SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maine legalizes medically assisted suicide
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maine legalizes medically assisted suicide Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’d like to go out like Sol
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/yOV8mBjHHYg [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It is the job of medical professionals to preserve life, not help take it. Want to off yourself? Do it yourself. I know we'll have to "agree to disagree" about it.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
"Primum non nocere."

Would you care to flesh that out?

Leaving people to suffer and die can hardly be a fair interpretation of the hypocratic oath. "Sorry, killing you would harm you, enjoy your medically enforced purgatory where you have no say in what happens."

People who are in pain and wish to end their lives should not be subject to the moral whim of everybody else around them. Particularly if those people are just voters.

Hey Grandma, we know you want to die, but we're going to make sure it's of "natural causes" for the sake of our own feelings.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
"Primum non nocere."

Leaving people to suffer and die can hardly be a fair interpretation of the hypocratic oath. "Sorry, killing you would harm you, enjoy your medically enforced purgatory where you have no say in what happens."

People who are in pain and wish to end their lives should not be subject to the moral whim of everybody else around them. Particularly if those people are just voters.

Hey Grandma, we know you want to die, but we're going to make sure it's of "natural causes" for the sake of our own feelings.

Nothing needs "fleshing out". No medical professional, and in fact, no moral person, can, should, or would, assist in ending a life. It really is as simple as that.

If you want to be the man who pushes the plunger on the syringe, then knock yourself out. You belong in prison.

If someone, terminally ill wants or feels the need to kill themselves, that is THEIR choice...so long as it doesn't involve anyone else. Step off a cliff, drive your wheelchair into swimming pool, ...whatever. You will answer for it, but it is your choice.

This, like many other issues, is something that libertarians like yourself don't seem to get. You are all about "FREEDOM". Yes! That's great! But, your freedom ends when it effects me. You folks don't seem to understand that your smoking pot, your assisted suicide, your "you name it", does in fact effect society as a whole and does in fact effect our culture.

Rarely is the case, that you can do something in the privacy your own home without effecting society as a whole...eventually.

Yes, sometimes, "There ought to be a law", is the right approach.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Just gonna drop this right here and exit quietly...

Suicide, assisted or not = Self Murder = Mortal Sin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Jews can't eat bacon, so nobody should be allowed to eat bacon.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a conservative to the bone. Don’t want waste away suffering from something like cancer, for what? To buy another 6 months or so, I’d like a choice.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
"Primum non nocere."

Nothing needs "fleshing out". No medical professional, and in fact, no moral person, can, should, or would, assist in ending a life.

If you want to be the man who pushes the plunger on the syringe, then knock yourself out. You belong in prison.

If someone, terminally ill wants or feels the need to kill themselves, that is THEIR choice...so long as it doesn't involve anyone else. Step off a cliff, drive your wheelchair into swimming pool, ...whatever. You will answer for it, but it is your choice.

This, like many other issues, is something that libertarians like yourself don't seem to get. You are all about "FREEDOM". Yes! That's great! But, your freedom ends when it effects me. You folks don't seem to understand that your smoking pot, your assisted suicide, your "you name it", does in fact effect society as a whole and does in fact effect our culture.

Rarely is the case, that you can do something in the privacy your own home without effecting society as a whole...eventually.

So, some other person wishing to end their life, affects you? Ridiculous.

Medically assisted suicide, and laws surrounding it, are hardly casual or indulgent. They aren't some sort of decadence that only the immoral indulge in.

The reality, is that letting someone suffer in pain is not a moral act. Particularly if they do not wish to continue in that suffering.

quote:

This is wholly irrelevant, as whomever wishes their ticket punched has either made their peace with the god of their choice, or has no such burden.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
"Primum non nocere."

Nothing needs "fleshing out". No medical professional, and in fact, no moral person, can, should, or would, assist in ending a life.

So, some other person wishing to end their life, affects you?

I didn't say that at all. If you want to swallow a shotgun? Knock yourself out.

Just don't make it legal for a medical professional to dose you with enough narcs to kill you.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
"Primum non nocere."

So, some other person wishing to end their life, affects you? Ridiculous.

Medically assisted suicide, and laws surrounding it, are hardly casual or indulgent. They aren't some sort of decadence that only the immoral indulge in.

