SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police officer exposed to Fentanyl during vehicle search (article + video)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police officer exposed to Fentanyl during vehicle search (article + video) Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
While wearing gloves, she finds the fentanyl inside a dollar bill during a vehicle search. Seeing the dollar bill she called it out to other officers involved with the search, as she suspected something might be in it. Only the briefest of exposure. She was fine...and then she wasn't. After receiving Narcan she was revived, until the Narcan wore off, and she went back into overdose symptoms.

The video may be disturbing to watch, but I think this is just the most recent example of the dangers our LEOs face on a daily basis. It's one thing to read or hear reports of fentanyl exposure, and another to actually see its effects.

Fentanyl needs to stop being treated as an illegal substance, and be treated for what it really is... Poison.

Glad to see that she is going to be ok.

[Note: the news report contains an embedded video, found at the linked website article. I'm including the additional YT vid because it contains different body-cam recordings and info worth noting that some may find interesting or helpful. There are other videos of LEOs poisoned by fentanyl found on YT.]

==================

Tavares police officer treated for overdose after coming in contact with fentanyl

Updated: 10:45 PM EST Dec 13, 2022

TAVARES, Fla. — NOTE: The video above can be difficult to watch. The officer seen in the video is OK.

Tavares police said they are releasing difficult-to-watch footage of an officer who is now doing OK as a warning about how dangerous fentanyl can be.

Courtney Sullivan with the Tavares Police Department said Officer Courtney Bannick found narcotics on a passenger during a traffic stop Monday night.

"Whenever she saw it rolled up in a dollar bill, she noticed that. She just barely opened it and saw that it was narcotics. Closed it quickly," Sullivan said.

Sullivan said Bannick wore gloves as she always did.

The officers agreed to test the substance back at the department, trying to avoid exposure because it was windy.

"Next thing you know, she was trying to speak on the radio and you could hear in the radio traffic almost like she was choking," Sullivan said.

Police say Bannick was having trouble breathing and drifting in and out of consciousness.

Officers ran to get the emergency medication Narcan.

"It's a blocker for 15 to 30 minutes. So it's a small window where you wake up and you're like, 'OK, I'm fine,' but you're not. It's a small window to get to the hospital and to get the care that you need," Sullivan said.

The body camera footage shows Bannick reviving, even speaking, then passing out again.

"That was the Narcan essentially ending its blockage and then her overdosing again. So they administered a third Narcan," Sullivan said.

Bannick was taken to the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

"Officer Bannick really wants others to take away that this drug is dangerous. It's dangerous for not only yourself but others around you. Something as simple as the wind could expose you and just like that, your life could end," Sullivan said.

Police say the person involved will face felony charges but that they are still investigating the whole incident.

Police say this scary situation happened even though she was wearing gloves and practiced safe handling of the drug.

=====================

This news report makes the point that the steps taken a few years ago to protect LEOs from overdose exposure to fentanyl are no longer adequate, and that today's exposures require administering higher doses of narcan.

@ 3 minute news report

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lJZyAMYnFEo

Edited: based on the informative ongoing discussion in this thread, I'm removing my use of the word "poison" in connection to Fentany in the subject line.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Tavares isn't far from many members in CFL, smaller town on the outskirts of Orlando.

Anyone with this shit that causes injury or exposure to a LEO should be charged with attempted murder on Law Enforcement, Its deadly and no different than shooting at them with a gun, hitting them with a car, stabbing someone with a knife...

Posts: 23556 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm very worried about when we start seeing food at grocery stores dosed with this shit.
A couple weeks ago their was a drug bust where 45 pounds of this crap was found. If the residue from a dollar bill can do that what is 45 pounds capable of?

quote:
Anyone with this shit that causes injury or exposure to a LEO anyone should be charged with attempted murder on Law Enforcement period

Your vocation shouldn't be a factor. Plumbers and pizza delivery boys all have the same skin in the game of life.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Weve received countless briefings and had every toxicologist tell us that fentanyl isnt readily absorbed through casual transdermal contact. In this video shes clearly wearing nitrile gloves as well which are marketed to be fentanyl resistant. So with several of these cases in mind I wonder if 1: The experts are just flat out wrong. 2: The fentanyl was absorbed by other means/route.

