SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this crib safe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this crib safe? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Is this crib safe?

The crib was purchased brand new when I was a baby in 1965. I used it and so did all of my siblings. When my daughter was born we got it from my Mom and Dad and she used it and so did her siblings.

She's coming for Christmas with her 1-year old...
I think it’s actually kind of cool that a third generation will be able to use it.
She's not so sure. She says safety standards have changed...

Apparently drop down rails (it does lock in place) are no longer permitted and the upright slats are closer together to prevent a little one from potentially putting a head between the slats (which never happened with the 8 kids who used it).

Question:
Is this crib safe?

Choices:
Yes, it's fine.
No way.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
We're in pretty much the same situation.
We have an older crib similar to yours; our three kids used it and now our fourth grandchild is using it.
None of them have ever had any problems or injuries.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
which never happened with the 8 kids who used it

quote:
None of them have ever had any problems or injuries.

Yeah, but a good safety/compliance engineer dismisses such small data.

If you ever see what goes into compliance engineering to get, say, just the UL marking as an example, there's a lot to it. And there's a reason that safety standards evolve/change over the years.

If there is a risk that I can easily avoid, I avoid it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The dresser drawer with a blanket worked fine. Maybe you could get the baby a Snoo. It is perfectly safe and that is what is used these days. LOL

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
It doesn't really matter whether or not it's safe.

It only matters what your daughter says about it.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My dad’s aunt dropped him on his head before he could walk. She didn’t tell anyone until he graduated from college figuring by that point, it didn’t hurt him.

The drop down rails are an issue when the baby starts standing in the crib then yanking on the rails. The rails fall and the kid takes a header over the now lowered rail. Plenty of kids survived riding bikes without helmets, cars without seatbelts, lawn darts, pools with diving boards and without baby fences, etc. Some, quite a few perhaps, didn’t.

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The drop down rails are an issue when the baby starts standing in the crib then yanking on the rails

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My daughter quickly learned how to vault out of the crib no matter how low the mattress was. Her favorite time to do this was the middle of the night. Safety features be damned. It did not matter.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:

This is the truth of the matter. Figure out what the mom wants and just do it or pay the ultimate price!

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the 50's to mid 60's and we managed to survive.

This was the advise from doctors at the time. Smile

https://www.adweek.com/brand-m...rette-brands-165404/

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
In it's lowest position (when they're an infant) the rail will not drop any further so it is safe for an infant, imo. It is when the rail is lifted for bigger kids that the guillotine comes into play. And of course, I'm sure one could figure out ways to fix the rail in place, if she really wanted to use it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Technically, “no,” but you can buy crib pads that go around the inside of the crib and stay in place with ties, that should increase the margin of safety considerably.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hang on, I need to take some notes on this subject.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Technically, “no,” but you can buy crib pads that go around the inside of the crib and stay in place with ties, that should increase the margin of safety considerably.
'Bumpers' are a no-no now. Kid could smother in them.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:

You’re a wise man. Ultimately, that’s the answer.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
What are the requirements/priorities?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Agree with the above posts who say that the decision whether safe or not is what the mom says ...

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If momma says it looks sketchy, you can put a milk crate under the side that goes up/down blocking that option. Or put the mattress on the ground and turn the crib over on top of the mattress like a cage. Voila! Kid cage

Ok I admit my kid was a Houdini. When we traveled, we wound up putting the pack n play on top of him to keep him in…otherwise he escaped over the side

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We had a great crib from the mid 90’s, 2 babies raised in it. This crib was made from Ash, $400 new.

Every try to give baby stuff to Goodwill or 2nd hand stores? Most don’t want it, mostly liability.

Our crib had a drop side, hard to drop. I think they went out of favor.

For the most part, it’s common sense. Is the baby going to get trapped & strangle themselves.

We ended up giving our crib away for free, much better than any crib at the discount store.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Depends on your definition of safe. Is there likely to be problem? No. Is it possible that there might be a problem? Yes. Would I use it? Yes, without worrying.

However, “If Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it safe? Probably. Does it meet todays standards? No.

We couldn't even donate my daughters crib which was about 10years old at the time. It was deemed unsafe. This was ~10years ago

Somehow me and my 3 brothers lived without car seats or seatbelts in the family truckster.

Posts: 1041 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post