SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To motorcycle or to not motorcycle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To motorcycle or to not motorcycle Login/Join 
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Lots of good thoughts here.

I think you should do it. I just started riding again last year at age 41. I had a bike in my twenties and hung up my spurs after I got hit from behind. It shook me up enough that it killed the joy of riding for me because I just kept waiting to get hit again.

My pastor is a big motorcycle guy and he kind of supplied the extra nudge I needed to get back into it. My wife divorced me last year and I traded in the pontoon boat for a bike. Just being able to get out on the road and clear my head has done wonders for me. I am extremely glad I jumped back into riding. It has been very therapeutic for me and apparently enough time has passed since my accident that I don't overly worry about being hit again.

I'll also echo the thoughts about comparing it to flying. It isn't the same, but motorcycles come closer than anything else, and they are a LOT cheaper.

Get a bike you feel comfortable on, drive it sensibly, and within your capabilities and the bike's, and enjoy the many great things that riding can bring you.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great starter bike if you can find one - Yamaha RD400. It is a two stroke (remember those?) but it has an oil tank and automatic pump that mixes the gas/oil for you. Just check the oil once in a while.

How big are you? The 400 was great for me, but I’m 160 soaking wet. If you’re bigger a 600cc might be good.

Start small and move up. I currently ride a BMW 1000CC and sometimes an 1100. Both are a bear to pick up (500 - 600# dead weight).

Be sure you can “flat foot” any bike you are considering. Both feet are flat to the ground when sitting on it. Will save you and the bike lots of scratches.

I like BMW’s. Riders like me call them Beemers. I have four. 250cc, 500cc, 1000cc and the 1100. The 250 is a single cylinder. All the others are twins.

I do all the wrench work on mine. Newest is the 1100, a 1994 R1100RS. Anything newer gets pretty complex and hard to work on yourself. The Yamaha I mentioned? Cake to work on and maintain. Tool kit under the seat will let you do everything.
Beemers? A little more complex. Remember “Older is simpler”. Often cheaper too. Until you get REALLY old. My R25 (250) is from 1952. A bit pricy for parts. Shop time for Beemers around here costs $90/hr.

Wear helmet, padded jacket and gloves. Head is on a swivel. Car drivers CANNOT judge how fast a bike is going because it is so small compared to a car. They look once, think “bike, small, far away.” They look at you twice “bike still small, still far away, I CAN PULL OUT IN FRONT OF HIM”.

Lots of crazy out there. Now half are looking at their cell phones.

The only one keeping you alive is you.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I had a Yamaha YZ125 when I was 14-15 and then was off a bike until my late 40's. I'd wanted a street bike for years but waited until it was a more appropriate time to get one (daughter was in high school, etc.). My first bike was a 1994 Honda Pacific Coast (800cc, super reliable, easy to ride...it's like a late 80's Honda Accord on 2 wheels.)

As well as the MSF course, I highly recommend you read the books Proficient Motorcycling and Proficient Motorcycling II. I read these over and over several years before I got my bike and it really helped explain a lot of the "whys" that are covered in the MSF course.

Someone had mentioned that riding is a lot like flying. Not so much in the sensations in my experience (8 years in tactical jets and over 350k miles on motorcycles), but they are both a demanding task that require your full concentration most of the time.

Are they dangerous? They can be. But so can a lot of things. You definitely need to ride defensively and I am a firm advocate of ATGATT (all the gear all the time). People will ask me in the summer months when I stop at a country store when I'm out riding, "Aren't you hot dressed like that?" Yes...sometimes I am, but it's a motorcycle and the only thing between you and severe injury sometime is your awareness of your surroundings and your gear. But as they say, everyone ride's their own ride.

No one expects to get into an accident riding - if they did they wouldn't dress in shorts and flip flops or they'd stay home altogether. I think I'm a pretty good rider with good situational awareness and coordination. Despite that accidents happen. I've been in 2. First one a low speed knock down when a young man stopped at a stop sign out in the county waived my friend an I around him. My friend proceeded to go around and as I did he backup up and hit be broadside and knocked me down. Of course his response when he got out of the truck was "I didn't see you." My second one was more drastic - a car ran a flashing red light at the last second and I had to swerve off the road to avoid t-boning the car. I wasn't hurt other than a mild concussion (there's that ATGATT again) but the bike was totaled. I had my current bike 3 weeks later. Smile

Summer months aren't the best time to buy a used bike. Everyone wants to ride and prices seems to reflect that demand. If you can wait until the winter months go get your own you're apt to save hundred if not thousands depending on what you're buying. That's been my experience as well. There are some really good bike though that aren't popular but are reliable as heck that you can get for very little. (for example - the 94 Pacific Coast I bought in 2012 had 84k miles on it but I got it for $1000 cash. I had it 12 months, changed the oil & filter 4 times, rode it over 12,000 miles in the year I had it and sold it for $1700.)