Is if this stuff was so dangerous just via transdermal contact, then why arent dealers ODing left and right? I mean this guy was walking around daily with this crap in a dollar and no issues- this cop barely looks at it for a second while wearing PPE and drops? Thats just odd to me.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Weve received countless briefings and had every toxicologist tell us that fentanyl isnt readily absorbed through casual transdermal contact. In this video shes clearly wearing nitrile gloves as well which are marketed to be fentanyl resistant. So with several of these cases in mind I wonder if 1: The experts are just flat out wrong. 2: The fentanyl was absorbed by other means/route.

Is if this stuff was so dangerous just via transdermal contact, then why arent dealers ODing left and right? I mean this guy was walking around daily with this crap in a dollar and no issues- this cop barely looks at it for a second while wearing PPE and drops? Thats just odd to me.

I was remiss in not including this in my initial comments and apologize.

One of the reports I caught on this incident indicates she suspected an illegal substance, briefly opened it, and then quickly closed it, as the officers were concerned about the windy conditions and decided to deliver it to a lab for testing.

They suspect she was exposed to the fentanyl because of the windy conditions. Whether the wind blew the fentanyl onto other exposed parts of her body not covered by latex, or whether she breathed it in isn't known.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Every single time one of these cases occurs, something is missing.

A lab report.

Why are there no lab reports showing the presence of narcotics in their system? Every professional that I've ever spoken to or read about as far as this topic is concerned says that it's highly unlikely to be an OD. If incidental exposure is causing an OD, a blood test would verify it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish that folks would quit calling this "fentanyl".

As an anesthetist since 1984, I have handled and administered remifentanil, fentanyl and sufentanil( much more potent and concentrated than fentanyl) on a daily basis. I know how these drugs work and what effects they have on people. That my job!

Countless times, I have accidently spilled or splashed small amounts of these drugs on my skin. I have even accidentally been squirted in the face with these drugs. I have NEVER had any kind of adverse reaction to these drugs, nor have I experienced any kind of noticeable effects at all. This leads me to the conclusion that while there is definitely a drug on the street that is an opioid, it is most definitely NOT fentanyl.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
No need to put flour in envelopes and mail them to people, companies, and government agencies to be a problem. When bad guys figure out how easy it is to screw people up with this shit and how easy it is to find we are going to have real problems.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
I wish that folks would quit calling this "fentanyl".

As an anesthetist since 1984, I have handled and administered remifentanil, fentanyl and sufentanil( much more potent and concentrated than fentanyl) on a daily basis. I know how these drugs work and what effects they have on people. That my job!

Countless times, I have accidently spilled or splashed small amounts of these drugs on my skin. I have even accidentally been squirted in the face with these drugs. I have NEVER had any kind of adverse reaction to these drugs, nor have I experienced any kind of noticeable effects at all. This leads me to the conclusion that while there is definitely a drug on the street that is an opioid, it is most definitely NOT fentanyl.

Interesting comment. I knew that fentanyl was used for legitimate medical purposes in anasthesia, but I assumed that there were safeguards in place for medical professionals to use it safely. I'm not at all certain but I believe that, during several medical procedures, I received some anasthesia that began with "pro", that I thought was a variant or derivative of fentanyl.

I wasn't aware that there was any disagreement or controversy over whether fentanyl was a dangerous substance.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
She inhaled some of the powder, it won’t go thru your skin.

That’s why Mike28w wasn’t dosed when he was exposed.

Glad she is OK

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
After receiving Narcan she was revived, until the Narcan wore off, and she went back into overdose symptoms.

That's how Narcan works. It doesn't "cure you" by removing the opiates from your system , it just temporarily blocks the effects to buy time until you can get to a higher level of emergency medical care. This often involves subsequent Narcan doses as each previous dose wears off after several minutes and the opiate's effects kick back in to render them unconscious/unable to breathe again.

Think of it like taking a painkiller for a broken leg. The painkiller doesn't fix your broken leg, it just suppresses the pain for a bit.

quote:

She likely inhaled it.

