SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Possible move to Vancouver WA - Need info, please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible move to Vancouver WA - Need info, please. Login/Join 
posted
My son has told me there is a good chance he will be leaving New Orleans.... For Vancouver WA. So I have been trying to research the town.
Of course, its across the river from the pestilential shithole known as Portland. The kids company may be opening a new facility in Vancouver, so it may be possible for him to avoid Portland. I have been reading news sites and so called "quality of life" reporting sites but I dont think I am getting the straight poop on anything in the town. VPD has a crime map which indicate theft, car theft and porch pirating are a problem. Do we have any members who actually live in Vancouver or its outskirts?
Here are my questions:
1- Where are decent places to live in Vancouver? He will be renting a two bedroom apartment.
2- What is the true level of day to day crime? Some sources say it varies by neighborhood.
3- Some sources indicate there is an exodus of Portlanders into Vancouver and bringing their problems with them. True?
4- What are the driving conditions in Vancouver as opposed to Portland? Gas appears expensive there. Are roads in good condition? How expensive is car insurance / license plates?
5- Whats the level governmental insanity? Looks like they have fully embraced the 10 round magazine and the 10 day wait to buy a gun.
6- Is it possible to live in Vancouver without experiencing the Portland problems?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16133 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I do not live there and know many will bash the area. I know it decently. I love the PNW. I do not love what a lot of it has become. I do not love the politic's there. But it is one of the most beautiful places in this country imho. The Water, mountains, weather, coast, etc are all spectacular. With some local knowledge you can find some great places to eat.
The traffic sucks. But despite it all I truly love the PNW and all it has to offer. Ymmv and it will certainly be different than the Yoop. Good luck brother

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I'm in Texas, but have two or three LEOs I've corresponded with in that area over the past two or three years. The short version of their advice:

In general, they say Vancouver's biggest crime problems stem from Portland's thieves going into Vancouver because there's better stuff to steal.

Both non-violent (theft and burglary) and violent crime are up. In and near downtown, they say to use caution around the VA Medical Center, Marion, Burton Ridge, Harney Heights, and Esther Short areas.

Homelessness is on the rise, mainly because Portland's sidewalks have literally become too crowded and people are picking up their tents and moving to Vancouver---recently, even into neighborhoods.

Renting an apartment in Vancouver is expensive, and the north part of the city is better than most areas.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Washington has a sales tax and Oregon doesn't. Therefore a lot of Vancouver residents go to Portland to buy stuff. Otherwise, if he would be both working and residing in Vancouver there's no reason why he should HAVE to go to Portland.

Historically, a lot of people who live in Vancouver work in Portland. Since there are only two bridges across the Columbia (well actually three but one is downriver far enough that it doesn't really count), traffic on both of them tends to be ugly during the morning and afternoon commutes. Also, if someone has an accident or breaks down in the area where the freeways funnel onto the bridges - any time of day - it tends to screw up traffic for hours. Of course if your son isn't commuting back and forth regularly (and can avoid the freeway approaches to the bridges) this may be a non-issue.

I can't speak to crime or homeless issues in Vancouver.

Posts: 7277 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does he have any interest in firearms, whether from a collecting or a self defense standpoint?

If so, this state is a loosing proposition.

Wish it wasn’t, I echo the above comments about the natural beauty of the state and the great people (outside of the move in lefties). 30-40 years ago, this was a great place to live.

Now, not so much. I got a few more years left to try and max out the LE pension, but like I tell everybody, I can’t wait to retire and move to the USA…

Bill R

Posts: 1128 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have him look into the Camas/Washougal area. It's not far from Vancouver.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6091 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
Have him look into the Camas/Washougal area. It's not far from Vancouver.

This. Also look at Ridgefield. A lot of nice development and just off I-5.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in the area and I’m bailing. Vancouver is turning into Portland, simple as that. Homeless everywhere and no one does anything about. It’s also in my opinion kind of an ugly city. This state is a mess and one to avoid. I wouldn’t move here for a free house, no way.

