SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally a successful gun guy back program.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally a successful gun guy back program. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Guy makes $21k from trading in printed hand guns.

Excellent trolling. I love it.

A man took home $21,000 in gift cards after bringing more than 100 3D-printed guns to the state attorney general's buyback event in Utica last month.

UTICA, N.Y. (UPDATED) -- A man who identified himself only as "Kem" saw people tweeting about using 3D printers to make guns for the sole purpose of selling them for big bucks at gun buyback programs, like the one the New York State Attorney General's Office held at the Utica Police Department last month. He got to work on a $200 3D printer he got for Christmas.

"I 3D-printed a bunch of lower receivers and frames for different kinds of firearms," said Kem.

Then, he drove six hours to Utica.

"And he sees the tote and says, 'how many firearms do you have?' And I said, '110,'" said Kem.

This began a haggling and negotiating session with Attorney General's Office staff that lasted all day long.

"And it ended with the guy and a lady from the budget office finally coming around with the 42 gift cards and counting them in front of me," said Kem. "$21,000 in $500 gift cards."

A few weeks ago, NEWSChannel 2 contacted the state Attorney General's Office, asking if they knew this might be happening. They didn't answer the question, responding only that the Utica gun buyback was a big success and that the program, in general, keeps New York families safe.

"I'm sure handing over $21,000 in gift cards to some punk kid after getting a bunch of plastic junk was a rousing success," laughed Kem. "Gun buybacks are a fantastic way of showing, number one, that your policies don't work, and, number 2, you're creating perverse demand. You're causing people to show up to these events, and, they don't actually reduce crime whatsoever."

Utica police referred all questions to the Attorney General's Office.

A statement sent from a spokesperson at the Attorney General's Office on Wednesday said:

“It’s shameful that this individual exploited a program that has successfully taken thousands of guns off the streets to protect our communities from gun violence. We have partnered with local police throughout the state to recover more than 3,500 guns, and one individual’s greedy behavior won’t tarnish our work to promote public safety. We have adjusted our policies to ensure that no one can exploit this program again for personal gain.”

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I love a happy ending!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Didn't they have the same thing a month or two ago elsewhere? Love it when these commie assholes got suckered. Ha ha.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Anyone know what kind of gift cards these were? I'd honestly have a hard time using $21k worth of gift cards if they were limited to any one company. Even if these were for some gas station and I lived in CA, it'd take me years to burn through them.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Didn't they have the same thing a month or two ago elsewhere? Love it when these commie assholes got suckered. Ha ha.

Yeah, it was here in Houston a month or two back.
He He .... if these busybody alleged dogooders just minded their own business then they wouldn't get deservedly snookered. Big Grin

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I still want to know how you can buy back something you never owned?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Seems to me like a 3D printer might be a decent investment. Any tax experts want to weigh in on the deductability of the hardware given that its purpose is to create goods for revenue generation?

And WRT what to do with the "windfall," perhaps a generous donation to a 2A rights group might be appropriate.

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
In gun control area…

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/9790072594

Kudo’s to anyone who werks their “system” against them.

Hope he stays anon as I am sure they will come up with some way to go after him once they digest all the fine print. Wouldn’t be surprised if they concoct some sort of theft, fraud, or unlicensed “manufacturer” crap to get back at him for making them look the fool.

Even if they make charges they know won’t stick it could cost him a lot more than $20K to defend against a witch hunt.

And another thought…

He made these, then effectively sold them to a buy back - for those in the business, any tax implications here? Could they make an argument that money is income under these circumstances?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Anyone know what kind of gift cards these were? I'd honestly have a hard time using $21k worth of gift cards if they were limited to any one company. Even if these were for some gas station and I lived in CA, it'd take me years to burn through them.

If they were for the local grocery chain they’d surely get used up eventually in my house. There are websites that buy unused gift cards and resell them. Usually pay 60-70c on the dollar still a good investment of time. Ideally they were just prepaid Visa cards that are usable anywhere.

Was it actual tax dollars wasted or some do gooder charity paying for this junk?

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

“It’s shameful that this individual exploited a program that has successfully taken thousands of guns off the streets to protect our communities from gun violence. We have partnered with local police throughout the state to recover more than 3,500 guns, and one individual’s greedy behavior won’t tarnish our work to promote public safety. We have adjusted our policies to ensure that no one can exploit this program again for personal gain.”

We, the 2nd Amendment supporters find it funny as hell!

What WE FIND SHAMEFUL are the facts that:
You believe this shit works
You have no problem trampling the Constitution

"No one can exploit this program again for personal gain."?
Isn't that the whole point of the program?
You give them MONEY for (pretty much) useless shit.
Let's go through this again-
You give them MONEY.

Holy Fuckballs, I can't believe people are that stupid.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Pretty wild that he got away with it, shows those running the program don't know a full working firearm from a hole in the ground.

How long before NY comes down on him for unlicensed production of "ghost guns" and jails the guy..

Don't think it was smart to have told anyone in the press about it or posted it online...

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few months ago there was one here in Richmond, Virginia. I was planning on going, but before going I was going to go around the local Walmarts and Dick Sporting Goods stores and purchase (10) $50 pellet guns. Which if I remember correctly they were giving a $250 gift card for each handgun. However a friend reminded me that more than likely they would be asking for my name and address and ID before giving the gift card. THEN at the end of the year IRS would know how much I was given and tax me on it as income. I decided it was not worth it. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s funny and I’m glad he did it.

Still another waste of OUR money.

Posts: 3915 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Should have gotten cash.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post