Posts: 32546 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting comment. I knew that fentanyl was used for legitimate medical purposes in anasthesia, but I assumed that there were safeguards in place for medical professionals to use it safely. I'm not at all certain but I believe that, during several medical procedures, I received some anasthesia that began with "pro", that I thought was a variant or derivative of fentanyl.

I wasn't aware that there was any disagreement or controversy over whether fentanyl was a dangerous substance.

When someone is either sedated or receives a general anesthetic by an anesthetist or anesthesiologist, drugs that are frequently used are propofol, midazolam, fentanyl and an inhalation agent (if receiving a general). Most practitioner will use a combination of all of these drugs with each case.

1.Propofol is a "hypnotic", it is good at putting you to sleep quickly and smoothly and has some anti-nausea effects too. Very little hangover. No effect on pain and not very good effects on amnesia.
2.Midazolam causes amnesia and is very good at reducing anxiety. Not good at reliably keeping you asleep. Not helpful for pain relief.
3. Fentanyl is an opioid. It is excellent at controlling pain but does not put people to sleep and does not cause amnesia. Adverse effects include possible significant respiratory depression and nausea.
4.There are two common inhalation agents: "sevoflurane" and "desflurane". Inhalation agents are used for general anesthesia when it is imperative that the person is unconscious. These are good at causing amnesia/unconsciousness but have little effect on pain and can cause nausea and leave you hungover.

It is unusual for an anesthetist to use just a single drug. They almost always combine these drugs as studies frequently show that these drugs potentiate each other, so that you can use lower dose of some of the more troublesome drugs.

Sorry for the lecture.... I enjoy talking shop!

PS: You can think of us as a kind of high-tech bartender! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
After receiving Narcan she was revived, until the Narcan wore off, and she went back into overdose symptoms.

That's how Narcan works. It doesn't "cure you" by removing the opiates from your system , it just temporarily blocks the effects to buy time until you can get to a higher level of emergency medical care. This often involves subsequent Narcan doses as each previous dose wears off after several minutes and the opiate's effects kick back in to render them unconscious/unable to breathe again.

Think of it like taking a painkiller for a broken leg. The painkiller doesn't fix your broken leg, it just suppresses the pain for a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I was aware that Narcan was commonly carried and used by first responders, but I never took the time to learn anymore about it. Figured you just gave an opiate OD an injection and they were G-T-G until they reached the hospital. Although, thinking on it now, we have a pretty well publicized incident of first responders administering Narcan to someone arrested, the person died, and they are now being charged in their death.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:

Sorry for the lecture.... I enjoy talking shop!

PS: You can think of us as a kind of high-tech bartender! Big Grin Big Grin

Big Grin Just make mine a double, salt the rim, and hold the fruit.

Not at all. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain this...and everyone one of the anesthesiologists that has put me under was absolutely fantastic. After one procedure, a couple days after getting home from the hospital, I received a text survey from my anesthesiologist's clinic, and gladly gave him top marks.

I'm almost positive I received Propofol for several procedures when the doctor would say something to me, I'd wake up and answer, then go right back out again. I'd come out of the procedure maybe 15-25 minutes later. In a couple different procedures, they used a general that put me all the way out, but I have no idea what they used.

Is Propofol a fentanyl-based anesthesia?

posted Hide Post
quote:

Is Propofol a fentanyl-based anesthesia?

No, they are in different categories.

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

In July 2021, a similar exposure occured to a San Diego Sheriff Deputy.

In the end...Toxicology experts say they don’t believe deputy suffered fentanyl overdose

www.SanDiegoUnionTribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2021-08-09/sheriff-shocked-by-pushback-from-medical-experts-over-fentanyl-video

Sheriff ‘shocked’ by pushback from medical experts over fentanyl video

BY KAREN KUCHER, TERI FIGUEROA
AUG. 9, 2021 10:12 PM PT

SAN DIEGO — Sheriff Bill Gore said Monday that the dramatic video his department publicized last week, intending to highlight the danger of fentanyl to law enforcement, was produced without any input from physicians.

