SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you use to pick peaches up high?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you use to pick peaches up high? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

A few years ago we planted a peach tree on our property and the first year it produced a surprising bumper crop. They were also easy to pick since the tree was rather small. Since then the tree has grown significantly making the picking of peaches on the upper branches difficult. The tree is positioned at the corner of our house so using a ladder is not feasible. What tool would you recommend I make to pick those high ones? I found this tool on Amazon, but I don't know if I want to spend that much, or if the tines will break the skin of the peach. What do you use or recommend? Yes, I could prune the tree to make it shorter, but it's a nice shape in front of our house. Thanks.

Chris

Posts: 2337 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
When I was a young boy, they used ME to pick pecans and shake limbs way up in the trees.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
When I was a young boy, they used ME to pick pecans and shake limbs way up in the trees.

HA! Me too! We also had a peach orchard and used a step ladder.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My neighbors just climbed the tree and helped themselves sometimes breaking branches. Mad

I assume you have a standard and not a dwarf tree. I would trim the branches for lower height and more open spread.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My daughter has that tool for lemons and limes, works pretty well...

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10500 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Truck Bumper?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You are really suppose to trim the hell out of all fruit trees
like apples ,peaches and fig trees in December
You open the top up on those trees ,the fruit is nicer as it gets sun
Fruit is larger and better.
Not to criticize ,just do not like you to fall of a ladder.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
shotgun

Posts: 5607 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You want the fruit picker in the linked video.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Our marvelous peach tree produced a total of less than a crate full over the 12 years we put up with it. Eventual crop: fire wood.

I now pick my peaches from the top waist-level shelf with the best looking fruit down at Grandpa's Fruit Stand.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Get a metal coffee can, attach it to a long pole, sharpen the edges on the open side.

Push it up where the peaches are, position it so the peach is inside the can and jab lightly. It'll cut the stem and the peach drops in the can.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
$10 at WalMart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fru...rees-Fruit/468974660

Posts: 4701 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was going to say a small boy.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a fruit picker just like the ones pictured. I used it on my apple tree. They provided a foam disk for the bottom so the apples had a soft landing.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at light bulb changers on the poles at Home Depot?

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2277 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
As seen on the video linked in ZSMICHAEL's post above, and endorsed in other posts, you want something like this:

We had full sized apricot and plum trees in the yard back in California, and got one of those style fruit pickers from Home Depot, I believe. Worked great.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^We used to use that exact tool to pick citrus when I was a kid, granddad used his for peaches also, as he had a peach tree. But it hurt the figs he had, so he used a ladder for the higher up ones

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
I agree with what a few people have already stated. You should trim the tree to produce larger better fruit that can be reached from the ground. I dont think peach trees should be over 9 or 10 foot tall. The weight of the fruit will pull the branches down so you can pick without a ladder or any device

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post