SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MacBook Air or MacBook Pro ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MacBook Air or MacBook Pro ? Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted
My 2008 13.3″ (1280 x 800 18-bit 113 ppi) aluminum-unibody MacBook went to my favorite nieces so they could do school work.

The 2012 11" MacBook Air has TEN keys worn to blobs of backlight. Several wonky; typing is a beetch. Five years of steady blogging. Plus everything else, like taxes, memes, tracking cat food vs litter usage. So it is going bye-bye until it is refurbished. It fits in a slim accordion folder and will be a classic.

I've ressurected an inherited 2011 13" MacBook Air but like all my computers, I've only acquired base or refurb; it will not run a higher OS than High Sierra. Yes, I bitched about change, but I've gotten accustomed to the new OS, specifically in Pages and Numbers.

Plus going from 11.6-inches (1366 x 768 @ 135 ppi) and 13.3-inch (1440 x 900 @ 128 ppi) resolution to the new Air or Pro display should be eyeball-helpful. 13.3-inch (2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch)

But Air or Pro? Who buys the Pro over Air?

Disclaimer, I'll buy a refurb direct from Apple, the cheapest one. $809 vs $1059. Plus 6% tax.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Woodman, check your email. I may have something that interests you.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
get either the M1 chip or go get the 16" MacBook Pro. I hate Apple and these two computers are the snizzel.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 13" Pro. My daughter has the Air. She says she wished she had spent a little more $ for the Pro.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
One word: Pro

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
One word: Pro

Yup. I'm a zero fan of Apple but my wife is. Pro is the only way to go in her opinion.

Posts: 7557 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
BC, yes. I'm hitting the REPLY now.

No answers so far. What's the hip of the Pro? Mo' slots? The battray gives a little more hours, but I'm plugged in most all of the time.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
MB Pro

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Air is a pleasing development in design, however unless you're constantly traveling, I prefer the MBP.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The Air is a pleasing development in design, however unless you're constantly traveling, I prefer the MBP.

My 11" Air has jetted / road-tripped 15-20 times. Makes travelling for 2-3 weeks with a single carry-on duffle easy to do. I'm mostly a reclining user. Did my state tax return this morning laying on the couch. Pretty much zero table computer work over the past several years, since I've gone digital-everything.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Just bought my wife the Air. She's an Apple user. I actually recommended it for her considering her immersion in the Apple world with the iPhone, icloud, etc.

Just a heads up, I purchased online through Best Buy. My Amex had an offer for $50 credit if you spend at least $50, and it can be used two times. So i got $100 off her Air. The offer was for online orders only though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My MIL boght from Best Buy. It had BB software on it, including BB Safari favorites and BB Safari homepage.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The Pro is $200 more than the Air for a similar configuration.
You don't get more slots, though: it has only 2 Thunderbolt 4/USB 3.1 slots like the Air.
You get the Touchscreen which is not very useful; both the Air and Pro have fingerprint ID which is very useful.

Note that with either M1 chip computer, it will NOT run on anything before MacOS 11 Big Sur.

I bought my wife an M1 Air for Christmas (see my thread on that for more details), and am using it now.

I am waiting for spring, when I hope Apple comes out with a more powerful 12-core M1 chip MacBook Pro, hopefully with more slots.

The current M1 MacMini does have USB A slots in addition to two that are Thunderbolt 4 (basically same as Thunderbolt 3) and USB 3.1 compliant.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
The base M1 MacBook Air (MBA) has only 7 graphic cores vs 8 for the 13" MacBook Pro (MBP).

The MBP has a fan for when additional cooling is needed (for most is rare).

Here is a comparison: M1 MacBook Air vs M1 MacBook Pro which should you buy

There are rumors of a new form factor MBA. Though I would expect any announcement of new Macs with a new design to be announced at some sort of event; be it a special event (March or later in the year) or the WWDC (usually June).

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
depending on the generation, beware the new flat butterfly keyboards. I bought my kids Airs over Pros for college because they actually will need to type a lot, and the Pro (a few years ago) was a horrible keyboard. Not sure on the new. But if you're in refurb, you may be a little older?

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
My first foray into Macs was a 13" Air. There was a learning curve that I never quite got over. However, I think it's called bootcamp that allows you to install Windows onto separate partition. This laptop is a 2010~ model. At any rate, to give you an idea of age, it supported Windows 7.

So that's what I run on it and all's well in the world. I don't do anything on it that's all that demanding. I will tell you that Windows does run the battery down faster than if I'm running Snow Leopard. So if I know I'm going to be using it for extended period of time with access to power, I'll run on native Snow Leopard.

I would imagine latest MBP still allow bootcamping and have much improved battery life since mine was made. Remember these machines originally came with the equivalent of SSD, I forget formal term for it, it's on a chip...So they are still plenty fast for what they are.

If you value price and portability, the Air is better candidate; otherwise you'll probably prefer the Pro.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I haven't had occasion yet to try out the new M1 Macs, but from what I've read, there is very little difference in the Air and the Pro for these first new M1s. I believe that's mainly because the 13" M1 MBP is a low end model of the Pros. There are supposed to be 14" and 16" models coming out later this year that will be more in line with a "pro" MBP.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is if you were to buy an M1 right now, the Air is the way to go, plus save some $$ in the process.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote Mac Pro, just because mine was my favorite computer ever. That was years ago, sure they have changed things since. Good luck with your choice!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I have the $999 8-core/7GPU-core 8GB ram MacBook Air and I cannot slow this thing down. Let’s be real though: I don’t do any rendering or compiling or major LightRoom job queues.

That being said, I hit it hard with a huge mailbox in Outlook, probably a dozen spreadsheets, dozens of Chrome tabs across three desktop full-screen Chrome instances, Slack, VMware View session, Box, OneDrive, a split-screen finder desktop, GlobalProtect VPN + a full screen Microsoft RDP connection to my tower at the office.

And a full screen Spotify desktop.

I can’t get the memory pressure to go higher than 50ish percent, and it never slows down and never gets hot and I run 8-10 hours and never even look at my battery.

Unless you’re a gamer or run video rendering, I can’t imagine getting a beefier M1, and unless you HAVE to buy an older refurbished Mac, I can’t imagine anyone ever buying an Intel Mac in the 13” package. Ever again.

Intel is a hot mess compared to what’s possible with these new Macs. Hell, I can open a 50mb spreadsheet 3 times over before my coworkers Intel quad-core 16g 2020 MBP can launch it once.

Anywhoooooo

EDIT - Whoops hit submit on accident.

YMMV, and I realize this is all anecdotal. The fan equipped MBP M1 is a smart choice too as is any Mac that fits your budget. Big Grin

I sure as hell love the M1 tho and I love what it means for not only future Apple computers, but the industry in general. Intel and Microsoft have a problem and I can tell AMD is aware of it too.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post