The reality, is that letting someone suffer in pain is not a moral act. Particularly if they do not wish to continue in that suffering.

quote:

This is wholly irrelevant, as whomever wishes their ticket punched has either made their peace with the god of their choice, or has no such burden.

How is it irrelevant when that is his beliefs?? You really should consider that it is more acccurate to say it is irrelevant to YOU!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Don’t want waste away suffering from something like cancer, for what? To buy another 6 months or so, I’d like a choice.

Everyone always has that choice. It's when others are involved that it becomes much more "complicated".

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just don't make it legal for a medical professional to dose you with enough narcs to kill you.

Hey, if you don't want to kill yourself, don't. If we make regular old suicide illegal, it could create a mess in the courts for people being interrupted by well meaning passers by, family, or law enforcement.

Medically assisted suicide exists for the particular situation of someone who wishes to do the deed but cannot.

Why the compassion of ending suffering is offered to our beloved family pets, but not our blood, that's a real puzzler. Especially when your relative can articulate their needs, and Rover really can't.

As far as not making it legal, well, it's now a states rights kind of thing, so Maine is a new destination for those who'd like to check out.

I'm not particularly interested in suicide myself. But I'm not going to sentence anyone else to an existence they cannot bear.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
quote:

There are certainly many (perhaps most) situations where someone terminally ill would not be able to leave the hospital, get a shotgun and swallow it, yet be fully capable of making the decision to swallow a handful of meds given to them by an MD. I hope to have the option if in that position.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
quote:

How is it irrelevant when that is his beliefs?? You really should consider that it is more acccurate to say it is irrelevant to YOU!

No, the person we're talking about here is the person wishing to end their suffering. That's who matters. They'll either be meeting their maker, or going to their hell, or turning to dust, it's their existence.

erj_pilot is free to not kill himself, in accordance with his beliefs. His beliefs should not dictate what someone else can or cannot do.

Arc.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why the compassion of ending suffering is offered to our beloved family pets, but not our blood, that's a real puzzler.

Not a "puzzler" at all. Pets are just that. Pets. Animals. No matter how much we love them, no matter how much we'd like to anthropomorphize them, they are still that...not human beings.

quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76;
If we make regular old suicide illegal,...

No need to make it so, it has been for...well...pretty much forever.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

There are certainly many (perhaps most) situations where someone terminally ill would not be able to leave the hospital, get a shotgun and swallow it, yet be fully capable of making the decision to swallow a handful of meds given to them by an MD. I hope to have the option if in that position.

And that is your choice, which I support...so long as it doesn't involve anyone else.

Squirrel away a couple of oxycodone a day until you have enough to do the deed.

I just do not believe that any man should be directly involved in the taking of another life (unjustifiably). Medical professional or not.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why the compassion of ending suffering is offered to our beloved family pets, but not our blood, that's a real puzzler.

Not a "puzzler" at all. Pets are just that. Pets. Animals. No matter how much we love them, no matter how much we'd like to anthropomorphize them, they are still that...not human beings.

quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76;
If we make regular old suicide illegal,...

No need to make it so, it has been for...well...pretty much forever.

That was supposed to be "legal." As in, if suicide was legal, you could sue someone for stopping you, etc. What a mess that would be. Of course plain suicide is illegal currently.

So, you're not being compassionate to another living thing when you end the life of your family pet or other animal because it is in pain? You're just dispatching something not human? How high minded.

Arc.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Of course I'm being compassionate.

It breaks my heart every time I have to do it, but if you don't see the difference between a dog and a human being, well...I guess you need to examine some things. Roll Eyes

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course I'm being compassionate.

It breaks my heart every time I have to do it, but if you don't see the difference between a dog and your father, well...I guess you need to examine some things. Roll Eyes

So, if your father was dying of cancer and in a lot of pain, and wished to end his life but for some reason could not... Not assisting him with his wishes is compassion?

But Spot gets the express train even though he can't ask for it, because compassion?

I doubt you actually think I'm confused between a pet and a family member, so do me a solid and don't play it like I'm some sort of dummy.

Arc.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
arc

arguing with a moderator = arguing with a cop, remember? Take it easy.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post