SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To motorcycle or to not motorcycle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To motorcycle or to not motorcycle Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
IMO where you live matters. I gave up my bikes because of the traffic here. (almost getting in 3 accidents in 2 days was the final straw for me) I miss it, but I also like walking, being alive etc.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I've been riding at least some type of motorcycle for the last four decades. Only you can decide if it's right for you. Take a course and learn to be safe. If you like it proceed.
There's two kinds of riders. Those that have been down and those that are going down.
If you ever get thoughts in your head questioning if it's "right" or "what if". Stop immediately until you are sure. Confidence brings assurance.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Go get you a DRZ400 or DR650 or KLR650 or KLX250 or Versys 300 dual sport and have a good time.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 years ago I bought a 2009 KLR 650. It had been 40 years since owning a motorcycle. I’m in the 'already had my accident' club.
KLR is basic, does nothing great but everything well. $4 K will buy an excellent used KLR, don’t buy a 2008 or early 2009 however.
I ride ATGATT, look it up.
If I had been ATGATT when I got hit in 1981 I’d have probably not taken 40 years to buy another.
As suggested take a MSF course and make an informed decision.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case you haven't heard it enough, take the MSF course, then decide. If I'm not transporting children, or a lot of gear, I take the bike to get around. Much easier to park, traffic isn't an issue as I lane split. Great gas mileage. And it's a lot of fun. Downside is the idiots. Keep your head on a swivel, anticipate the morons, and be defensive.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
45 is certainly not too old to learn to ride a motorcycle. If you are comfortable operating a clutch in a car or truck you'll be ahead of the curve learning to ride a motorcycle because not all but most employ using a clutch. Add me to the list recommending taking a MSF course, also many Harley dealerships offer a learn to ride course, similar to what MSF does, using their smaller 500cc bikes with special fall over guards. https://www.harley-davidson.co...-ride/new-rider.html While I'll recommend the course I don't believe any current Harley would make a good first motorcycle. Or maybe "there are better choices" would be a better way of saying it.

Passing one of the riding courses also gets you your motorcycle endorsement so you don't need to go through the DMV testing, at least that's the case in most states. Any you'll have a good idea if you enjoy riding (I can't imagine notBig Grin ).

IMO an ideal first motorcycle is a 250cc dual sport such as Yamaha's XT250, unlike most it has a fairly low seat. If you have at least 32" inseam Honda and Kawasaki offer ones too but with taller seats. Not only is this type of bike easy to ride they're made to fall over without getting damaged, and they're FUN to ride! If you get to the stage you want to actually travel you'll probably find the 250 simply lacking in power and size though. If you are around 6 or more another "ideal first motorcycle" could be Kawasaki's KLR 650 (no longer made but there are plenty on the used market), they are pretty tall and top heavy for some just learning but again it's usually the smaller, weaker, beginners who struggle with them. Suzuki's DR650, which is somewhat similar to a KLR 650, would be an excellent choice because it's noticeably lighter than a KLR plus it has a lower seat. The nice thing about a DR or KLR is they are versatile enough for riding around town, small paved or dirt country roads (my favorite kind), or running 75 mph on a highway all day long. They have enough power to ride them anywhere in the country. I've had multiple KLR's and DR's and have ridden them all over the country, I personally like the DR650 better and that is the motorcycle I recommended to my son for his first bike.