Life is too short not to do what you enjoy. I say if you want a bike then get one.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I wanted a motorcycle a few years ago. Unfortunately I live in central Florida and driving on the roads is like driving inside a pinball machine while some one is playing a game.
Instead I bought a Scion FR-S sports car.
Not to expensive and fun to drive.
Scion has since closed however you can still buy the car. It is now called the Toyota 86 and Subaru also makes a model called the BRZ.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the responses.....even you Rhino Wink

I will take the course and see how it goes.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
It's not for everyone. And I respect those who give it up for whatever reasons. But if it's in your blood, there's nothing like it. Nothing.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
I’m 55 and just started riding this year after taking some lessons. Get a bike that suits your intended riding style, but I wouldn’t go too small or you’ll quickly be looking for a second one. It’s only been 3 months for me and I’m thinking my 750 isn’t enough at highway speeds, but OK around town. A bike with a windshield may not look as cool, but the comfort is much better for highways. I’m still learning but enjoying the leap and the rides so far. Good luck and enjoy!

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
It's not for everyone. And I respect those who give it up for whatever reasons. But if it's in your blood, there's nothing like it. Nothing.

I had to give it up for health reasons not long ago, that and being in my 70's now, contributed to the decision and there aren't many days that I don't miss it. Reading Proficient Motorcycling and Proficient Motorcycling II is an excellent idea. I practiced hard braking and counter-steering a lot and that saved my butt a number of times. The only times I dropped a bike was when I got into dirt bike riding and got over confident which is easy in that endeavor.

You'll do fine if you use common sense and wear the gear at all times.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I’d recommend the MSF course as well.

He’s in a major metro area, with a large percentage of horrible drivers and illegal immigrants.

My advice is not only no, but hell no. If you were somewhere in rural Texas, or somewhere else fairly quiet, the odds would still be against you, but not to the degree in DFW.

Don’t do it.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Make sure your organ donor card is filled out, please.

You do have the organ donor box checked off on your own cage driver's license, don't you?

Just checking. Wink

Posts: 15842 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I was sitting on the side of the road taking notes when I looked up at the intersection. I got to see an old guy in an S-10 truck turn left in front of a kid on a bike coming the other way. The kid missed the truck, but not the trailer load of firewood behind the truck.

I decided that day that I will never get a motorcycle, and I'm not cut out to be a first responder either.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO, if you never rode a motorcycle, then don't begin.

I've been on two wheels most of my life, with close to 55 years on a motorcycle, and to me, today's traffic is frightening. There are far too many stupid people behind a steering wheel who believe that you should get out of their way.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
As a youth I had a secret hankering for a motorcycle but in the 1950s there was a very bad image associated with them and no one in my family had owned one (I later found out an uncle by marriage had in his youth), so my desire stayed hidden. At age 35 (1973) Honda had made a change in the image and I bought my first bike--a Honda 350 twin. FWIW, I had been a member of the Air Force base motorcycle club for 9 months to get a feel for the experience--without a motorcycle. I rode the Honda until 1977, when I was sent to Germany and could only take one vehicle. It rains a lot there and my car (1971 Pinto) seemed a lot more practical for there. When I retired in 1980 I bought a 650 Yamaha twin (cheap knockoff of Triumph) and rode it for 4 years. When Harley-Davidson had a big sale in 1984, I traded the Yamaha for a Sportster (I had always lusted for a Harley--I love the sound!). In 1989 a car entered the street and hit me from the side and I spent more than a month in the hospital to fix the injuries and infection, and another 3 months bedridden at home. I decided at age 51 that God was telling me to stop riding, and I did. I still lust after the Harleys and go by dealerships every so often just to get a "sound fix". However, I am secure in my decision to give up city riding. I'm 81 now and I photograph Harleys whenever I see them on my travels, both parked and mobile.

