SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LUNCH: Cheesesteak goodness inside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LUNCH: Cheesesteak goodness inside Login/Join 
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted
I've been craving a good, no GREAT cheesesteak sandwich since the recipe thread about a month ago. I've ordered a few from restaurants only to be incredibly disappointed. It's sad because only a little more effort and you can make a substandard sandwich into a carnal food experience. Sadly the closest thing to scratching my itch was Jersey Mike's Big Kahuna which is actually very good.

Today's lunch -

About 12 oz of Ribeye, sliced thin across the grain. Seasoned with salt and pepper and brought to room temp while the veggies cook.

One Green Bell Pepper, one Yellow Onion, 8 oz sliced mini portobello shrooms. Sliced into bite size pieces and cooked down in a hot cast iron pan in olive oil.

Cook them thoroughly. When they begin to carmelize, throw in some flavored sauce and cover. . I used s diluted worsteshire (~ 5-1 water) only because I didn't have any Dale's. Whatever you like. Help steam and flavor.

Toss in the ribeye , stir and cook. Only takes a few minutes.

Throw in more flavor sauce. Once the pink is about gone, throw in your cheese. I used about 10 oz of a Swiss and Guyere mix. Stir and cover, repeat.

Melt good while your buttered hoagie toasts. I used a pretzel roll because that is the closest thing I could find to a hoagie at Trader Joe's. Pile it on and enjoy with the beverage of your choice.

Don't be stingy with the chees. I thought I had maybe overdone it but it was perfect. The cheese keeps the whole thing glued together and easy to eat, not to mention TASTY! After all, it's a cheesesteak, not a steakcheese.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Screw the cheese whiz and low grade meat. Yours looks fantastic. I'll be right over!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
A classic combination of ingredients. Sounds and looks delicious!

Posts: 7260 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Screw the cheese whiz and low grade meat. Yours looks fantastic. I'll be right over!
there's leftovers!

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Yowzers!

I was inspired by the prior thread a few weeks ago to order a cheesesteak sandwich when my son and I went to a local restaurant. What a disappointment! Virtually flavorless.

This has real possibilities!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'd planned on some leftover bean soup and a salad for supper. That somehow seems woefully inadequate now. Frown

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That looks like pure heaven. That surely needed some protection.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Whoa, that looks good!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add I took out about 1/3 of the veggie mix prepared.

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Thanks for deciding what is for dinner tonight. Woman has left for the store. Excited!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mmmmm.

Nicely done.
Very envious.

Posts: 217 | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Is that the Marzy version with real ribeye? Eek

LOVE the fact you used cast iron!

PERFECTION!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34121 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I picked up on the Dale's tip from your video, didn't have that so I improvised. Thought about using beer too.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Beautiful effort slicing the meat!

Sometimes I dig out some of the bread inside the roll, like a dug-out canoe.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Oh wow!!!

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
It was delicious!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you enjoyed it, but there are a few things that I'm an unrepentant purist about. Cheesesteak happens to be one of them.

Cheese WITH!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE] there's leftovers![/QUOTE]

I think you're pulling our leg, there's no way Cool

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post