SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    JIS screw drivers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JIS screw drivers Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
I just learned that their are actually two different types of Phillips style type screw drivers. Can someone chime in and tell me more. What are the best type/brand to buy? Ya learn something new every day if ya look hard enough...

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Unless you're working on a lot of older Japanese cars and especially motorcycles (they were fond of using those on crankcase covers), I don't think you'll find much use for a JIS. On the few that remain, for example, screws holding brake rotors to a hub or the Nissan VG engine (which they stopped making 20 years ago) valve covers, I've never had any trouble using a #3 Phillips.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
There's also Pozidriv. It's not as quite as similar to Phillips as JIS is, but it's a lot more common, and Phillips screwdrivers do a really bad job on them.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
3 types, actually. PoziDrive. It's what almost all of the screws in the machines I service at work use.

I really like the Vessel ball type drivers. Failing that, it's really hard for me to give up my Wiha DriveLoc tools.

edit: maladat beat me by thaaat much.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3355 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You might find this interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

As for Pozidriv, I do see these a lot on older GM car interior trim screws. And yes, standard Phillips don't work for crap on them.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The good news about Pozidriv is that the screw heads are (supposed to be) obviously marked with little lines radiating out between the slots, so at least you don't have to wonder which it is.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JIS screws are different than Phillips screws are different than posidrive screws. etc. etc. On Japanese machines you are most likely to find JIS screws. and not just older ones. You can get decent JIS drivers in lots of places but amazon has them as imports for not too much money. I have some that I was gifted via a Japanese mechanic friend many years ago but also the amazon ones and not much quality difference. Phillips sucks.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11015 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Vessel Megadora Jawsfit

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
You might find this interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

As for Pozidriv, I do see these a lot on older GM car interior trim screws. And yes, standard Phillips don't work for crap on them.

Thx for the link. Always learning stuff on here.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the old Reed and Prince aka Frearson. Externally, the heads of fasteners look somewhat similar to a JIS head but the internal angles are different. They have a distinctive pointed tip which helps distinguish them from Phillips, etc.

Posts: 7321 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless you're working on a lot of older Japanese cars and especially motorcycles (they were fond of using those on crankcase covers), I don't think you'll find much use for a JIS. On the few that remain, for example, screws holding brake rotors to a hub or the Nissan VG engine (which they stopped making 20 years ago) valve covers, I've never had any trouble using a #3 Phillips.

I respectfully disagree.

JIS fits Phillips MUCH better than the other way around. In fact, I rarely even pick up my Phillips drivers since I got my JIS set.

Admittedly, some of that may just be the better quality of my Vessel drivers as compared to my old Crapsman drivers.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

I respectfully disagree.

JIS fits Phillips MUCH better than the other way around. In fact, I rarely even pick up my Phillips drivers since I got my JIS set.

Admittedly, some of that may just be the better quality of my Vessel drivers as compared to my old Crapsman drivers.

Nope, it is the design of the JIS phillips drivers. The make better contact in a standard (USA) phillips screw head than the regular phillips screwdrivers do. Of course, they also make excellent contact in JIS screws, which are most of the time marked with a raised bump or X on the head. I carry a Vessel ball head driver with 3 JIS double-ended bits in my Tacoma tool kit.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work on Japanese manufactured medical instruments and they use JIS fasteners.

I use a Wiha exchangeable bit driver and 5 years ago there were not many places carrying JIS bits.

I order all of mine from here Motion Pro they sell parts and tools for working on Japanese motorcycles.

Looks like they're available more places now,but I've had good luck with the ones from here.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the JIS screwdrivers very handy when working on cheap electronics too. Such as toasters, clocks , radios, cameras etc...

Posts: 1274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of screws are generally used in Europe (Italy mostly)? I see them on all of the Italian yachts, and half of the U.S. philips tips will work, but the angles are slightly different that the tip goes into.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
What type of screws are generally used in Europe (Italy mostly)? I see them on all of the Italian yachts, and half of the U.S. philips tips will work, but the angles are slightly different that the tip goes into.

Pozidriv

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7481 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thx, I missed this somehow. I avoid Amazon these days, so I'll look elsewhere to get a few quality ones.

FBLM LGB!

Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Check vesseltools.com / JDV Products or Frankstools. You can order from Rakuten Japan but you'll need to use a translation plug in your browser to view in English.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

You can buy a limited selection of Vessel tools on Amazon, as well. This is the set I mentioned above that I carry in my Tacoma. I includes JIS 1, 2, 3, 6mm slotted, and PoziDriv 2, 3.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post