And yeah no car can match any motorcycle as far as sheer fun because they are planted where a two wheel bike leans. Many pilots have told me riding their motorcycles give them a similar sense to flying, only even more fun. For fun driving I guess a Miata, Honda S2000, or Boxster come about as close to riding a motorcycle as a car can get. I briefly owned both a Miata and S2000 and while fun to drive they're dull compared to riding any motorcycle. Plus they cost more and take up more garage space. Yeah they're more practical in inclement weather but for that I'll just take my truck.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I had some riding experience when I took the MSF course. I was by far the best in the class, aced everything, bought a BMW R1150R a week later 300 miles away. I was not at all ready for that. I survived that ride home by the grace of God. I've since put a lot of miles on my subsequent bikes, ridden all over the western US for business and pleasure, now ride a BMW S1000R. If you have no experience, don't think you're ready to go as soon as you pass the MSF. Get a bike, sure. But practice your figure eights in an empty parking lot, be sure you have a bike you can pick up when, not if, you drop it. Get good gear and try to get a lot of rural miles under your belt before you start commuting in major city traffic. Now I'm at the point that I relish riding to SoCal where I can legally lane split with all those other daredevils and even bike cops. But it took a while to get to that point.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Personally when I rode my first sport bike suddenly sports cars became obsolete....and I was pretty into cars having owned a Supra sport roof and Mustang GT. There is nothing quite like riding a motorcycle, it’s incredibly addictive. The first time you ride a 1000cc race replica...mind blowing. Eek You feel like a space monkey holding on to a rocket for dear life.....it’s AWESOME!

Lots of good advice so far. I wouldn’t recommend a KLR as your first bike because it’s a bit heavy. A CRF250L or DRZ400 would be two lighter alternatives to consider as your first moto. A KLR wouldn’t be a terrible first bike but make sure you avoid the years that had oil consumption issues (2007-8 IIRC). The KLR is a great all rounder.

What ridewv mentioned about the sensation of flying is true. When I stand up on my BMW GS and close my eyes briefly and feel the wind blast it feels like flying. If you are lucky to live near rolling hills it can feel like riding a roller coaster at times too. Wink

I say go for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I've got 55 years on bikes and I'll enthusiastically endorse the MSF Beginner's Course, and I believe they also offer an Advanced rider's Course. Wait about a year between the two but take both.
Are you a defensive car driver? Resist the urge to throttle that idiot who just cut you off, smile and let it go? Well, almost smile. If so, you have a better chance of surviving the morons. On two wheels you are a soft target.
It will also make you a better car driver. You will learn to drive ahead looking for those that don't drive ahead further than their on-board navigator. Road conditions (potholes, work crews) will become focal points for extra attention to what's going on around you. The short of it is you'll develop and hone more good driving or riding skills.
Two types of riders being those who have been down and those who are going to go down; true. I've been down three times now, carry extra insurance.
Would I give it up? No. It has become a major part of my life. Calms and restores me.
Good point about renting a few different bikes before buying one.
If you're right for it you'll love "life behind bars".

(That's "handlebars" for you non-riders).

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Where do you plan on riding? Twisties are North of McKinney and evaporating since a herd of Kalirfonians have invaded. I wouldn’t even think of commuting on one in the metro. Way too dangerous now with inattentive driving (phones). Also gear is expensive. You need full gear and that could set you back $1500-2500 depending on the suit,boots, helmet, gloves etc. then you will need training. MSF and some track days. It’s a very expensive hobby initially and doesn’t suffer fools.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12631 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I've had off and on road motorcycles for 30 years and there is nothing like riding a bike. I was also a professional driver for UPS for over 35 years.

That said my advice is not only no but hell no!

An inexperienced rider (you) plus someone not paying attention and suddenly changing lanes without signaling, a patch of sand or gravel, a missed downshift in a dangerous tight turn, an old blue hair running a stop sign, a panel truck making a u turn on a 4 lane from the far right lane, oh and the time someone turned on their sprinklers overnight that froze over and created a death patch of black ice on a 45 mph highway, and the time one night I missed hitting a deer by inches in the country at 2am. These are just a few of the situations where I've cheated death or serious injury on a motorcycle.

Your a family man now, why take the risk?

