SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electronics gurus. Relays and home automation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronics gurus. Relays and home automation. Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
Long story short, I've built/am building a station alerting system at my department. The system works by sounding a tone and radio audio over speakers in the building whenever there is a call. This part has been completed, now I'm looking into having the lights in the station come on at the same time this system is activated.

The radio that operates the system has output triggers that operate at 12v and very few (think 5-10) milliamps. I'm looking for a relay that can handle this low of a current and close a dry contact circuit.

The dry contact circuit would be connected to an X10 Powerflash home automation module which would then activate switches in the building to turn on the lights.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Altronix has relays that will handle this. I use them frequently.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Would this be the correct one?

https://www.altronix.com/products/RBSNTTL

Then connect the contacts on the powerflash to the common and normally open terminals on one side?

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
That’s a versatile relay. It has both a (+) and (-) trigger, and the relay contacts will handle 1A@120VAC or 2A@30V. Power the relay from the same DC source that supplies the transistor output.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Actually now that I think about it, this might be the one I need so that it will be easier to set how long the lights are on after the radio activates them. Assuming this is the right one for the application:

https://www.altronix.com/products/6062

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Yeah I’ve used tons of those 6062s and also the Elk Products 960.

RB

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Thank you!