SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting article-OV10 Bronco support aircraft
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Interesting article-OV10 Bronco support aircraft Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Found this while surfing the net in sub section of the webpage:

http://inhomelandsecurity.com/...y%20-%20LT%20-%20AMU

"In 2013, two OV-10 aircraft participated in an experimental flight and were deployed to Iraq in order to combat mission operatives against ISIS. The aircraft—which debuted in the 1960s—successfully completed a total of 120 combat sorties in a two-and-a-half month period, leaving naysayers to speculate if this legacy aircraft would be more profitable and suitable for the war against one of the most dangerous terrorist organizations in the world."

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not mentioned in that article is that these two OV-10s were borrowed from NASA.

Here's another article:
https://warisboring.com/nasas-...00859a9f9#.ggb4z9e8e

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
A-10 Warthog. That is all...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly one of the things about it that was bad was the cockpit air conditioning or lack of. It was a loved plane in Vietnam, I think that there are some fire units (Cal Fire) still using them as a fire director/fire boss aircraft for directing efforts for wildland fire suppression.
The landing gear was very different too that allowed rough strip usage.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Report This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I think we sent most of our OV10's to South America in the 90's to support counter drug operations. It is a cool airplane. When I saw them parked on the ramp in SEA during the Vietnam was they always reminded me of giant and malevolent insects.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:

...I think that there are some fire units (Cal Fire) still using them as a fire director/fire boss aircraft for directing efforts for wildland fire suppression...

http://calfire.ca.gov/communic...fact_sheets/OV10.pdf

I visited ex-McCellan AFB a few years ago and saw numerous P-3s on the ramp, but no Broncos.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Not mentioned in that article is that these two OV-10s were borrowed from NASA.

Here's another article:
https://warisboring.com/nasas-...00859a9f9#.ggb4z9e8e

That was very interesting , more technical, and covered more information than the article I posted.

Regardless of their military-non-military (NASA) makeup, they are neat looking aircraft!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
For a lot of missions, the Warthog is vastly overkill. Something like the Bronco is likely much cheaper to operate.

A new version, or upgrades to old ones, with modern weapons and electronics/optronics, could be very effective. Basically is could act as a long endurance, high efficiency, higher capacity attack helicopter.

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
A-10 Warthog. That is all...

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Interesting!
A couple days ago, I watched a fascinating video on Broncos in action (in Vietnam).

It is a little long but worth it.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8yd19JYp84

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Report This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
My dad was in 1st aviation in Vietnam. Is unit flew ov1 Mohawks. He always spoke very highly of the Bronco. The Marine unit that flew out of the Airfield ended up getting all the weapons taken away because the pilots kept attacking ground targets even when they only had two M60's.

I heard the ov10x program was killed by McCain.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Apparently, there are already a few upgraded Broncos in the sandbox.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.c...-kicked-a-1764407068

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
That article is date 03-2016. With the election of a sane leader and the cabinet/advisors to go along with it, hopefully intelligent heads will prevail and the A-10 won't be so quick to be dismissed. If they went to the Army, that would be AWESOME!!! If that happened and I were about 25 years younger, I'd go WO program in a heartbeat!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^
That article is date 03-2016. With the election of a sane leader and the cabinet/advisors to go along with it, hopefully intelligent heads will prevail and the A-10 won't be so quick to be dismissed. If they went to the Army, that would be AWESOME!!! If that happened and I were about 25 years younger, I'd go WO program in a heartbeat!

The OV-10 would actually be a better option.

As has been gone over many times, the A-10 no longer is suited for it's design role of anti-tank aircraft (at least when against a competent enemy), and it is way over kill for attacking smelly bearded men riding around the countryside with AKs, and RPGs in the back of a Hilux. Nor is the A-10 as effective as purpose built CAS solutions like the modern AC-130 or attack helicopters.

I proposed in the past the idea of using AT-6s under AFSOC, but the OV-10 is a better aircraft for the role. But there are only so many examples left, so you would have to spin up production which could be costly. Particularly with all the mergers, and divisions sold off who knows who has the plans or rights to build it.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Chief Greener is correct. We used them with good effect in Colombia in the early nineties.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
ATF got 22 OV10's to play with.

http://www.ov-10bronco.net/us-state-batf.cfm

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My ANG unit had the OV-10 before they got A-10's long before my time with them.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I worked with these OV-10Gs in various CONUS exercises before they deployed. There were teething issues, as with any new platform. Remember, the aircraft in UW fights is just a tool for carrying the mission equipment: sensors, data links, comms, BLOS FMV equipment, and weapons. It makes way more fiscal and mission sense to put this stuff on newer aircraft designed with plug and play architecture than to retrofit it into an older airframe. Ultimately, this program was discontinued and I don't think we'll see it again.

My guess: there's an opportunity for the AT6 or A29 to emerge as a UW attack aircraft, if the $$ starts flowing. We should have invested in something like this 13 years ago when it was obvious that we'd be in these kinds of fights for years to come, and using existing fighters was impractical.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
OV-10s rank up there with Spitfires on my "Favorite Planes" list. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
When you have air superiority its nice to have the A10. I always thought of bringing back the Skyraider with modern avionics. But I forgot about the Bronco.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Report This Post