I won't deign to give you advice, because that decision has to be your own (but a spouse will probably have an opinion). Just take the MSF class and always be aware of the jerks in the 4-wheelers trying to kill you.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Make sure your organ donor card is filled out, please.

You do have the organ donor box checked off on your own cage driver's license, don't you?

Just checking. Wink
For sure, but a motorcycle rider is statistically more prone to use an organ donor card.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

As much as I love riding, I concur.

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:Just take the MSF class and always be aware of the jerks in the 4-wheelers trying to kill you.

And the deer, and the gravel, and the decreasing radius turns, and the....

That said, I just renewed my insurance policy for the year and will be out cruising around this evening. First ride of the year.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm in my mid-40s and just started motorcycling in the last month.

I started off in the MSF class the last week in April. In Texas, passing the practical test on the motorcycle AND passing the written test means all I had to do was take the completion cert to the DPS, take an eye exam, take a picture, hand 'em $16.50 and I walked out with a motorcycle endorsement.

The other good thing about the course is that you're on a motorcycle 10 of 15 hours and the instructor should be able to recommend a good first bike for you. In my case, I was looking at a Honda Rebel 500 or Honda CB-500F, and he actually said a little bigger bike is better for my strength, balance and will last me longer. He also said that it turns really easy and rides well.

I ended up purchasing a Honda Shadow Phantom and it's a 749cc v-twin cruiser. I've really enjoyed it the 4 times I've been able to ride it on weekends (we've had some really violent weather this past month).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:

I disagree. Life is both short and unpredictable. Not one or the other. Both. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. You can wrap yourself in bubble wrap and lay in bed all day and there’s nothing to say you won’t be just as dead tomorrow as someone who took some risks and enjoyed life.

Do you increase your risks riding a motorcycle? Maybe. Maybe not. Statistics can say whatever you want them to say given the proper questions and population so I don’t put much faith in them vs my own experience when it comes to some things.

As for me...do I commute in rush hour traffic on my motorcycle. Nope. I ride away from the city where I’m just as apt to hit a cow or a tractor. But there are still dangers that others have mentioned; gravel, sand, grass clippings, stray animals, inattentive drivers, etc. Its all a risk and it’s whether the reward is worth it to you. For some it is and for others, no. I find that right now, for me, the rewards far outweigh the risk. Can that change tomorrow? Sure. But for now I’ll keep riding.

And yes, I am an organ donor (but have been for decades longer than I’ve been riding)

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

As much as I love riding, I concur.

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:Just take the MSF class and always be aware of the jerks in the 4-wheelers trying to kill you.

And the deer, and the gravel, and the decreasing radius turns, and the....

That said, I just renewed my insurance policy for the year and will be out cruising around this evening. First ride of the year.

I'm jealous. I'm assuming the ankle is good to go now. Not long ago I'd be taking a short (50-100 mi.) ride this time in the early evening and it would be therapeutic. You and I live in a great part of the country for cruising on secondary highways. I miss it a bunch. Confused

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GWbiker:

[QUOTE]I disagree. Life is both short and unpredictable. Not one or the other. Both. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. You can wrap yourself in bubble wrap and lay in bed all day and there’s nothing to say you won’t be just as dead tomorrow as someone who took some risks and enjoyede reward is worth it to you. [quote]

Amen ! “Get busy Living or Get Busy Dying”!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ride, or don't ride.

Just be honest with yourself that motorcycles are harder to see, offer little to no crash protection, and suck when the weather is bad. Add in the fact that 80% of people I see driving are looking down at their phones and yes, the odds of getting hurt on a motorcycle are much worse than a regular vehicle. Accidents where I will walk away from will easily kill a scooter rider.

It's a choice, just be honest with what you want to do and make it. But don't be one of the ass clowns who think if a motorcyclist is killed in an accident that means its 'murder' - people willingly jump on a motorized bikes and choose to mix it up with far larger vehicles. Accidents happen - only you can decide if it's worth it to you (and no, not riding a scooter doesn't mean you are wrapping yourself in bubble wrap).

Me, I'll be happy with a nice manual tranny sports car that I can drive hard and have fun with, all while knowing if the ass end gives way I'm likely not a dead man with all the protection it provides.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post