SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Value of reclaimed oak boards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of reclaimed oak boards Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
If you haven’t seen the other posts in the woodworking thread from a while back, I tore down a two story hay barn a while back and couldn’t find anyone to take the wood so I got a cheap planer and I’m doing it myself. Now that a few people have seen the results they’re interested in buying. I have absolutely no idea what any of it would be worth per board foot. There’s everything from true 2x6 to 1x6-1x12, all oak.

Anyone deal in this sort of thing?

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't plane it. Typically rough lumber gets face jointed to get one true, flat surface, then planed. If you plane both sides you'll get them clean and flat but not parallel to each other. It would finish thicker if face jointed first.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Retired cabinetmaker with 35yrs service to the industry. Let the customer make up their mind as to what they want and are willing to pay for. From my dealings most customers have absolutely no idea as the cost of wood products and they expect you to give it to them. Once had a family friend wanted a large walk-in closet lined with aromatic cedar lining. After giving price for materials only you would have thought that was bending them over the chair and not using vaseline lube. Then gave them a list of my supply locations but then realized that I was getting a price discount cheaper than they could buy it for. .............. Unless they purchase the lumber and then pay you to resurface the old lumber I would say as-is . I know supply and demand can be a driving force in the market. ................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
a small gold mine comes to mind. It is hard to say with out seeing and knowing the volume. I would get someone who know's locally and does not want to deceive you.

I would try to sell it as a lot. It should bring a pretty penny.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19226 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I wouldn't plane it. Typically rough lumber gets face jointed to get one true, flat surface, then planed. If you plane both sides you'll get them clean and flat but not parallel to each other. It would finish thicker if face jointed first.

Except no one was interested until I planed it. I’m not getting rid of all of it. I’m keeping the majority for myself unless someone makes an offer I can’t refuse.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Old oak, new oak: what's the difference if it is planed?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
$2 a board foot would be cheap.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
4/4 white oak is close to $5 a board foot here

4/4 Red oak is about a dollar per board foot cheaper

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out Facebook marketplace. Around here there are a few guys who sell wood in various levels of finishing and that might be the case for you as well..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post