SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sleep Apnea and Waking Up to Pee
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleep Apnea and Waking Up to Pee Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Any suggestions on a home sleep study? It seems the local place isn't well regarded.
Have you tried this search feature from cpaptalk.com?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a prostatectomy and I still get up once sometimes twice a night to pee. I could probably drink less fluid at night and it would help . What is really aggravating is that most times getting up is preceeded by a dream in which I'm in a hotel or conference and can't find a men's room. What scares me is I'm afraid that the dream may progress to my finding it .
My wife says I snore and lately, I feel tired during the day and fall asleep easily on the couch. I'm enough of a cynic however, that I think sleep apnea is over-diagnosed . I wonder how many people after a study are told they don't have sleep apnea. As friend of mine once said, it's like going into a barber shop and asking the barber if he thinks you need a haircut. I can't visualize myself sleeping hooked up to a hose. My brother had one and threw it away after a few weeks . So I'm on the fence .

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
NK402, I suggest you reread this entire thread. Then when you get your CPAP you (and your wife!) can thank Tatortodd.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Mark me down as a "Yes".

I got mine in the fall of 2012. I do not think I have missed more than three nights since.

I have not had a sleep study since, and moved a couple of years ago. How often should one have a new assessment done? And how many years should one expect to get out of a CPAP?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My mother had a sleep study which confirmed what I had told her doctor, that she would stop breathing many times an hour and so she got the CPAP machine, and immediately started complaining about it and how she got no sleep whatsoever, as it felt "like cold air being blasted into my nose!". Soon, she told the doctor she was done with it. I decided to try it thinking I was pretty sure I had some degree of sleep apnea, and that my mom was just being her picky self. I was wrong, from almost the first minute I put it on, I was in total agreement with her and I want nothing to do with it again. Apparently, this type of complaint is more common than I would have expected.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
Love my ResMed S9. I'm even thinking of getting a spare in case it's discontinued.

I Have several automatic and programable ones, email me, as yours in not listed in ur profile...
ps they ARE discontinued the current model ids the S-10

Riley
Any suggestions on a home sleep study? It seems the local place isn't well regarded.

Contact Case worker dept at your local hospital for referrals/recommendations.

chongosuerte

I have not had a sleep study since, and moved a couple of years ago. How often should one have a new assessment done? And how many years should one expect to get out of a CPAP?

5 years is typical lifespan sleep study? not needed unless you notice a different sleep or lack of, like Tatar did...

2010Challenger

My mother had a sleep study which confirmed what I had told her doctor, that she would stop breathing many times an hour and so she got the CPAP machine, and immediately started complaining about it and how she got no sleep whatsoever, as it felt "like cold air being blasted into my nose!". Soon, she told the doctor she was done with it. I decided to try it thinking I was pretty sure I had some degree of sleep apnea, and that my mom was just being her picky self. I was wrong, from almost the first minute I put it on, I was in total agreement with her and I want nothing to do with it again. Apparently, this type of complaint is more common than I would have expected.

Again I would suggest that your Lab techs (polysonographers) sucked, took the easy way out cranked you up too high, to quickly accommodate ZERO hyponias, Snores and apneas!
Rendering you with a hurricane type setting and doomed to fail.

A solution to ALL of you. Get a auto CPAP and let the unit calculate your settings, as they change over time and sleep positions!

Also masks get changed out (Think Planned Obsolescence) by the companies every couple of years.

I have some of the best selling masks ever made, that were phased out by the cpap mfgrs. However every face is different and there is no one fits all solution and sizes vary, like sneakers,
rebook I wear a 11 1/2
nike 11

If you had a mask you loved and can no longer get it, let me know...I may have it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Mark me down as a "Yes".

I got mine in the fall of 2012. I do not think I have missed more than three nights since.

I heard you should be tested every 5 years. Get copies of your test results if you can.

My first test was 8 years ago and my doc recommended to get an updated test done. The place I got my first sleep study done lost my initial paperwork so I had to do the initial study again to reestablish a baseline. One night with all the wires attached is bad enough. Sucks more without the cpap on.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5794 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd throw this up for you.
This is GENERAL info NOT Gospel!

CPAP Mask Sizing Guide and Maintenance
Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) masks and headgear come in many styles and sizes to comfortably treat your sleep apnea. Everyone has different needs and face shapes, so you may need to research a variety of CPAP masks before finding the right one for you. If you have been a particular size from in one manufacturer CPAP mask that doesn't mean you'll be the same size in others.

Here's a look at a few CPAP masks and possible benefits of each. Work closely with your doctor and CPAP mask supplier to make sure you have a mask that suits your needs and fits you.

