SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    City of Atlanta hit by ransomware attack
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

City of Atlanta hit by ransomware attack Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
It must be those pesky Russians again Roll Eyes

The City of Atlanta has been targeted in a ransomware attack that has impacted a number of its systems.

“The City of Atlanta is currently experiencing outages on various internal and customer facing applications, including some applications that customers use to pay bills or access court-related information,” a spokesperson for the city explained, in a statement emailed to Fox News.

Atlanta’s Information Management team is working with Microsoft to resolve the issue, according to the city. “We are confident that our team of technology professionals will be able to restore applications soon,” it added. “Our City website, Atlantaga.gov, remains accessible and we will provide updates as we receive them.”

Citing a screenshot taken by a city employee, 11Alive reports that that hackers are demanding $51,000 in bitcoin. The cryptocurrency is popular with hackers because it is hard to trace.

The FBI is working with the city to determine what happened in the attack, according to 11Alive.

Last year, a major ransomware attack forced the shutdown of a host of IT systems at Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.

Also in 2017, a hacker targeted Sacramento Regional Transit, deleting 30 million files in a ransomware attack. Officials worked to restore the data from backup files.

In 2016, a Los Angeles hospital paid a ransom of nearly $17,000 in bitcoins to hackers who infiltrated and disabled its computer network

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/20...nsomware-attack.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
AAHAHAHAHAHA!
I guess the new banana republic leadership didn't upgrade the IT security.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
any organization who gets hit now days by this just hasn't paid attention.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it, but good. Everyday people get scammed by stuff like this all the time, but no one really has the resources or capability to do anything about it. If enough big cities get hit though we might actually see some action taken. I'm sure 51k isn't enough to make anyone want to do anything, but some of the past attacks have wanted millions.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Marta Karma

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“The total paid by Florida municipalities over ransomware in the last two weeks now stands at $1.1m.

Officials in Lake City voted to pay hackers in Bitcoin after suffering downed computer systems for two weeks.

Coastal suburb Riviera Beach recently paid hackers $600,000 following a similar incident that locked municipal staff out of important files.

According to reports, IT staff in Lake City disconnected staff computers within minutes of the attack starting, but it was too late…”

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48770128

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
51 grand? That's it? For a whole city? Man go big or go home. Wussies.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Guess they didn't have PC Matic.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The City of Atlanta is currently experiencing outages on various internal and customer facing applications, including some applications that customers use to pay bills or access court-related information

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
CUSTOMER FACING? Who writes this crap? I guess they will now be improving their SECURITY POSTURE. This is worse than Ebonics.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
The City of Atlanta is currently experiencing outages on various internal and customer facing applications, including some applications that customers use to pay bills or access court-related information

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
CUSTOMER FACING? Who writes this crap? I guess they will now be improving their SECURITY POSTURE. This is worse than Ebonics.

Customer Facing is IT industry standard language - might want to avoid using it in a press release though... DOH!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
I think customer facing is the proper nomenclature given that they are likely talking about the internet facing applications/services that the city residents use (making payments on taxes or utilities, etc).

Least it is standard terminology within IT consulting.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Least it is standard terminology within IT consulting.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK I believe you. It is too bad the city of Atlanta does not have someone to write press releases. It is the reason they have English and Commmunication Majors.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Riviera Beach Florida shelled out $660k it was reported 3 days ago on Rush

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
“We are confident that our team of technology professionals will be able to restore applications soon,” it added.
Would that be the same group of "professionals" who allowed the vulnerabilities that made this cluster possible? Roll Eyes

And yes, "client or customer facing" is the correct terminology for these types of applications.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Riviera Beach Florida shelled out $660k it was reported 3 days ago on Rush

Uh, yes. See my June 26, 2019 10:20 AM post, several posts above, that resurrected this thread.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Marta Karma

MARTA is a horrible transit system that's the laughingstock of the industry. Ironically, a cyberattack might actually make its buses and light rail more on-schedule.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I had an old Windows server that I hadn't had running in about 4 years that I fired up a few months back.

Within about 4 days it was compromised and files encrypted.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
City of Baltimore sites for paying bills online (water, property tax, speed cameras, etc) have been down since May 7th because of ransomeware. I think we’ll see a lot more of this.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buddy357:
City of Baltimore sites for paying bills online (water, property tax, speed cameras, etc) have been down since May 7th because of ransomeware. I think we’ll see a lot more of this.

I can imagine the insanity...writing a check using an envelope and a stamp...OH the humanity! Millennials will be having a full meltdown since they can't use their phone to pay a bill.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We call the fine mayor of Atlanta, (Keisha Lance-Bottoms) Rock Bottoms.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post