at Home Depot the kits are all about the same price, around 10 bucks, and have mixed reviews. Most everything I see looks like this:

Something about them all costing around 10 bucks doesn't give me confidence. I may be wrong and maybe this style is exactly what I need but I really can't make this problem worse so if anyone has advice on what I should look for please share. I am willing to pay for quality, I just don't know what quality is in this case.

Thanks!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with impact screwdrivers (hammer type) but it depends on how stripped the screws are.

I have also tried the Craftsman brand of screw extractors, but I don't think they would work very well with rusted stuff.

Good luck with it!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't worked on one of these for a while. Refresh my memory. Do the screws hold a retainer (a circular plate) to the wheel bearing/spindle nut? Are they Phillips?

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Those are the tool that you need. An effective trick for rotors is often to hose the offending screw down with PB blaster and then give it a hard whack with a hammer. I've always been able to remove rotor screws using this method.

Posts: 1976 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I have a set of the Grabbit! brand, which have worked flawlessly, but they all look like that and all cost about $10-20 for a set.

Good luck!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I haven't worked on one of these for a while. Refresh my memory. Do the screws hold a retainer (a circular plate) to the wheel bearing/spindle nut? Are they Phillips?

That is correct.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Little soft Phillips screws like those are bad about stripping out, all right.

If there is any semblance of slots left, try a good quality Phillips bit on an impact driver. The hammer blow simultaneously drives the bit deeper and turns the screw. No worries about rust as everything is swimming in wheel bearing grease. I have also used a left-handed drill bit in a reversible drill running in reverse. The bit may catch the screw and turn it out, or you can go ahead and drill the head off, remove the retainer plate and the spindle nut, then at your leisure you can grasp what is left of the screw shank with a plier and turn it out.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Little soft Phillips screws like those are bad about stripping out, all right.

If there is any semblance of slots left, try a good quality Phillips bit on an impact driver. The hammer blow simultaneously drives the bit deeper and turns the screw. No worries about rust as everything is swimming in wheel bearing grease. I have also used a left-handed drill bit in a reversible drill running in reverse. The bit may catch the screw and turn it out, or you can go ahead and drill the head off, remove the retainer plate and the spindle nut, then at your leisure you can grasp what is left of the screw shank with a plier and turn it out.

Thanks for the advice! I had not thought about drilling the head off. I suppose if everything else fails that’s still an option. It makes me a lot less worried to destroy the screw.

I’ll give your suggestions a try. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
If you're in need of a pair of pliers to grab stripped out screws, there are a line of Japanese pliers called neji-saurus that are simply awesome at this job. This size is large enough for most screws

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
If you're in need of a pair of pliers to grab stripped out screws, there are a line of Japanese pliers called neji-saurus that are simply awesome at this job. This size is large enough for most screws

Unfortunately these are still firmly seated and even slightly recessed which takes using pliers or a dremel to cut a notch out impossible. Thanks for the link though. I am always looking for good quality tools!

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
How large a screw head?

I have a good set I'm willing to lend you if they are the appropriate size.

I'm unlikely to use them in the next month, given the doc's order to keep my left arm in a sling for another four weeks.

Either post here or email me the details.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I've had good luck with impact screwdrivers (hammer type) but it depends on how stripped the screws are.

I have also tried the Craftsman brand of screw extractors, but I don't think they would work very well with rusted stuff.

Good luck with it!!

I also have some Craftsman damaged screw extractors but they only seemed to do more damage when I tried to use them. These crews are in there good.

quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Those are the tool that you need. An effective trick for rotors is often to hose the offending screw down with PB blaster and then give it a hard whack with a hammer. I've always been able to remove rotor screws using this method.

quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I have a set of the Grabbit! brand, which have worked flawlessly, but they all look like that and all cost about $10-20 for a set.

Good luck!

-Rob

Thanks for the info. I guess these are the correct tools then. I was just a bit hesitant with the price and all the off-brand names who make them. It is nice to get some reassurance.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
How large a screw head?

I have a good set I'm willing to lend you if they are the appropriate size.

I'm unlikely to use them in the next month, given the doc's order to keep my left arm in a sling for another four weeks.

Either post here or email me the details.

Wow thanks!

I'll definitely let you know if I need them.

Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
The extractors have been a waste of money for me. The soft Philip’s screws strip right out, and the lame ass drill end gets dull on the harder screws, making them dull and useless. Good luck with the good suggestions above

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good results with the type when you drill a hold down the center of the screw, then tap in a non-tapered sharp edged device. A special nut slides over the tapped in piece, and you rotate the nut to remove the screw.

Ridgid had them, and others as well. The kit includes a centering device for each of the 5 screw sizes.
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/screw-extractor

It is the set in a red plastic case, on the left side of the screen.

If there is some of the screw sticking out, heat and Kroil oil or Corrosion-X might get it out first.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
I have used them all...just the nature of the business I am in. The type posted will work about half the time. You want quality that works better than any of the rest then look at Knipex. Hands down the best. If you don’t like the price at least go with the square type (google it there are many). They are a steep up from the pigs tail type posted.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
ez-outs work really good and as Garret said the square shape ones work best.

Posts: 1577 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cobalt left handed drill bit. If it dosn't back the screw out, it takes the head off.

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Unfortunately these are still firmly seated and even slightly recessed which takes using pliers or a dremel to cut a notch out impossible. Thanks for the link though. I am always looking for good quality tools!

For recessed screws, you can use a properly sized cold chisel to cut a slot in it. That might give you some purchase. After a good soaking of Kroil.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I e wanted to try this but have not yet: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwz-NXj5ZIk
I saw something similar for stripped screws.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post