Gore said he, not a doctor, concluded that Deputy David Faiive suffered an overdose from incidental contact with fentanyl in the July 3 incident featured in the video. It showed Faiive collapsing in a San Marcos parking lot after handling suspected narcotics found in a vehicle.

Medical professionals have pushed back, saying there is no evidence that incidental contact — drugs coming in contact with skin or through inhalation — with fentanyl can trigger an overdose. A couple hundred signed an online petition calling for retraction of the video and the news coverage that focused on it.

“I saw the video. Everybody that saw the video saw him seize up, go down, fall on his head,” Gore said. “The drugs tested for fentanyl. It was classic signs of fentanyl overdose — that’s why we called it that.”

The sheriff said he was “shocked” to hear pushback from toxicologists and members of the medical community. Gore pledged to release full, unedited body-worn video of the incident and to seek medical records of the deputy.

The backlash from many people who saw the sheriff’s video was swift and sharp. On social media, toxicologists, doctors and others said an overdose couldn’t have happened the way the Sheriff’s Department had described. They said what they saw in the video did not look at all like an opioid overdose.

UC San Diego associate professor of medicine Leo Beletsky researches opioid overdoses and said the video “adds unnecessary stress to an already strained profession. Inadvertently, in an intention to protect law enforcement, it does harm.”

Several people noted the video was edited and wanted to see the raw footage of what happened.

Gore also took exception to allegations that the department had faked the video.

“We were not trying to deceive anybody, trying to hype the issues,” he said.

The San Diego Union-Tribune’s reporting on the video last week also came under fire for not questioning the Sheriff’s Department’s contention that the deputy had overdosed from fentanyl exposure. Critics noted that reporters failed to talk to toxicologists or other medical professionals.

“It makes me upset with the media that reported it,” said Dr. Andrew Stolbach, a medical toxicologist and an emergency physician at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. “If you are going to do that story, you need to talk to at least one physician.”

Although fentanyl and other drugs designed to mimic its effects have fueled an overdose epidemic in North America, “the risk of clinically significant exposure to emergency responders is extremely low,” according to the statement by the American Academy of Clinical Toxicology and the American College of Medical Toxicology.

Gore said Monday he was surprised that medical professionals had contended that the risk to law enforcement in handling and inhaling fentanyl was overblown.

“I’m sorry, my mind didn’t go to, oh our deputy fainted, our deputy had a panic attack. It just didn’t go there. What was the other logical explanation— to my mind it was an overdose from the drug, from fentanyl.”

Before the deputy fell ill, he and another deputy arrested a suspect on suspicion of drug possession. That person appeared to have a seizure and was taken to a hospital, according to a Sheriff’s Department report.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, they tested the contents of three plastic baggies found at the scene. One tested positive for methamphetamine. The other two were a mix fentanyl and fluorofentanyl.

One of the incident reports the department released Monday contains a description of the deputy’s account of what happened to him.

According to the report, the deputy said he bent down to grab an evidence bag and his face came within 6 inches of where he had been testing the substance. His training officer told the deputy not to get too close, and when he stood up “he felt light-headed and fell down.”

The next thing he remembered was someone spraying naloxone up his nose and then being loaded into an ambulance.

Some toxicologists said that believing a substance can harm you can serve as a “nocebo” — the opposite of a placebo — meaning if you think it will harm you, you feel an effect.

“A nocebo effect could explain what is going on in this incident,” said Dr. Ryan Marino, medical director of toxicology at University Hospitals in Cleveland. “I can say from watching that video he is not having an overdose.”

Marino said that is not to suggest what happened wasn’t real, but rather was “most likely caused by the fear and anxiety caused by this narrative. … it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

Marino said the biggest harm in the narrative of the video was that people who see it will believe the myth that exposure is harmful and won’t want to help people in the midst of a true overdose.

Gore said the deputy, who is out of the country right now, has agreed to sign a release of his records, but said there was a chance there might not have been a toxicology test taken. “If there was no toxicology done at Palomar (Medical Center), I don’t know where that’s going to leave us,” Gore said.

He said the department has operated under the assumption that inhalation or touching it could cause an overdose.
“If we were misinformed so be it we are trying to correct (it),” he said.

