SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fifth Circuit ruled that the federal ban on direct interstate handgun sales violates the Second Amendment.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Fifth Circuit ruled that the federal ban on direct interstate handgun sales violates the Second Amendment. Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
That's gonna leave a mark on gun grabbers asses...


https://x.com/scotus_wire/status/2101061133369270532

 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Dominos... Cool

quote:
The majority said the ban implicates the Second Amendment because the right to keep arms necessarily includes the right to purchase them. It then found the government’s historical analogues too dissimilar to justify a categorical ban on direct interstate handgun sales.



https://x.com/scotus_wire/status/2101061142172852642

Fifth Circuit Ruling (17 Pages) --> https://storage.courtlistener.....ca5.227135.83.1.pdf

quote:
The Ban sullies the plain text of the Second Amendment and is inconsistent with the nation’s tradition of firearms regulation, dating back to the founding era, under that Amendment. The judgment of dismissal is REVERSED, and judgment is RENDERED for the plaintiffs.


____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 47....Making America Great Again!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 11249 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Dominos... Cool

And for once falling away from us?




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not on the same page of the playbook as to the meaning of direct. When were interstate handgun sales ever direct? They have to be shipped to a FFL.
 
Posts: 32047 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
The FFL requirement and the form 4473 have their roots in the '68 GCA. That's when direct mail order was prohibited.

The first FFLs were created in the 1938 Federal Firearms Act (I had never seen this one before) but "Introduced basic federal licenses for interstate commerce, required simple logbooks, but lacked a standardized federal background questionnaire."
 
Posts: 7964 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good question about what it means. Someone ( Roll Eyes ) should read the ruling and see what it actually says.

My immediate assumption was that being prohibited from purchasing a handgun outside the state of one’s residence was unconstitutional.
I can purchase a handgun from an out-of-state dealer, but only if it goes through a Colorado dealer, not “directly” from the original dealer.

It wouldn’t affect the other requirements, and might still be subject to the limits of one’s state of residence. I.e., if purchased from an FFL holder it would still be necessary for a background check. I could also see a requirement that if I, a Colorado resident, wanted to purchase a handgun in Kansas it would still have to go through a dealer, and not individual to individual.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Handgun sales...



https://x.com/TheJusticeDept/s.../2100985403247386697

quote:
Today, the Department of Justice’s Office of Legal Counsel released a legal opinion concluding that the federal prohibition may not be enforced against licensed dealers selling handguns to otherwise law-abiding adults ages 18 to 20 consistent with the Second Amendment.

The Office of Legal Counsel’s new opinion explains that federal statutes 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1) and (c)(1) are inconsistent with the Second Amendment as interpreted by the Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller, New York State Rifle & Pistol Ass’n v. Bruen, and subsequent decisions including Wolford v. Lopez. These statutes generally prohibit federally licensed dealers from selling handguns or handgun ammunition to individuals under 21.

The Office of Legal Counsel determined that 18 to 20-year-olds are among “the people” protected by the Second Amendment. “Eighteen-year-olds may vote, serve on juries, be drafted, and face adult criminal penalties, including capital punishment,” said Assistant Attorney General T. Elliot Gaiser for the Department of Justice’s Office of Legal Counsel. "The Constitution protects the people’s right to keep and bear arms. The Department of Justice may not constitutionally seek to impose criminal penalties on dealers who sell handguns to law-abiding adults who, in nearly every other relevant respect, are members of the political community.”

Because the restrictions burden the ability of members of “the people” to acquire commonly used arms, they fall within the Amendment’s plain text and are presumptively unconstitutional. The Office of Legal Counsel found no Founding era history or tradition of precluding legal adults from purchasing firearms to protect public safety. To the contrary, at the Founding, militia statutes overwhelmingly required service beginning at 18 and required enrollees to furnish their own arms.

The Office of Legal Counsel concludes that Section 922(b)(1) and (c)(1) may not be enforced to impose criminal penalties on dealers who sell handguns to a class of law-abiding adults who, in nearly every other relevant respect, are members of the political community.

Office of Legal Counsel opinion --> https://www.justice.gov/olc/media/1461811/dl


____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 47....Making America Great Again!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 11249 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've only done one 4473 for someone under 21 (it was a rifle), but my understanding is NICS checks on under 21 yr olds all come back with a delay. If 18 yr olds start buying handguns from FFLs soon, I think they'd all come back with delays. Not that it's a big deal, but it's almost like a built-in waiting period, unless states start issuing CCWs to the under-21 crowd too.


Freewill Firearms
07 FFL, Class 2 SOT
 
Posts: 4445 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^ NH already issues CCW Permits to 18 YOs, always has, but regardless of whether you have a CCW Permit, a NICS check is performed on any FFL Transfer. Also in NH, the NICS checks for handguns are handled differently than those for long guns. While a NICS Check for a long gun is called in to the FBI NICS system directly by the FFL, those for handguns are handled by the NH State Police, which in addition to running the NICS Check through the FBI, also checks the individual against an in-state database re: pending/filed Protection Orders, etc not yet in the NICS system. We usually get the ‘proceed’ approvals while they’re still on the phone calling it in, so it doesn’t add any add’l delay.


____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 47....Making America Great Again!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 11249 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
How does this apply to something like the California roster? Would I be able to buy a handgun through an FFL in say Idaho and bring it back to CA?



"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"
 
Posts: 3580 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the ruling says?

I haven’t read it myself, but for pure speculation, it seems unlikely that if gun shops start selling to out of state residents that they would sell something that the individual couldn’t legally own back home. Due to possible/probably legal actions being taken by the home states, Internet vendors have had that policy for years now. For example, unless one has an exemption from the law, most/all online vendors won’t sell magazines that hold more than 15 rounds to Colorado residents.

I could violate the law by going to Wyoming to purchase and bring back a ≥16-round mag because I wouldn’t have to prove where I lived, but even under this ruling a firearms purchase background check would require something showing one’s residence.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I don't know how an FFL can even run a NICS check on someone with an out of state license. First time I did it on an airman stationed here with PCS papers, which is totally legal, it got kicked back for having a DL in a state other than where my licensed premises are located. I forget how I got around it, but it is an issue.


Freewill Firearms
07 FFL, Class 2 SOT
 
Posts: 4445 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I don't know how an FFL can even run a NICS check on someone with an out of state license.

That would obviously have to be addressed as a basic factor if out of state purchases become legal. Until then, though ....




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I don't know how an FFL can even run a NICS check on someone with an out of state license. First time I did it on an airman stationed here with PCS papers, which is totally legal, it got kicked back for having a DL in a state other than where my licensed premises are located. I forget how I got around it, but it is an issue.

That doesn't seem right because it's perfectly legal and common to purchase a rifle out of state for residents of the many states that allow it, which is most free states. There is no good reason this shouldn't be extended to handguns, which I hope is what this ruling addresses.
 
Posts: 2906 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly. It’s done all day everyday


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26955 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fifth Circuit ruled that the federal ban on direct interstate handgun sales violates the Second Amendment.

© SIGforum 2026