SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My fellow BMW riders, a moment of your time, please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My fellow BMW riders, a moment of your time, please Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Took Magda for a very chilly ride today.

It is clear that joining a BMW rider-specific organization is in my immediate future.

Question:
Which BMW riders’ club is best?

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

Choices:
BMW Riders Association
BMW Motorcycle Owners of America
Local club (please specify if you can)
Regional club (please specify if you can)
Other (please specify)

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31452 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long time BMW rider and BMW MOA. I broke down 60 miles south of Springfield Illinois. Their BMW club sent a covered trailer and took me into Springfield where I got help from other MOA members and they got me up and running in less than 24 hours. Rear axle bearing race had frozen to the axle. figured this out when I had a flat on the rear. Few of em helped me get the thing apart so I could get new bearings and of course fix the flat. Got three BMWs in the garage. An 1978 R80 /7 boxer twin,a 85 K 100Rt ( its real nervous and likes to run)and a 96 R1100RT. The 85&96 are both Glacier Green. The little boxer is Burgandy. I’ve got about 400K miles on BMW Motorcycles. Most of these were put on the little R80/7.

Posts: 93 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BMW MOA. You will get a book with all the membership information of everyone who is near you and can help you if you need it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16099 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I would suggest if you're going to join one, it should be the MOA. I know it's getting kinda pricy at $50 per year but that includes 12 issues of the magazine and the Anonymous book. There's the option to save $10 which you won't receive the actual monthly magazines but instead be able to read them in digital form, and you still get the Anonymous book. I spring for the actual magazines myself, probably because I've done so forever.
And of course you'll want to plan to ride to Redmond Oregon in June for the national rally June 13-15 Smile https://rally.bmwmoa.org

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BMWMOA and BMWRA are both good organizations. The one with the Anonymous assistance book can really be a life saver. It lists all the local members, (nation wide) that are willing to help someone with bike problems. As a safety, the book has contact information, but no names.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start by going to the local club meetings - try several in the area to find what fits for you. From there, you can look at the regional/nationwide clubs.

I joined my local club just under 4 years ago. I've just been voted on to the board.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MOA and RA were both worth joining back in the day. The local clubs are much more hit or miss. Met a great group of people when I lived in Des Moines. The next place we moved the club wasn't handy and we didn't click. But I did find a local European bike focused group with another great group of people.
Do some searching in your local area and find a group that matches your needs. I was always looking for clubs that had regular get togethers where we could socialize and make riding plans.
I usually fell into cliques where 4-5 would do day rides together. People with similar riding styles and personalities. I hate the larger organized rides.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I recommended RA before because of your East Coast location but had forgotten about the Anonymous network of the MOA. Well worth joining both if it is in your financial reach. Loved the rallies. So much so that I often rode from Iowa to the Eastern US/New England for them. Both groups have their pluses and minuses but both worth belonging to. Have fun on that new BMW.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
.....Loved the rallies. So much so that I often rode from Iowa to the Eastern US/New England for them.

On MOA's site "When and Where" lists the small or regional gatherings called "events" for the year in chronological order. These are all over the country, usually including a couple in Canada, I even noticed one in France. There are a number already posted and more will be more added. Obviously the early ones will be in the south. I saw a new one is going to be at Breaks Interstate Park (which straddles the VA-TN border) in late April. The campground is nice and it's certainly a good area for riding.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/events/...?DGPCrSrt=&DGPCrPg=1

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I belong to BMWMOA just because it’s convenience. Tire warranty, we saved $500 on the wife’s 750GS, the anonymous book.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was a rider/owner BMWMOA was where I found a lot of good info.
I had a R80ST and later a K1200rs.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to what I wrote earlier, take a look at the web sites for the clubs near you (both BMW and generic). Look at their newsletters and see if you can get an idea of what they enjoy doing. The regional/national groups are good, but you need the help and support of local riders to have a community.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post