In the days since the story broke, a group of health professionals, public health researchers, first responders and others signed a request calling for a retraction of the video and for news outlets to correct the record. They said the Union-Tribune story on Friday perpetuates a myth that casual contact with potent synthetic opioids such as fentanyl poses a health risk to first responders. More than 200 people signed the document.

“This is dangerous misinformation that can cause harm both to people who use opioids and to members of the law enforcement community,” the online petition said.

Spreading such misinformation, the petition says, can stigmatize people who need support in the midst of a public health crisis. It may delay a timely overdose response — either because bystanders will wait for first responders to arrive or because first responders will be delayed as they don unnecessary personal protective equipment. And, they say, it it might cause first responders to suffer emotional trauma if they believe that passive exposures put their lives at risk.

This is the San Diego Sheriff incident:

=== Follow up Report ===

www.SanDiegoUnionTribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2021-08-13/doctors-sheriffs-officials-meet-in-wake-of-fentanyl-video-controversy

Doctors, sheriff’s officials meet in wake of fentanyl video controversy

BY TERI FIGUEROA, KAREN KUCHER
AUG. 13, 2021 8:23 PM PT

SAN DIEGO — Sheriff’s officials met with medical experts Friday to review video of a deputy collapsing after handling illicit drugs — a medical emergency Sheriff Bill Gore had called a fentanyl overdose but which toxicologists and doctors later said could not have resulted from an incidental exposure.

The meeting to get input and insight from the experts came a day after the department released unedited body-worn camera video that showed a deputy collapsing in a parking lot on July 3 after finding and testing three baggies of suspected narcotics he had found inside a Jeep.

The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department had released an edited video of the incident last week to highlight the dangers of fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opioid. Release of that video — and the media coverage of it — drew intense and angry reactions from medical professionals who said characterizing what happened to the deputy as an “overdose” was not only inaccurate but dangerous, because it could further stigmatize drug users and make people less likely to help someone suffering from an overdose.

Dr. Roneet Lev, an emergency department doctor at Mercy Hospital and member of a local task force on fentanyl, was on the call, which she said was a medical review of the incident.

The videos show that within seconds of Deputy David Faiivae collapsing, Cpl. Scott Crane, his trainer, administers the nasal spray naloxone, also known by the brand name Narcan, which is used to reverse the effects of opioids. Crane calls for an ambulance.

“I looked at that and I saw law enforcement operating in a medical capacity with dangers kind of around them and I was in awe of the way that they were able to carry themselves in a professional way like that,” she said. “What they did in the field was correct... When you are in a field, a live situation, that’s not the place to make a diagnosis. That is a time to rescue.”

She said the panelists were happy to help and educate Sheriff’s Department personnel on the call about fentanyl, including how “very rare and almost impossible” it would be for dermal contact or incidental inhalation of powdered fentanyl to cause an overdose.

“I think there is room for education, as far as relieving the stress and the anxiety of dealing with lethal drugs,” she said.

The meeting capped more than a week of controversy over the video, with medical experts pushing back on the narrative that someone can overdose through incidental contact with skin or through inhalation.

Toxicologists, doctors and others have said an overdose couldn’t have happened the way the Sheriff’s Department described in its initial video, released Aug. 5. They said what they saw in the video did not look at all like an opioid overdose — and some said it was likely a panic attack or some other medical issue.

“There is a lot for us to learn from each other,” Lev said. “There should be a partnership between public health and public safety, and I (was) really amazed ... the Sheriff’s Department was willing to reach out and we really learned a lot from each other.”

The department released nearly 55 minutes of footage from the camera worn by Faiivae, a 32-year-old deputy who collapsed after field testing a baggie of white power containing fentanyl.

The department also released more than 53 minutes of footage from the camera worn by Crane, the training officer.

A week earlier, the department had released a roughly four-minute video showing the incident, and said the deputy who fell to the ground had suffered a fentanyl overdose. At the end of the video, Faiivae says he nearly died from an overdose.

But doctors and medical toxicologists said that there is no evidence that incidental contact with fentanyl — either through contact with skin or through inhalation — can trigger an overdose. Many said it’s a myth that leads to unnecessary anxiety among first responders already working a stressful job.

