SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wipe Down Ammo Cans With Mineral Spirits?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wipe Down Ammo Cans With Mineral Spirits? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Bought four "Grade 2" milsurp ammo cans from Midway. They have some very minor rust. Only one with a slight bit inside. Not enough to warrant repainting. I was thinking of giving them a good wipe-down, inside & out, with mineral spirits.

They also have typical yellow lettering on them. I don't think mineral spirits will bother the overall green paint, but I wouldn't want to make a smeary mess of that yellow stenciling.

So what do y'all think: Yae or nay?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I have used WD40 and paper towels to clean old ammo cans. Seemed to work just fine.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Mineral spirits shouldn't harm them. Test some on a Qtip. The WD40 mentioned would probably be better to fend off rust.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a qualified "yea." You could test a small part of the lettering first. Also, I wouldn't forcibly spray the solvent onto the can, but soak a rag in it first and gently wipe the can down.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I like K-1 when I bought fifty from a guy up in Canada.
I had to use air to get rid of the fine sand first.No worries on paint removal with either product.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Alcohol wipes would also work well.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I'll give it a qualified "yea." You could test a small part of the lettering first.

Yeah, I was thinking I'd do that with a Q-Tip, as shiftyvtec suggested.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Also, I wouldn't forcibly spray the solvent onto the can, but soak a rag in it first and gently wipe the can down.

That was the plan. Got a bag o' rags purchased for just these kinds of jobs.

Ok, thanks for the feedback, everybody.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd use Breakfree CLP. It does a very good job at wiping off rust and protecting against rust.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The yellow is stencil paint and is easily removed, I spray brake cleaner on a rag and wipe off the yellow on all my cans. Seems like mineral spirits will do it too.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Mineral spirits will do fine, wd-40, even clp. After you're done cleaning you'll want to clean out what you just used with alcohol.

Just to ensure that the bullets aren't inadvertantly coated with something they needn't be.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
The yellow is stencil paint and is easily removed, ...

I don't care whether it stays or goes, but I don't want it to become a smeary mess.

Experimentation is definitely in order.

quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
After you're done cleaning you'll want to clean out what you just used with alcohol.

Just to ensure that the bullets aren't inadvertantly coated with something they needn't be.

Won't happen. Everything is boxed. I expect everything will always be boxed. In the event I ever actually get around to reloading: If it isn't boxed, it'll be bagged.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP, I remove it because I was in Ordnance and the stencils mean stuff, so to keep my ammo cans from telling me something they shouldn’t, like the ammo inside is in clips or is ball ammo or linked, I remove all the yellow.

During my career, I found any type of petroleum based oils or cleaners will smearor disfigure the stencil.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Noted. Thanks. I'll test. I don't mind completely removing the stencils. But I don't want a smeary mess.

ETA: The mineral spirits didn't affect the stencilling in the slightest. (There are both cans with yellow and cans with white.) A very slight amount of green, very slight, came off on the rags and that was it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Acetone for complete removal.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post