SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto transmission life? 6R140 in particular
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto transmission life? 6R140 in particular Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
The rear main seal on my F350 is leaking. It was just a little last oil change (probably 7,500 miles ago), but it looked much worse when I changed the oil today.

Since the transmission needs to be pulled to change the seal, I’m wondering if I should consider replacing the transmission as well. How long should the transmission last? Truck has 140,000 miles. This is a job I’ll be paying someone else to do.

Posts: 11013 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
It would seem to me as long as you're pulling it a rebuild is in order, that's provided the rest of the truck in in good running order, engine, transfer case, axles, etc.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I vote for not messing with the transmission if everything is otherwise OK with it. Yes, if it goes bad later, you have to pay the R&R labor again, which if 4wd is fairly considerable, but that's a mighty big "if." If you do choose to rebuild or exchange it, how do you know something won't go wrong with that? I would personally take that gamble.

Also, be sure it really is the rear main seal. Oil pan gasket leaks and even from somewhere else altogether can trick you.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It could be the upper oil pan gasket which is a fairly common oil leak source on the 6.7 PowerStroke. It also requires removing the transmission, plus a bunch of other parts.

Posts: 11013 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post