SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Need a Good Wine Cork Remover
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Need a Good Wine Cork Remover Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2307 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco used to sell these many years ago. All metal, heavy duty. You’d be one and done with this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Costc...4:g:y50AAOSwvDpa1N22

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I bought the Secura model off of Amazon for my girlfriend on Valentine's Day and she loves it!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Costco used to sell these many years ago. All metal, heavy duty. You’d be one and done with this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Costc...4:g:y50AAOSwvDpa1N22

That's exactly what I have used for years. I like the rabbit style.
I would have to have several bottles of wine in me to pay more than $25-30 for an opener.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned the "Ah so" also known as the "Butler's friend" and Mathus blade style opener.

Been using them for years with no issues. Even have a couple in nice Lasercraft wooden sheaths. Here's a shot of one of them along side a V.Sattui Vineyards (Napa Valley) labeled one. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16230 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a camping trip, my wife brought her wine, but no corkscrew Eek

Luckily, I was driving my work van to pull the trailer. After a few minutes thought, I went out and got a 3/8" wood bit and my battery drill.

At very slow speed, I put the bit down into the cork. Shortly, the cork started to spin, then pulled out easily. A HERO I was!! Big Grin

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
One thing I can tell you is that if you go with the corkscrew style, avoid the all too-ubiquitous auger style. This design is just a drill-bit. A drill-bit is for making holes, not pulling. They're easier to manufacture, so sadly they're so prevalent, but look for the helix coil-style instead.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16366 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't post a link, but simply Google 'electric wine opener.' Target link has a great one for $13.99. Having gone through many types, including the several rabbit-type ones, rechargeable electric is the only way to go! Oster is the one I have.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either the Screwpul or a genuine metal Pultap. I have both for years with no issues from either.
This is the one I like best.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...&qid=1524714945&sr=1

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Bettysnephew has it, I have been using a Pultap for 30 years. Simple, reliable and bulletproof.

I also have a Monopul https://www.amazon.com/6255556...emover/dp/B000UX8TN2
German made and rock solid, used occasionally since I found Pultap.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
All those complications just offer so many ways the wine opener can break.

While on vacation, I picked up a simple wine bottle opener similar to this form. It has a sharp enough blade to take the foil off. A bottle opener. And the corkscrew. It has a part that catches on the lip to provide leverage as I pull the cork out.

Simple is elegance. And effective too.

Corkscrew Wine Bottle Opener

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have three.

An electric that works very well, a Rabbit and a Corkatoo stainless.

All of them work equally well, with my favorite being the Corkatoo.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Aldi sells Winking Owl brand for $2.89 / bottle. The have the newfangled screw tops.
OK, seriously, my old standby is a very cheap, that's cheap as in less than five bucks, all-metal version of the nice looking one that Rey HRH linked to:

Corkscrew Wine Bottle Opener

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30697 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My wife loves this one and she really tests it. You lift and lower and the things out! Very cool to watch.

https://www.amazon.com/Houdini...eywords=Houdini+wine

I'd open every bottle in the house ...

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Laguiole 2-stage. French and expensive, but you will never struggle to open a bottle or cork a bottle of wine. The last corkscrew you will ever buy. Mine is over 20 years old, and we drink *a lot* of wine Big Grin

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Simple is better

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do you ever use an aerator ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd__fBZorx0

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I’m in the restaurant business and really love this model: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw..._od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Best damn cork screw ever. My father has one and it's as smooth as butter.. http://royaldesign.com/us/view...-EAQYASABEgLkF_D_BwE

Ditto on this. I have this one along with my father-in-law’s that had been used for 30+ years. Screwpull makes a plastic corkscrew that uses a similar concept. I have one of those, it works nicely too. I have a rabbit. It’s too big. The waiter corkscrews are compact, but require more work and are prone to tearing up corks.

-Loungechair

Posts: 676 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post