SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USN ship sailing for 3-months avoiding port due to onboard virus
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USN ship sailing for 3-months avoiding port due to onboard virus Login/Join 
posted
US warship sails the Arabian Sea, avoiding port, killing time ... and germs

Umm...wow. What the hell Navy...?
quote:
For the past three months, the crew of the dock landing ship Fort McHenry has been stuck at sea, avoiding port because of an outbreak of disease.

But Navy officials bristle at the mention of a “quarantine.”

They point out that only 25 of more than 700 sailors and Marines have been diagnosed with viral parotitis, an infection that triggers symptoms similar to mumps, with fever, dehydration and chills reported in about 3.5 percent of the service members on board the Florida-based warship.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Easy to tell if the ship is under quarantine, it will be flying a large black pennant from the highest mast.

Three months at sea is not unusual.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Three months of actually not putting into port, though?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^ yeah we used to do that all the time, sometimes we’d stop in GTMO to BSF (brief stop for fuel)...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

We called it deterrent patrol. Did 9. Did not stop to refuel.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Their last port visit was in Romania 07Jan19. Wonder what they picked up there ...

December 12, USS Fort McHenry departed Mayport for a scheduled deployment, as part of the USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) ARG.

December 14, The Fort McHenry moored at Berth 1, Pier 4 on Naval Station Norfolk for a three-day port call; Moored at Berth 6, General Cargo Terminal in Port of Morehead City, N.C., for onload from Dec. 18-19; Transited the Strait of Gibraltar eastbound on Dec. 31.

January 3, 2019 The Fort McHenry transited the Strait of Messina southbound; Transited the Bosporus Strait northbound on Sunday evening.

January 7, USS Fort McHenry moored at Passenger Berth in Port of Constanta, Romania, for a three-day visit; Transited the Bosporus Strait southbound on Jan. 11; Transited the Suez Canal on Jan. 15.

January 21, LSD 43 conducted a replenishment-at-sea with the USNS Alan Shepard (T-AKE 3), while underway in the Gulf of Aden; Participated in a passing exercise (PASSEX) with the ENS Alexandria (F 911), the ex-USS Copeland (FFG 25), while underway in the North Arabian Sea on Feb. 12; Conducted a replenishment-at-sea with the USNS Kanawha (T-AO 196) on Feb. 13 and 22nd.

March 9, USS Fort McHenry conducted a replenishment-at-sea with the USNS Richard E. Byrd (T-AKE 4), while underway in the Gulf of Aden.

http://www.uscarriers.net/lsd43history.htm

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:

Underwater.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:

Underwater.

Sounds like an old boomer blue/gold crew patrol...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
March 9, USS Fort McHenry conducted a replenishment-at-sea with the USNS Richard E. Byrd (T-AKE 4), while underway in the Gulf of Aden.

I wonder if the Byrd’s crew did the replenish in hazmat suits- or are they out doing laps now too? Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Since when did the Navy start contracting out deployments to Carnivale Cruise Lines?

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Geez, we were 30 days at sea when they invaded Cambodia. The boys got a little surly. Fights became common. Wouldn't want to be there.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I am thinking there's a rumor going round the ship which was told to family members stateside.

100 days underway is not all that unusual. It can easily be determined by the amount of beer brought on board during the onload/un-rep(s).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Zombies

It's what everyone is thinking.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Was on the current record holder Teddy Roosevelt for 159 days straight without a port call.

6-pack cruise.

If we hadn't been kicking the shit out of Afghanistan post-911, it would have sucked.

But it was epic.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Was on the current record holder Teddy Roosevelt for 159 days straight without a port call.

6-pack cruise.

If we hadn't been kicking the shit out of Afghanistan post-911, it would have sucked.

But it was epic.

Me thinks someone be yanking you by ye yardarm

I believe the record is just over 180 days. Leave San Diego and next/ first port - San Diego. My LCPO, circa 1988, claimed he was on that cruise as an airmen.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:

6-pack cruise.

But it was epic.

You guys relieved the Enterprise. I knew an OS on your boat then.

Posts: 444 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
700x3x90=189,000 meals. How do they have that much food?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
700x3x90=189,000 meals. How do they have that much food?

They can resupply by VERTREP (vertical replenishment...aka helicopters)

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6727 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

6-pack cruise.

But it was epic.

Me thinks someone be yanking you by ye yardarm

I believe the record is just over 180 days. Leave San Diego and next/ first port - San Diego. My LCPO, circa 1988, claimed he was on that cruise as an airmen.

Well, the Navy considers the 159/160 day record by the Roosevelt to be the record, regardless of mysterious 'beliefs' and 'rumors'.

I'd certainly love to hear about a longer time underway record, but nobody ever seems to be able to name it, date it, or provide any proof. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by RR:
You guys relieved the Enterprise. I knew an OS on your boat then.
Yessir, that was us. They kept us sitting in the Med when the war kicked off in case anyone up there needed a 'tune up'. Since they all folded like a cheap suit when Enterprise / Vinson started the show, we popped through the ditch, did 1 day of currency flying in the Red Sea, then dropped it in gear to make PIM to join in the fray.

I think we did about a week of 3 carrier ops before Enterprise left, then we worked nights from 2300-1300 for about 3 months, then flipped to days after Vinson left.

It was a great deployment, one for the books. It was an honor to serve during that turbulent time and dole out punishment 500# at a time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RHINOWSO,

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post