SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rescued the trapped hummingbird
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rescued the trapped hummingbird Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/6K-n58nSR9E

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39780 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Good on that guy.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9104 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Good on ya, 'too.

Had one in my garage the other day, but he finally found his way out.

Got a robin that insists on building a nest in the back entry windbreak. If I catch her at it early enough often enough, she gives up and moves it to a better place. Been 2 years in a row. Wonder if it's the same bird?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Good on that guy.
At about 0:29, "that guy" appears to be Screaming Cockatoo.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30861 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
They'll wear themselves out trying to fly out. For some reason they won't fly down and out.
So I remove about 4 a year.

Posts: 39780 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Good on you SC. I love the humming birds that come to my feeder. I just moved here to SE TN and put one up. The birds were shy at first but, now are starting to come around on a regular basis.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coker Creek,TN

I'm about an hour and half south of you of you ever wanna come shoot at my place!

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for saving her.

They get into our screened porch. I leave the door cracked for the dogs. Ours get so tired that I can just walk up and pluck them off the screen by hand and let them go outside.

Sometime I sit them on the feeder so they can get some energy.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20340 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Thanks for saving her.

Sometime I sit them on the feeder so they can get some energy.

RMD

Big Grin
Sometimes They'll sit on my finger and drink from a feeder after I collect one.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Am I bad for laughing and thinking about those rescue videos where they reintroduce the poor thing back into the wild and not many seconds later it gets pounced on by a predator? Big Grin

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19779 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
The rabbit escaping the cat to get snatched by an owl is my favorite... Eek

Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Great job. I have quite a few around my condo. They come very close to you sometimes.
They have pretty colored chest.

Posts: 1896 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SeaCliff:
Great job. I have quite a few around my condo. They come very close to you sometimes.
They have pretty colored chest.

Male Ruby Throat.
If you're lucky you can catch their courtship display.

Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
yay you

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Ran across this not to long ago. Kind of relaxing just to watch

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Just wow. Eek

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice of you to take the effort to rescue the little guy!

I have a few birds (and bats) flying in and out of my shop. Everything seems to find the small hole near the top by the fan. Lucky for me, it is easy for them to find when I stop what I'm doing and turn all the lights off. Now if it would only take the 15 minutes or so for the rattlesnakes and armadillos...

Posts: 9212 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I have to get the errant swift out of the lower garage at times too.

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Ran across this not to long ago. Kind of relaxing just to watch

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YAer4rDnA6I?rel=0" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Is that a sugar water pump in the video? Smile

We would occasionally get a hummingbird in the garage and they tend to go straight for the ceiling.
I would follow them with a straw broom (extended upward) until they tired and landed on the broom.
Then they would be put outside there they immediately 'flew the coop' and soared skyward.

Would be really neat if one landed on my finger though.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Yay! Way to go!

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5165 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post