Nasal Pillow CPAP Masks
CPAP Nasal Pillow Sizing Guide CPAP Nasal Pillows have become very popular in the last few years. Like nasal masks they are recommended for use by patients who sleep with their mouths closed and are able to exhale through the nares. Nasal pillows are very small in size and have two flexible pieces, similar two a mushroom cap. The pillows fit gently into the nostrils and attach to an adaptor that fastens to the CPAP tubing. Rather than wearing a triangular mask that rests on the upper lip, nose, or cheeks. Users that suffer from allergies to interface materials, claustrophobia, patients with mustaches and beards as well as those who have a narrow nose bridge and shorter faces normally prefer nasal pillows to a mask because the pillows do not rest directly on the above mentioned areas.

Innovative devices have been designed for patients requiring positive ventilation therapy that allows the user freedom to speak, eat, drink, and wear eyeglasses without removing the device. The under nose reservoir is positioned across the patient's upper lip with the nasal inserts positioned in patient's nares. The tubing drapes comfortably over the patient's ears similar to that of a nasal cannula, thus stabilizing the under nose reservoir with the extremely lightweight "Y" coupling that rests on the patients chest, eliminating the need for uncomfortable straps and headgear. A Pillow Mask will normally consist of a durable plastic frame that supports the soft nasal pillow cushions that attaches to adjustable headgear. We say"Up your nose with a rubber hose"

If you have been prescribed a CPAP setting of 10 cmh20 or higher, CPAP Nasal Pillows are not recommended. Experienced CPAP users agree a Nasal Mask is a more comfortable option.

Nasal Pillow Advantages:
Nasal pillows are the least bulky way of delivering CPAP, and may certainly be the best choice for those who sleep on their tummy. As there is no mask over the bridge of the nose, glasses can be worn with nasal pillows. This, along with a better field of vision due to reduced bulk mean that patients who like to read or watch television whilst using CPAP often like this design. Nasal pillows do not rely on a seal being formed around the face, so if you are a very ‘active’ sleeper they may work really well. They are also the only effective choice for patients with facial hair.

Nasal Pillow Drawbacks:
The required air is blown directly up into the nostrils as a jet. If a high pressure of CPAP is needed, this can be uncomfortable for the patient. As well as the feeling of a jet of air hitting the back of the nose, nasal pillows can cause drying of the nose and even nosebleeds. As with nasal masks, this may not be the ideal choice of mouth breathers, although again nasal pillows can sometimes be provided with a chin strap to encourage the jaw to stay shut and breathing through the nose.

Nasal CPAP Masks
CPAP Nasal Mask Sizing Guide Nasal CPAP Masks are the most popular masks used by CPAP patients. They are triangular in shape and rest gently over the nose, often accompanied by a forehead strap and or pad that rest above the eyebrow giving added stability. If your CPAP setting is 10 cmh20 and higher the nasal CPAP Mask is recommended. The Nasal Mask is suggested for CPAP users that sleep with their mouths closed and are able to exhale through the nares. The Nasal Mask is easy to use and comfortable while providing a constant stream of pressurized air that keeps the user’s airway from collapsing, thus minimizing the possibility of apneas. The smaller interface is often preferred over a Full Face Mask. Patients that find the Nasal pillows uncomfortable at higher pressures will find Nasal Masks to deliver a more comfortable and beneficial Sleep Therapy Treatment.

A Nasal Mask will normally consist of a durable plastic frame that supports a soft nasal pillow that attaches to adjustable headgear.

Remember, even if you don't mouth breathe, you may still be experiencing mask leaks. Any leak may contribute to decreased treatment effectiveness and consequently create symptoms of poor therapy and health. Many times this is caused by OVER-TIGHTENING!

Nasal Mask Advantages:
Nasal masks are less bulky than full face masks. They may be better tolerated by people who are claustrophobic – although some do not like the contact between the nose and mouth along the upper lip. Nasal masks can achieve quite high CPAP pressures without causing discomfort. Nasal masks are made in a wide variety of different shapes and sizes so most people will be able to find a mask which fits them perfectly.

Nasal Mask Drawbacks:
Nasal masks may not work well for stomach sleepers. As the mask fits over the bridge of the nose, most (Not All) cannot be worn with glasses, so people who like to read or watch television before going to bed may not like this design. In addition, people with facial hair will find that the mask cannot generate a seal so will not work well, If you suffer with difficulty breathing through your nose, this will not be the best choice for you, as the air is delivered only through the nose.

Full Face CPAP Mask
CPAP Full Face Mask Sizing Guide Full Face CPAP Masks cover both your nose and mouth. If you mouth breathe or have mouth leaks, then a Full Face Mask will provide a number of benefits over a nasal mask. A full face mask will prevent air loss that can compromise treatment, and offer a resolution to dry throat and nose problems. If you mouth breathe or have leaks, you will not be receiving your full treatment pressure with a Nasal Mask, consequently you may not be getting the full benefits of your Sleep Therapy Treatment.

