SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turks nightmare The end
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turks nightmare The end Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I certainly have no desire to go to T&C, after seeing all this.

Killed my hopes to go there, too. I guess I don’t understand why a British overseas territory is messing with Americans. Supposedly, they have to answer to the crown..and I thought we were on reasonable terms..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5490 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Mike, I’m sorry for all you and your family have gone through in this ordeal but am glad it’s over for you now. Hoping the other Americans who are still there will be freed and home soon. T&C is definitely off of my visit list.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2157 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the US would institute a travel ban on Turks, say for two years, I suspect their criminal .gov would stop pulling these fleecing jobs on Americans.

-c1steve

Posts: 4117 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like it would be easy to seek out in the middle of the night to a waiting sailboat that could take you to us territory like the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico.

Posts: 105 | Registered: April 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Mike, happy to hear this is in your rear view, good luck going forward.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6356 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to hear this ordeal is behind you now. Good luck with life moving forward, and yes, never visit that anti-American shithole ever again.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwl5:
Seems like it would be easy to seek out in the middle of the night to a waiting sailboat that could take you to us territory like the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico.

It would be super easy. Do not know if there is an extradition treaty though.

-c1steve

Posts: 4117 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following comment doesn't add anything to the discussion directly, but I think it needs to be said.

This forum has some really good people. I suspect we all feel this way, but I wanted to put it in a post.

Posts: 788 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:

Just found a pdf of an extradition treaty between Great Britain and us that was done in the 70’s. In it the offense had to be a crime on the us in order for extradition to occur.

Posts: 105 | Registered: April 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:
And if you were caught, you would, without any doubt, serve years in that prison I described on the previous page.

It's madness to try it. No sane person who has anything to lose would try it.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I certainly have no desire to go to T&C, after seeing all this.

Killed my hopes to go there, too. I guess I don’t understand why a British overseas territory is messing with Americans. Supposedly, they have to answer to the crown..and I thought we were on reasonable terms..

It is someone with an agenda. I have been in and out of Turks and Caicos over a dozen times. I have also had weapons and ammo (undeclared) about 1/3 of those times. This was on private yachts that happened to have them on board for protection or sporting (trap shooting from the yacht). In the past if the customs agent saw them they'd just look the other way, like most every other third world Island I've been to or you just hand them $100 or a bottle of booze.

Problem is, IF you declare them, they take them to the police station for safe keeping......well then you tell them, we're leaving at 8am on Saturday bring them to the yacht, they show up whenever they feel like it with them......11am......2pm...and you have to depart right then and there..........and you NEED to leave the dock at 8am to safely get to and into the next port, so very few declare them. It's SOP, you're more worried about pirates and getting killed than you are of getting caught with them.

In these 2 situations, I hope it REALLY kills their tourism. Because in both situations, it was a couple of rounds of ammo, and they're acting like they confiscated a full auto mac 10 or something.........

Posts: 21406 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a nightmare, glad it is over. Sure makes me appreciate the freedoms we have here.

Posts: 454 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have spoken to people on large yachts, around 150', and they carried full auto AR's. I know that one of the boats, when it went into Canada, declared the rifles and it was fine. Usually Canada customs would go ballistic, but apparently this is common for those super yachts.

These boats are a target for robbers of all types, and customs everywhere let them keep the firearms on board. When this boat went through the Suez canal and that general area, the crew on watch carried the weapons loaded with their eyes on the sea at all times. Usually the M-16s were stored in secure location.

-c1steve

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words. Happy Independence Day! Thank God we threw off the Brits and their judicial system. The brave men that signed that declaration knew it was their death sentence if they failed. What fearless ancestors we had. May they rest in peace.

Posts: 7 | Registered: December 12, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post