SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The "Toyota War"- Chad vs Libya
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Toyota War"- Chad vs Libya Login/Join 
posted
Never knew this occurred. Maybe it is part of the reason that the Hilux was so popular with ISIS.

https://www.autoevolution.com/...after-it-104487.html

Posts: 772 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toyota, Suzuki and Mitsubishi trucks and minivans are widely used all around the third world due to their reliability and ease of maintenance; not to mention the availability of parts.

There was a company of US Special Forces early-on in GWOT that thought they knew better, who outfitted and shipped over a bunch of F150/250's for their mobility ops in Afghanistan. They broke down halfway through the deployment and were unable to get them fixed. Not sure the overall outcome but, whomever thought of that idea and those who approved it should've had their tabs removed for not thinking like an indig.

Posts: 14660 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in Afghanistan most of the trucks we supplied to the locals were Ford ranger pickups.
The lack of attention the local forces gave to. Equipment was laughable
Everything they were issued quickly broke and was either abandoned or cannabalized to keep other things going, usually fixed by coalition/US troops when we would show up to mentor / assist the afghans and they were no where close to mission capable and made little effort to be so.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Every Chad I know is an asshole.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Every Chad I know is an asshole.
...and they are all married to women named "Libya!"

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A military victory by Chad (with French assistance) over Libya doesn't say much about either.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
A military victory by Chad (with French assistance) over Libya doesn't say much about either.

Huh?

Did you even read the article ?

Cool little story on a subject I knew nothing about.

Thanks OP!

0:01

Posts: 4213 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
My friend was a fly fishing guide in Iceland and he had a Hilux. Every other vehicle up there did not last long. Very rough terrain. But that Hilux just kept on going and going.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ve had this saved, I think it fits here. Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6999 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If I lived where it was available (generally anywhere but the US), I would prefer the Series 70 Land Cruiser pickup over the Hilux:

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

If I lived where it was available (generally anywhere but the US), I would prefer the Series 70 Land Cruiser pickup over the Hilux:

Technically the 1984-1996 models are available here in the states.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Love to get one of those. Wonder how one might import one?

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by henryaz:

There are a number of outfits bringing them in from South America. I have not looked deeply into any of them.
If you are on the FB there are a couple of Land Cruiser groups with immense knowledge of the process.

These folks bring a lot of stuff in from Japan and are held pretty high regard. Though deal strictly with Japanese imports they bring in a ton of Cruisers SUVs but not seen any trucks that I can recall. Not sure how many are in the Japanese market but they may be able to point you in the right direction.
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/inventory/

————————————————

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

There are a number of outfits bringing them in from South America. I have not looked deeply into any of them.
If you are on the FB there are a couple of Land Cruiser groups with immense knowledge of the process.

These folks bring a lot of stuff in from Japan and are held pretty high regard. Though deal strictly with Japanese imports they bring in a ton of Cruisers SUVs but not seen any trucks that I can recall. Not sure how many are in the Japanese market but they may be able to point you in the right direction.

they had one, and it sold quickly

https://www.japaneseclassics.c...-toyota-hilux-truck/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:

That is a Hilux. He is wanting a Land Cruiser.

————————————————

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Technically the 1984-1996 models are available here in the states.

Yes, under the 25 year old rule. To import a newly manufactured Series 70 is an expensive endeavor, as it has to be brought into compliance with current US safety and environmental standards. The diesel engine represents lots of expenses to make this happen. Also, such minor stuff as the speedometer head, which must be replaced as it reads Kph. Replaced with one that reads Mph or both. If they're not already standard, cats would need to be incorporated. And the list goes on. The last time I looked into this, there are companies doing the conversions, but it almost doubles the cost of the LC.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:

That is a Hilux. He is wanting a Land Cruiser.

Correct. I've owned two and am seeking my third. Also, I do not want right side drive, which most cars from Japan or Australia have.

Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between a hi lux and domestic Tacoma TRD off road?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct. I've owned two and am seeking my third. Also, I do not want right side drive, which most cars from Japan or Australia have.

https://m.facebook.com/classic...6h6H1m1ge5ltvtq99UOw

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Most of the working pick up trucks I saw in Iraq and ASTAN where Toyota Hiluxs. I saw some Mitsubishisi, but those where mostly SUVs used by the US guys, I can't remember the model (it started with a P). The fellows from Top Gear did a bit a couple years ago where they tried to kill a hilux (explosives and a multistory building where involved). While I'm a big "Buy American" guy, I would own a Hilux if they where available.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post