SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Illinois to ban advertising for guns allegedly marketed to kids and militants
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois to ban advertising for guns allegedly marketed to kids and militants Login/Join 
posted
Illinois to ban advertising for guns allegedly marketed to kids and militants

https://apnews.com/article/ill...bf9e462bd854a40faa0c

Illinois will soon outlaw advertising for firearms that officials determine produces a public safety threat or appeals to children, militants or others who might later use the weapons illegally, as the state continues its quest to curb mass shootings.

Gun-rights advocates say the plan, which Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker has pledged to sign into law, is an unreasonably vague decree that violates not only the constitutionally protected right to own guns but also free speech.

Raoul finds precedent in the 25-year-old settlement with large tobacco companies and more recently with advertising for vaping.

“We’ve gone after the marketing that has historically driven up the consumption by minors for those products that are harmful to them,” Raoul said. “The firearms industry shouldn’t be immune to the standards that we put on other industries.”

Except that other industries don’t produce constitutionally protected products, counters the National Shooting Sports Foundation, an industry trade association that has filed federal lawsuits in nearly every state that has approved a similar law.

“They’re infringing on your Second Amendment rights by taking away your First Amendment rights,” foundation spokesperson Mark Oliva said.

More at link

Posts: 13122 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why am I not surprised???

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Sure, the Left's idea of safer communities. Given the fact children are already federally prohibited from purchasing firearms, any attempt to regulate marketing to this demographic is a clear admission gun control is a failure.

Posts: 3569 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Sooo, I guess they'll ban all FPS video games next, right? You know, ANYTHING Call of Duty, and like the entire GTA series (Grand Theft Auto), of course they will. I mean they'd have to, you know, for the children! How about all the action movies with firearm content?

Yeah, probably not... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Much like cigarettes, kids can't buy guns, so how can you market to them?

Posts: 21378 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Not sure I've ever seen gun ads targeting kids or militants, but who knows what the synaptically-challenged folks behind that idea may define as 'kids' and 'militants'.

Posts: 15158 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Not sure I've ever seen gun ads targeting kids or militants, but who knows what the synaptically-challenged folks behind that idea may define as 'kids' and 'militants'.

Me neither. Confused

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
This is silly but not unexpected considering everything else they’re attempting to circumvent the 2nd Amendment. When was the last time a character like Tony the Tiger was waving around an AR-15, a pistol, or a revolver, and saying, “They’re GREAT!”? Since we all know that doesn’t happen, their goal is to end all advertising for all firearms so they throw this at the wall and see what the judicial branch allows to stick.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this mean you cant get your Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo, etc in Illinois anymore?
Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Shall I assume that Illinois will also ban advertising for any video games that feature the use of firearms to blast body parts off of your friends and/or opponents?

Will this also extend to lyrics of music that glorify the use of firearms to 'bust a cap in someone's ass'?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Shall I assume that Illinois will also ban advertising for any video games that feature the use of firearms to blast body parts off of your friends and/or opponents?

Will this also extend to lyrics of music that glorify the use of firearms to 'bust a cap in someone's ass'?

Nope songs are art, and thus 1A protected don'tcha know...

The abuse this will create is going to be the problem, every ad will target "militants" IE you have someone wearing camo, or LEO/Military style wear, boots, holding a gun, since those that determine the offensive ads will be on a committee filled with gun grabbers.

Sure that will be in court soon after it's passed.....

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Outside of gun magazines I can't remember seeing gun ads. Where is the marketing they want to stop?

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Any. Pretty sure anyone who has a gun magazine subscription would meet their definition of "militant".

Unless something goes very wrong, this will be a pee pee slapping of the first order, by the courts.

Of course, everyone thought the courts would deliver a pee pee slapping over the '33 gun control act, and we've had 90 years of that horse pucky.

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
(mumble, grumble) Pursuit of Happiness (mumble, grumble)

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5545 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Much like cigarettes, kids can't buy guns, so how can you market to them?

They took out the "Colt" and "Ruger" advertising in Teen Beat and Soldier of Fortune Magazines sold here in Illinois.

It's gonna work, trust governor pigster! We're going to see the results of this genius move in about a week!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Outside of gun magazines I can't remember seeing gun ads. Where is the marketing they want to stop?
Henry Arms does advertise on TV, but I don't think a reasonable person would say it was directed to children and militants.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m having trouble remembering, have I mentioned how much I hate this state and it’s left wing lunatics?

Posts: 1178 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So militant kids, loophole or REALLY forbidden? Smile Razz

Man they really are throwing anything at the wall hoping for something ultimately to stick.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I thought Commies liked armed militant kids?

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Illinois to ban advertising for guns allegedly marketed to kids and militants

And just what the fuck kind of marketing is this? Roll Eyes

Does anybody remember a magazine ad for Taurus from the late 90s or early 2000s? Captioned "A Terrific Taurus Afternoon," it showed a mother, father, son and daughter plinking with .22 revolvers, accompanied by a Golden Retriever dog. Possibly in response to complaints, later ads added eye and ear protection to the dog. Big Grin

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post