A Full Face Mask will normally consist of a durable plastic frame that supports a soft inner cushion that with minimal pressure rest against the face. The head gear is available with with few points of contact to the face or with forehead straps.

Remember, even if you don't mouth breathe, you may still be experiencing mouth and mask leaks. Any leak may contribute to decreased treatment effectiveness and consequently create symptoms of poor therapy and health.

Full Face Mask Advantages:
Full face masks are the only CPAP masks to deliver air through the mouth so are ideal for people who have difficulty breathing through their nose – such as those with frequent nasal infections or a deviation of the nasal septum (cartilage ‘wall’ that runs down the inside of the middle of the nose). Full face masks are also excellent for people who need high CPAP pressure as air is channelled through both the nose and the mouth.

Full Face Mask Drawbacks:
This is the biggest type of CPAP face mask. Some people may not like the bulky nature of the design – particularly those who sleep on their tummy, or people who tend to feel claustrophobic. Because of its size it needs to create a seal over the largest area, and can therefore be more likely to leak. In particular some users find they may get a leak around the bridge of the nose, which allows air to flow up around the eyes causing the eyes to dry out. Facial hair a beard or mustache is likely to stop the mask from forming a good seal.

Deciding on a CPAP Mask
Below is list of CPAP Mask manufacturers we personally work with and can honestly comment on their strengths and weaknesses:
Phillips Respironics
ResMed
DeVilbiss
Fisher-Paykel
PMI Probasics
Hans Rudolph
Do not choose your CPAP by price. This is not an effective way to choose a mask that you will be wearing night after night. In no way does the price indicate how well the mask will contour to your face or perform for you.

If you are having a difficult time deciding on a mask that will best work for you, visit a CPAP expert, locally.

It is recommended that patients are first fitted for a CPAP mask at a physical location, sleep doctor or sleep center. If you are planning on sizing yourself you may want to have a friend or family member measure too. Two exact measurements are better than one! A proper fitting mask is more important than a CPAP machine full of bells and whistles. If your mask is leaking, you are not receiving quality sleep therapy. A quality mask, in the correct size, will provide a restful sleep and a more productive tomorrow. We offer a mask sizing guide to measure your nose and or face; however there are slight differences in sizes between manufacturers and models.Please take the time to measure correctly. Most do not accept returns on opened masks. A mask is a personal item that is worn by only one person. Once a mask package is opened, it is no longer resalable.

This is a guide to help you select the correct size mask system. There is no guaranty on mask sizing from using this information. Measure carefully. Actual Sizing templates are available for download.

Measuring Diagrams
NASAL MASK: Measure your actual nose size from top to bottom and side to side.
(NOTE: Some masks only come in a few sizes, so you will have to choose the closest one)

Petite: 1.5" tall, 1.5" wide
Small: 1.75" tall, 1.5" wide
Medium-Small: 2" tall, 1.5" wide
Medium Wide: 1.75" tall, 2" wide
Medium: 2" tall, 1.75" wide
Large: 2.25" tall, 2" wide
Large Narrow: 2.5" tall, 1.5" wide
Shallow: 2" tall, 1.75" wide, 1.25" deep or less
Standard: 1.75" to 2" tall, 1.75" wide

FULL FACE MASK: Measure straight down from the middle of your pupil to just below the lower lip. It may help to imagine a horizontal line extended from your lower lip to beneath your eye, so that you can measure straight down from your pupil.
1. Measure the width of your mouth in a natural position. (i.e. not smiling)
2. Make sure top fits at bridge of nose, and bottom covers mouth completely.

Small: 3.25" tall, 2.75" wide
Medium: 3.5" tall, 3.25" wide
Large: 4.25" tall, 3.25" wide

HANS RUDOLPH FULL FACE: Measure from top of nose to bottom of chin.

Petite: 3.5" tall
Extra Small: 4" tall
Small: 4.25" to 4.5" tall
Medium: 4.5" to 5" tall
Large: 5" tall

CPAP Mask Fit and Adjustment
Once you have chosen your CPAP mask and style that best fits your unique facial contour, you will need to make the adjustments needed for a proper fit before your first sleep therapy. Try sitting on the side of your bed, turn your CPAP machine on and place the mask on your face with the straps loose. Position yourself in bed as you would any other evening. With your head on the pillow, slowly and gently pull the straps to the point that feels comfortable and no leaks are present. Be patient it may take a few attempts but you will get it! I prefer this method sit down bend you face over your knees apply pressure from your machine and adjust accordingly.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post