SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spray lube/oil or add Zerk fittings?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spray lube/oil or add Zerk fittings? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I have a nice Gravely mower, pro-sumer grade I'd call it, and I want it to last.

There are a few spots that I'd like to be able to lube better/easier. For now, I just dribble oil over the spots and it seems to flow in okay. Messy though.

Not regular high wear points, and a few have Teflon like washers, so maybe not a big deal but it's an expensive mower. Pivot points on the deck lift lever arms, stuff like that.

Would it be worth it to add Zerks? I'd have to drill and tap.

If not, what would you recommend for lube? I've been using either a spray from Tetra or Slip2000 EWL 30 oil.

Thanks!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Maybe use a lube that cost less than $15 for an ounce or two. Jesus. Eek

Save the gun lube for your guns. Plenty of greases and sprays at the local big box store that cost mush less.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Do not drill & tap for grease fittings until it's well out of warranty.
The first thing the dealer will say is you modified it, you own it. No warranty!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1548 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Grease can attract dirt so always wipe off any excess so it will not be drawn back into the boot or fitting.
I have added bronze bushings and grease fittings to my mower wheels.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a number of "dry lubes" on the market that won't attract dirt like traditional oil will. My favorite is LPS-1 but it can be hard to find. Spray your pivot points, wait 15 minutes or so and mow away. You may have to re-spray every month or so.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How often are your raising/lowering the deck to require lube ? Mine has a grease fitting. Deck usually stays at the same height

Posts: 1405 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t worry about a fairly loose/crude mechanism like a deck adjustment.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post