SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quicken changing their name to Quicken Classic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quicken changing their name to Quicken Classic Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
I've been a long time Quicken user. They were spun off from Intuit and are now their own company. I recently got an email from them and today a software update about how the software is going to now be called Quicken Classic.

I suppose they're going to come up with a New Quicken. How long it will be is anyone's guess. I guess the biggest issues for the upcoming product are same functionalities now in the desktop software and security if they're going to go to cloud based services.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19704 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I got the impression they wanted to avoid confusion between their cloud and desktop products. Hence clarifying the names.

For whatever reason, they can not duplicate the functionality of the desktop version of Quicken Home & Business in a cloud version.

There are many significant benefits to sticking with the desktop version regarding the ability to create reports and search/replace (bulk edit) transactions. So much so that I have Parallels running to have a Windows 10 instance on my iMac just to run Quicken Home and Business.

I kind of wish I could go the cloud route, but the last time I tried, it was a mess; plus, they do not offer any cloud-based product comparable to Quicken Home & Business (now renamed Quicken Classic Business & Personal).

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
First Coca-Cola, now Quicken. I don‘t know if I can keep up with all this.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:

For whatever reason, they can not duplicate the functionality of the desktop version of Quicken Home & Business in a cloud version.

There are many significant benefits to sticking with the desktop version regarding the ability to create reports and search/replace (bulk edit) transactions. So much so that I have Parallels running to have a Windows 10 instance on my iMac just to run Quicken Home and Business.

There are cloud based accounting and enterprise systems used by businesses. It's not like this is cutting edge programming.

I'm not saying it's easy peasy but yes, they need a migration path to move current accounts and categories to the cloud and they need to ensure security for people's data along with update connections to the institutions.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19704 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
[curmudgeon mode] If quicken goes all cloud-based, I'll have to go back to tracking things in a spreadsheet. And I've been using Quicken for 30 years. [/curmudgeon mode]

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
[curmudgeon mode] If quicken goes all cloud-based, I'll have to go back to tracking things in a spreadsheet. And I've been using Quicken for 30 years. [/curmudgeon mode]

They’ve done that to Quickbooks so I’m still using my 2018 desktop version.
I usually found their annual “improvements” to not be, so I wouldn’t upgrade until there was no choice. Same so far with my Quicken that I use for personal stuff.

Posts: 9540 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Still using Quicken Deluxe 2000, my favorite version. Does everything I need it to.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:

They’ve done that to Quickbooks so I’m still using my 2018 desktop version.
I usually found their annual “improvements” to not be, so I wouldn’t upgrade until there was no choice. Same so far with my Quicken that I use for personal stuff.

I'm doing 2020, but yeah they want around $50 per month for the basic cloud based service. What small business is going to pay that?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Take a look at Money Manager EX. It's Open Source software, FREE (donation-ware) with versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

https://moneymanagerex.org

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30722 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
As a Mac user of almost 40 years, I left Quicken when Quicken abandoned the Mac platform, then tried to come back but left a mess.
I now use Banktivity, a dumb name, but it does everything I need in financial record-keeping; updates frequently without hitches; makes connection with banks simple.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Still using Quicken Deluxe 2000, my favorite version. Does everything I need it to.

I upgraded from 2000 to 2004 a few years ago (free, online somewhere). Still works like a champ.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post