SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motor vehicle accident, false address given. UPDATE, I won the case, $10k.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motor vehicle accident, false address given. UPDATE, I won the case, $10k. Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Great news!

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Now keep us posted on collection efforts.
Sucks, dealing with deadbeats (at least she did have insurance).
You have to spend hours, days of your life just to get back to zero.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on winning the judgement and kudos for fighting it out all the way.

My wife was hit a couple years ago and the lady who was at fault asked her not to file a police report, matter of fact she lived nearby and her husband actually came up & tried to talk my wife into agreeing to take a check for a settlement.

My wife said she thought "My husband would go nuts if I did that" & so filed a report, etc. (Learned about this after the fact) Not doubting at all they might've tried to scam also.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Glad to hear you had a positive outcome, although I'm sure you would have rather not dealt with it at all.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Great that you won the case, I hope you are able to actually collect from the person.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cal State Auto Assn., or AAA, is her insurer. Legally I had to sue her, and AAA will then pay the judgement. I suspect that AAA has allready paid for the damage to car #2 and the bus, so most likely her deductible has been met.

This woman is a smooth liar. At the time of the MVA she stated that it was all my fault. In court last Friday she gave a smooth and emotional excuse as to why she gave a false address. The judge has probably seen more liars than any of us, and saw through her stories.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Nice. Good for you for fighting the good fight.

This is much of why I went to court. Someone tries to put the blame on you, hides her address, and her insurance company low balls you. It became an issue of what was right more than the money.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
What’s a smooth and emotional excuse? Abusive ex?

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
What’s a smooth and emotional excuse? Abusive ex?

She lies with no hint of guilt or nervousness. I am sure she would pass a polygraph test. She appears to go through life, with a lie being the first thing out of her mouth at every opportunity. Same as the day of the accident, she laid it all out to the police as though it was all my fault, and they were believing her.

For the emotional part, she turned on the charm, tried to be a friendly and easy going as possible, exuding warmth as though she was the judges best friend. She stated that there were children in the house, and did not feel comfortable giving out her address (seen this in some of the police arrest videos). She said it in a way as though there was real fear, as I could be the next axe murderer.

-c1steve

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Cases like this are becoming so prevalent that it's almost a must-have to be camera-equipped at each end of the car.

A few months ago a fellow shooter was driving to the range when he was brake-checked by a fifteen-y/o Audi while overtaking a slow mover. There was a minor impact as his two-ton Range Rover hit the old Audi. The Audi drive got out and made a move to open his door while the slow-mover, a young Asian woman, had pulled up close up behind him to prevent him from backing away. They were so obviously in cahoots that it was laughable. Shooting pal, who is 6ft 5in, got out of the car while Audi driver - a five and a half foot tall Asian youth - was ranting and waving his arms around, and using his camera, videoed them both and the all the car details. Ignoring their shouts to stop filming 'or I'll call the police', shooter advised him that 'the police are already here' as he produced his warrant card, and arrested them both, whilst calling for back-up.

In court the two siblings, faced with two Go-Pro movies of their escapades, admitted over TWO HUNDRED similar offences, and gave up their three other siblings in an attempt to get a more lenient sentence. They too were subsequently arrested and charged. Their compulsory vacations totalled eight years, plus a five-year loss of DLs post served time.

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story Tac. Love it when these kinds of people get caught in the act.

-c1steve