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If you go with four wheels consider a convertible. You get the wind in your hair and can cover up if the sun gets too hot or it rains. I ride too. 47 years now. Rode to Daytona last year and road the tail of the dragon on the way back. The wife doesn't want to go that far on the bike so in mid June we are taking the Corvette roadster back to the tail and over to Ashville.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Guess it’s no surprise what my answer is.
Get in the wind while you can.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have ridden all my life. Serious crash in the 80s where some medical types were calmly discussing amputating my leg. After that I quit riding until 2000. I missed the freedom and fun a bike offers.
That said, there are only two types of motorcyclists out there:
Those that have been down.
Those that are going down.
If you ride enough, there will be a crash. In fact, as a beginner, your skills will improve to a point where you say to yourself "I got this". And thats the time you are at greatest risk, IMHO.
So... Am I telling you not to ride? Nope. As others have said, take the MSF course and ATGATT. Your first bike should be light and easy to control. Fuel injected too, as they are much easier to start. Then look at something bigger and more comfortable.
Being on a good bike, on a beautiful day on a Yoop country road gives me a feeling of unlimited adventure and fun. You can have the same feeling. Good luck!
BMW S 1000 XR
Lots of YouTube videos on it. None of which are me! Big Grin

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with a KLR at about age 40. A friend who rides told me generally speaking my starting to ride wouldn't be a big issue safety-wise because I'm not an immature moron.

I have never seen motorcycle accident statistics for mature riders who wear protective gear and don't ride drunk or on too much bike for their skill. I'd bet if we had them it would show similar risks to a car. The biggest causes of motorcycle crashes and deaths are too fast in a corner (totally the rider's fault), alcohol impairment, and no helmet. If you control those factors you are just left with getting hit by a driver risk, but that alone is fairly low especially when riding at a reasonable speed and looking far ahead/anticipating their moronic actions.

A KLR won't get you into trouble being too much bike, it accelerates about like a medium size sedan. Definitely take the MSF course whether it is required or not.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ride smart and ride safe.

Start with the MSF school everyone has mentioned. I just sent my 17 yr old son to one. He never rode before, dropped the bike a few times the first day, then on the second day everything "clicked". He passed the course and is looking forward to future adventures.

You'll do fine as long as you ride smart and remember that everyone out there is trying to kill you.

I've been on and off street bikes for most of my life and even rode "professionally" for a while (motorcycle cop). I was the only one in my unit who "beat the bike". I had a very healthy respect for the bike and it never bit me in the ass. Now at work we tended to do stupid things on them that "normal" street riders wouldn't do, however again it goes back to ride smart and remember that they are all tying to kill you.

I have V-Tail's K75S in my shop now as I'm getting it back to riding condition. My son really has his eye on it and it may never leave. :-)

I play with sports cars as well but bikes are very special and provide an experience like no other.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments. My grandmother always decried motorcycles, and often called them "Murdersickles." She also hate bicycles, airplanes, trains, busses, and, believe it or not, flagpoles. (A kid on her schoolyards a thousand years ago was playing marbles under one when the brass ball fell off and killed him.) My grandfather said one of his greatest regrets was never getting a bike, and lusted after a Gold Wing. I say go for it. BTW, I'm trike shopping as we speak.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got into it seriously at 36. Probably 150,000 miles. Loved it but in my opinion a couple things against your situation.
- DFW traffic
-The proliferation of brain dead morons

I sold my last bike after living in Vegas for a while. Drunks,texting and heat.
I may change my mind and get back into it when we get back to a more mc friendly area but not sure I can get past the elevated danger from the texting fool's.

Trust myself. Others not so much.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad bought his first bike, a Kawasaki Vulcan S, at 55. He lives in a more sparsely populated area & doesn't have to deal with traffic.
I'm hoping to get into a bike in the near-miss future once the dust settles from my wife changing jobs

Another option, if you're looking at KLR/enduro type bikes is the BMW G310GS. Guy at work got one recently & is really happy with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The risk is high but so is the fun. Take a MSF course beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The incident that got me off riding in town: Stopped at a stop light at a very busy intersection, keeping my eyes on the rear view mirror (which I always do at stop lights and signs), and noticed a Cadillac coming up fast. There was no place to go. The lady was putting on her makeup while driving to work. She looked up and got stopped about six inches from my rear tire. Sometimes there really isn't a whole lot you can do in situations like heavy traffic and idiots driving. I mainly ride freeways and highways sightseeing now during non rush hour. On occasion I'll do the twisties in the canyons behind my house very early in the morning but my sport riding is pretty much reserved for the track. Motorcycle wrecks hurt.

Posts: 7550 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post