Gore said last week that the response caught him by surprise, that he was unaware that the medical community had said incidental contact overdoses were unlikely.

The video shows Faiivae testing three baggies of white substances in the back of a patrol SUV. While working with the substances, he wears gloves.

When he finishes up, he suddenly falls back onto the pavement. Crane rushes to help and administers the nalaxone, designed to reverse the affects of an overdose.

Some toxicologists said that believing a substance can harm you can serve as a “nocebo” — the opposite of a placebo — meaning if you think it will harm you, you feel an effect.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, testing conducted later at a laboratory revealed that powder in one of the bags was positive for methamphetamine, and the other two contained a mix of fentanyl and fluorofentanyl.

Dr. Lewis Nelson, who chairs the Department of Emergency Medicine and is the director of the Division of Medical Toxicology at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, viewed the newly released footage and said it didn’t change his opinion that the deputy did not suffer a fentanyl overdose.

Nelson, who has written about the myth of passive exposure to fentanyl, said the unedited footage doesn’t change “the relevant facts about fentanyl poisoning.”

“It cannot occur through this type of exposure and people who are fentanyl poisoned are not affected in the way this officer was,” Nelson said in an email.

To determine the deputy had suffered fentanyl poisoning — or to exclude it as a diagnosis — blood or urine analysis would have had to be done. That analysis would reveal whether there was fentanyl in the deputy’s system, he said.

“This would support or refute that the drug entered the body,” Nelson said. “Being in the presence of fentanyl cannot cause poisoning, the drug must enter the body in a sufficient quantity.”

However, the Sheriff’s Department said a hospital did not take a sample from the deputy as part of his treatment, so a toxicology report wasn’t completed. Experts have said many hospitals do not routinely test for fentanyl in suspected overdoses because it’s not necessary to treat the patient.

Dr. Ryan Marino, medical director of toxicology at University Hospitals in Cleveland, also viewed the newly released footage and said it doesn’t change his opinion that the incident was not an overdose.

He also noted that deputies were near the substances multiple times but had no symptoms, and that symptoms developed after his supervisor tells him to “Watch your face close to that (expletive),” and “That stuff’s no joke, it’s super dangerous” while testing it in the back of the car.

Many who watched the shorter, edited version of the video — as well as the newly released full video — praised the deputies for their work, and the training officer for his quick reaction.

Among them is Brandon del Pozo, a retired Vermont police chief who researches addiction, policing and public health at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.

“These are clearly two conscientious deputies and the training officer reacted very coolly, decisively and professionally,” del Pozo said.

Based on what he believed and saw, del Pozo said, Crane acted correctly and did what he could do, “especially since there is never a downside to administering naloxone to an unconscious person when a diagnosis is unknown.”

Another critic noted that the deputy had the forethought to have already had naloxone at the ready in case it was needed.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
There may be some kind of carrier chemical that helps it move through the skin, I don’t know, but Fentanyl can be used (legitimately) via skin contact. Fentanyl patches are sometimes used for things like post-surgical pain management.

They don’t work instantly and they last for hours, but transdermal patches in general frequently use a controlled release mechanism, so I have no idea how fast the actual abortion happens.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is true - the stuff isn't absorbed readily through the skin. It would be useful to know how she was exposed, or if this was, indeed, fentanyl.

If it was as dangerous as this, the users and dealers would be dropping dead all over the place. Just think - users ingest many times this amount, and they all don't OD. I know they are more tolerant, but . . .

Something doesn't add up in these stories.

And fentanyl isn't poison any more than morphine or benzos. They all have legitimate medical use. They can all be abused and they can all be made in shady fly-by-night labs. Banning them won't do anything to solve this problem. I wonder if we can think of some other "dangerous" item some people would ban because they mistakenly blame the thing for the problem instead of the people who misuse it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was lead to believe this isn't real fentanyl but a home made concoction druggies substitute for the real thing. Hence why the potency seems to vary and may explain why it can be transmitted by skin contact.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
A sweet n low's packet's worth of fentanyl can kill 500 people.

This is fucking scary, and China is flooding the states with this poison.

We are at war, nobody wants to admit it.

Posts: 5154 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post