The only redeemable thing is the climate and even that’s not what it was years ago. It rains a lot but we used to have beautiful spring and summers. Now it rains until it gets hot, a lot hotter for a lot longer than it used to and it rarely rains in the summer which it used to. This is very bad because the forests dry out severely and catch fire. It’s so bad sometimes it’s unsafe to go outside. When you only get 12 weeks of good weather and 4 plus of them the smoke is so thick visibility is less than 1000 yards it’s miserable all you do is pray it rains.

If you wanted to chat I’d talk to you. I can’t figure out how to send a private message on the forum, maybe it’s not a thing anymore. I’d give you my number to call if you wanted but don’t really want to post it here.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input so far. This kind of stuff is exactly what I was looking for!
Lunchbox:
I will be in touch with you shortly for a phone chat! Thanks!

Posts: 16133 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
And to clarify, this info is for his move, not you moving to live near them?

I lived in WA State decades ago, wouldn’t want to live there or Oregon now. It may be better for him. For a job, maybe out a ways, beyond the riff-raf.

Posts: 6194 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I moved from Phoenix Az to Camas for a job.
Lasted only
6 months.
It rained either all day or was overcast and raining for half a day,
33 days in a row

The C.R G. Is wonderfully beautiful.

But that overcast ,gloomy, dismal weather was too much.

Portland was a sh*t hole back then.

If you can believe Forbes magazine,
WA is in the top ten states that people are fleeing.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54717 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in the hot mess of Puget Sound. For family reasons, I'm not able to move to Northern Idaho where I belong. Regarding Vancouver, it's another hot mess in the making and I would refuse to move there as I'd just trade one hot mess for another. Portland is going to continue to impact Vancouver and degrade it further.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This info is for him only. I have no desire to move to the left coast. What I hope to discover is if the move will be to a better town than New Orleans is now. Based on everything I have read so far, the only real benefits to Vancouver may be no taxes, no hurricanes and less open warfare on the streets.

The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
This info is for him only. I have no desire to move to the left coast. What I hope to discover is if the move will be to a better town than New Orleans is now. Based on everything I have read so far, the only real benefits to Vancouver may be no taxes, no hurricanes and less open warfare on the streets.

A drought is unlikely. Razz

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
lunchbox is over dramatic by a bunch. You can avoid much of the "shithole has become" scenario that many wish to portray. There is no humidity in the summer. Yes it does rain. Much of the PNw is a natural rain forest or is very close to one. They get a lot of really nice weather.
I have a place in Wa. in the PNW. Absolutely love it. No one bothers me. Access to much that is spectacular out weighs the bad stuff which I can avoid with little effort. Except some traffic issues that once I am there are a non issue.

I think your son could really enjoy it. New Orleans has its own shithole aspect as do a ton of places, fwiw

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
"Vancouver, no, not BC, it's in Washington, no, not DC."

Pros:
near PDx airport (which is is OR)
No income tax in the state.
close to outdoor recreation of all types.
very little snow, compared to some places in the country
Pearson Airfield is a cool place if you're into planes.
Fort Vancouver is kind of cool and has a nice fireworks display every July 4th. (I think they still do this)

Cons:
Homelessness / Drugs
Crime rising in the downtown area
bad traffic
housing / renting costs very high
The state is no longer 2A friendly, but CHL's are easy to get.

Does your son have kids? The schools range from good to bad depending on area. A friend moved to Camas because the schools are better there.

If he's "unattached" he may find the prospects in Vancouver are more sane than other places nearby.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10944 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The PNW is the prettiest communist bloc in the world. Maybe do Idaho or NV? Its a few more hours but damn I think it would be worth it. These places arent just circling the drain anymore they're stuck down there with the hair.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
If you can believe Forbes magazine,
WA is in the top ten states that people are fleeing.

I believe it.

Posts: 17229 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never been there and never want to go anywhere on the west coast. It doesn't matter where you are talking about every single state is run by liberals with a severe issue of rectal cranial inversion. As a result taxes are outrageous and gun rights are being eliminated as fast as the liberals can get it done. I would advise your son to find a different employer, because any company thinking about opening up a facility in one of these shithole west coast states is a bunch of Losers.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He will be moving with his GF. The area his business is going to locate to is near:
N/E Fourth Plain Rd and Anderson Rd.
The VPD Crime Map would indicate its a better area.
I believe its called the Ogden neighborhood.