SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    silly gun shops, there are still retailers out there that HAVE to learn the hard way, ( break in )
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

silly gun shops, there are still retailers out there that HAVE to learn the hard way, ( break in ) Login/Join 
posted
https://wqad.com/2019/03/21/th...outh-shooting-range/

why would anyone want to steal guns ?
D E R Roll Eyes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I am typically a little shocked that, lie a jewellery store, gun stores and ranges do not remove their merchandise from the glass cases and lock it up.

While a bunch of safes may be expensive, a semi fortified room and bars on all the glass could do wonders for stuff like what happened here and possibly business insurance.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
That place looked about as secure, or less so, than a typical house, WTF?!?!

But, but, we have surveillance cameras... Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
When I worked for Bass Pro, all of the handguns went into the vault at closing.
The long guns had a locked rod through the trigger guards.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A minute to get in... Roll Eyes These guys were operating on the cheap...

I won't pull the irresponsible card but, easy smash n'grab's like this, is when the anti-2A politicians and city managers start falling all over themselves trying to pass business requirement legislation. I remember the last gun shop in San Francisco had to tack-on an additional 3-months of work prior to opening so they could be in compliance and get inspected by a litany of city departments.

Oh, you're a gun shop, well now you're a special class of retail and you're going to need sign-offs from these following departments before your permit to operate will be issued...

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I say the same thing each and every time one of these threads comes up- lock up your damn guns after hours. If you have to spend an hour each night after closing to secure them, DO IT. The alternative is a pile of stolen guns in the wrong hands.

I hope the new "security measures" extend beyond more cameras and the double pane glass they broke through the first time. Maybe triple pane this time Roll Eyes

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15617 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had a small shop, I would live in it. With a bitey doggy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The same people bitching about locking up the guns are buying guns on the internet because gun shops "cost too much." Ya can't have it both ways.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
There are many gun shops with too many guns to move at opening and closing every day. They should have some level of hardening.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are many gun shops with too many guns to move at opening and closing every day. They should have some level of hardening.

This shop is an example of one that appeared to have neither. And it behooves them to do something more than have unsecured rolling stock you can see through an easily broken glass window.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15617 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
When I worked for Bass Pro, all of the handguns went into the vault at closing.
The long guns had a locked rod through the trigger guards.
My local indoor range/shop does it the same way.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Iam gonna go ahead and say Bull shit.

it took six of us 35 minutes to lock up rifles, shot guns and hand guns in 9 safes in Reseda ,CA.

at the close of every day .

even if you double the amount of guns , it's still worth it.

With his inventory , it would take 25 min for one guy

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
How about putting some bars on the windows? That's ridiculous to allow a smash and grab. Alarm goes off when window breaks; the time it takes to gain entry should be greater than the average response time in your area.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about putting some bars on the windows? That's ridiculous to allow a smash and grab. Alarm goes off when window breaks; the time it takes to gain entry should be greater than the average response time in your area.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I saw a video of a jewelry heist where they just pulled off all the bars with a large truck. In and out in minutes. All within 8 minutes. Now if you want to pay for steel bollards that is another story.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
My first thought? No bars on the windows? It was however double pane (as if that helped).

About 3 months ago someone tried to rob a local jewelry store after hours. Great footage from the security camera, shows the robber breaking in, then walking to the cases, the empty cases. The jeweler locks everything in the vault. Robber guy was taken aback and ran away. When the local news interviewed the jeweler he had a well deserved smirk as he talked about the failed attempt. Good guys won on that one. It made me smile.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every 2 or 3 years the same few shops around here get robbed. Literally... and none of them ever upgrade security, In the last 6 or 7 years it’s happened at least 3 times

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Iam gonna go ahead and say Bull shit.

it took six of us 35 minutes to lock up rifles, shot guns and hand guns in 9 safes in Reseda ,CA.

at the close of every day .

even if you double the amount of guns , it's still worth it.

With his inventory , it would take 25 min for one guy

I was gonna say, baloney. Every store has their closure procedures, there's no easy-outs if you're running a serious business; having worked retail as a closing manager, I knew a fast closing night would take 60-minutes however, 90-min was more realistic. Closing staff stuck around to re-organize, re-stock and clean, management supervised, counted the tills, entered the reports and made the deposits.
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Every 2 or 3 years the same few shops around here get robbed. Literally... and none of them ever upgrade security, In the last 6 or 7 years it’s happened at least 3 times

How are their insurance premiums?

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This happened in SW Houston about 3 years ago. Bollards, bars on windows, etc. but they left the guns in the display cases at night so they got 50+ guns:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0395h6OG8s

The good news is BATFE made a bunch of arrests and 2 guys ended up in a federal penitentiary.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My buddy has a gun store,
Three different camera systems
Chain link fences
Big concrete blocks around the fencing,
Alarms
Bars on windows and doors
A cage when you enter to await entrance
Many safes
And all the pistols were locked up in safes each night
Plus
All the tax stamp stufflocked up.

And about ten dogs in the fencing, that bite

Someone tried to ram a truck into the place a few years ago and shot a dog..but didn’t get into the fenced area to even begin breaking in

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
monmouth , IL is only about 10,000 in population,

it's hard to believe that no one in the shop has ever been on the inner net, read a news paper or watched a tv,

I have met many people here ( in the last ten years , )
that have never been out of the state.

next time I am in the area I am going to go see what "changes" he has made