SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this crib safe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this crib safe? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
it is important to both to achieve mutually beneficial understanding. you want a third gen use. she wants safety.

expressing your thoughts constructively it might be possible to say…it is important to me that our family crib is used, and i have taken steps to modernize it to meet the goals of current regulations.

buy a net to eliminate the wide gaps. block the drop down.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you don't update and change the regulations, how you gonna sell more cribs.....

Same issues here, we had to just junk the cribs and old cars seats, baby stuff, outside of a few toys and sentimental things, non of it is "regulation"

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10K injuries and 100 deaths a year from cribs.

It looks like the crib I had as a child 60+ years ago.

Would I use it No, do I think it is really dangerous? No.

We used a pack-and-play at that age.

I wanted to be as safe as possible.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Technically, “no,” but you can buy crib pads that go around the inside of the crib and stay in place with ties, that should increase the margin of safety considerably.
'Bumpers' are a no-no now. Kid could smother in them.

I had no idea.

BTW, we have a Pack and Play, they’re $50

Posts: 13284 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Technically, “no,” but you can buy crib pads that go around the inside of the crib and stay in place with ties, that should increase the margin of safety considerably.

I had no idea.

BTW, we have a Pack and Play, they’re $50

We have a pack and play, too.
The infant goes in there and the toddler goes in the (old & unsafe, evidently) crib.
When the toddler was an infant, she was in the crib.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16527 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I had no idea.

BTW, we have a Pack and Play

It's a SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) thing.

SIDS is the label that gets applied when an apparently healthy infant just dies in his or her sleep for no apparent reason.

It is not well understood, but the thinking is that the part of the brain that makes you wake up and move around if you aren't getting enough oxygen is not always developed enough in infants under 1 year of age. The infant gets in a position where he or she can't get enough oxygen and suffocates in his or her sleep because the normal signal to wake up and move around doesn't happen.

This is the reason for the big "back to sleep" push in the 80s and 90s and the reason that current AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) guidelines are that cribs for infants under 1 year have a firm mattress, a well-fitted sheet, and absolutely nothing else in them except the baby - no bumpers, no pillows, no blankets, no stuffed animals, nothing (and the baby in snug clothing and/or a snug swaddle, with no loose fabric).

It seems to have made a difference, SIDS deaths in the US are currently about 1/4 what they were in 1990.

I tend to push this information when the topic comes up, first, because it matters, but also because it's personal. I lost a baby brother to SIDS 33 years ago tomorrow.

The drop-rail cribs are kind of a similar problem. Everyone you know could use one and you'd probably never know anyone that had a problem with one, but across the United States, they killed and maimed a bunch of babies in ways that wouldn't have happened in cribs with fixed sides, so why take the small but completely unnecessary risk of a horrific outcome?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
is driving a pinto safe, we all did it, what about a corvair?

Seems like a battle I wouldn't want to have.

New mom's get to be jumpy, that how we stay alive. Grandpa might want to remove the rail and keep the rest for when grandbabay is 3 or 4 and needs a toddler bed to come visit. Everyone wins

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5133 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I voted “no”, for the same reason I use seatbelts and keep a fire extinguisher around. Really the same reason I carry a gun.

While it’s highly unlikely something bad will happen regardless, I can significantly reduce the risk of a horrific outcome.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It should be totally fine. It really depends on your daughter and what she thinks. Things like that are very personal and people feel strongly about it one way or the other.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7074 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post