SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trouble shooting a leaf blower
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble shooting a leaf blower Login/Join 
posted
I'm having an issue with my Troy Bilt leaf blower and need some help figuring out what's wrong with it. I have no issue starting the blower just keeping it running once it starts. Once it starts as soon as I give it gas it immediately shuts off. It will start back up but again as soon as i try and give it gas it shuts off. Ive owned it for about 3 or 4 years, spark plug is good, primer works, fresh fuel so for you small engine experts where should I look first in trying to get my leaf blower running?

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the fuel line from the carb all the way down into the fuel tank . See if it's cracked or collapsed . Make sure the pick up isn't gunked up .

Posts: 4061 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

And,

Check the throttle/choke/governer.

Try fresh supply of gas, drain an purge the old stuff. This would be a quick and non invasive check.

On small engine equipment, throttle/choke/governor, are often controlled by a spring and vacuum and I have found them sticking for one reason or another.

The other thing is to pull the float bowl off the bottom, carefully pull the small metal pin holding the float on at the fulcrum, lift the float and the needle out of the well and use a blast of carb cleaner to blow out the passage.

Leaf blowers do not tend to get a lot of dirt and crap in the carb passages, but you can get a little bit of stuff in the seat, and that can result in flooding.

That would be the first thing to look at.

Or use 10mm.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43896 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I doubt the 2 stroke leaf blower will have a traditional float arrangement. I would suspect a pinhole in one of the carb diaphragms or pinhole in the fuel line. I'd go to ebay and buy an oem or knock-off carburetor and some fresh fuel line and rehab the fuel system.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pull the muffler and make sure it and the spark arrestor screen are not plugged.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 95 | Location: Southeast Michigan -- Downriver | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try fresh supply of gas, drain an purge the old stuff. This would be a quick and non invasive check.

Yes... and don't use gas with ethanol.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24127 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a fuel delivery issue (fuel lines, primer bulb, junk in the carb) but could also be that the carberator needs the adjustment screw backed out a hair and that it's too lean. Try pulling the cord with the palm of your hand covering the carb intake, sometimes that will cause the carb to suck any crap it has in it through the passages if there is any.

How long has it been since it was run last? How old was the fuel in it last time it was run?

I'm pretty sure all of the Troy built blowers are 4 cycle, not 2 cycle.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just stand a little closer and you will probably hit it with your next shot.

Posts: 17239 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I was about to ask if it was moving around or still.

Posts: 8625 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If you are having trouble shooting it, don't worry it's an inanimate object. It will not feel any pain whatsoever.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an older Husqvarna blower with a Kawasaki engine. It started cutting out when I hit the throttle. The fuel filter in the tank was dirty. Replaced the filter and it runs like brand new.
On mine you can take a clothes hanger wire with a hook on one end. Put it into the tank and fish out the filter that is attached to the gas line.

Posts: 12692 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a leaf blower for 30 bucks from my former yard guy, used it for 2 months, his broke and he "borrowed" it back in exchange for doing my lawn for free for 4 months, then he disappeared, I can't complain I think I got the better end of the deal. I ended up buying an electric leaf blower that uses the same battery as my weed eater (Kobalt brand). I by no means have a large property so it has been heaven. 30 minutes to charge batteries every other week and no fuel or starting mess to deal with. Experience may be different for other users but this has been perfect for me.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I'm having an issue with my Troy Bilt leaf blower ...

Don't do it, man! I've been pissed off at some of my small-engine yard equipment from time-to-time and felt like shooting it, too, but no good can come of it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I was about to ask if it was moving around or still.
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
If you are having trouble shooting it, don't worry it's an inanimate object. It will not feel any pain whatsoever.

Heheheh...this is along the lines of EXACTLY what my response was going to be. We are a bunch of smartasses... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aim for center of mass. Double tap that engine, it should quit soon enough.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
OK, my brain works a little sideways sometimes. My first thought when reading the thread title was that you'd had difficulty shooting your leaf blower, and I wondered why you'd be doing that.

(I see from the other posts that I'm not the only one whose mind works that way....)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too, I thought heck I'd have no trouble shooting my leaf blower, its not like its moving or something. But to the intent of the question. What motor is in this one? given your symptoms its almost certainly the fuel side. You can generally confirm this by using the choke and throttle together to see if you can get the rpm to rise. Based on experience the first place I would look is the fuel pickup in the tank. Ethanol fuel kills that one first. After that you are into the lines to the carb (easy) and then the carb itself. For these small units its almost always easier to just order a new carb. Take it off find the numbers on it and get a new one.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11003 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Stihl was acting similarly last year, a good cleaning of the air filter was my cure, even though the filter did not look dirty at all.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Just had this problem with my Hitachi leaf blower. It turned out that the carb needed to be rebuilt. When I took it apart the pump diaphragm was too stiff to move properly. Ordered a rebuild kit from Amazon and now it runs like new.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I'm having an issue with my Troy Bilt leaf blower ...

Don't do it, man! I've been pissed off at some of my small-engine yard equipment from time-to-time and felt like shooting it, too, but no good can come of it.

Some you guys have a great sense of humor :-)

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post