SIGforum
Building a wood shop---question for the pros here

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9190015334

November 22, 2017, 07:37 PM
goose5
Building a wood shop---question for the pros here
If you put similar machines side by side. One by Delta and the other Powermatic I'd take the Powermatic every time.

November 22, 2017, 07:57 PM
Scoutmaster
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I'm not a pro, but would offer a bit of advice:

BE CAREFUL and never work tired.

Those old tools are well made and work great, but lack many of the modern design and safety features. Your fingers will appreciate your undivided attention to the task at hand.

Please repeat.

Never work tired, never be in a hurry. Always make sure your surroundings are clear of any obstacles. Make sure of your footing. Use push sticks.

I say this as I look at five scars on my right hand, three from table saw, one from band saw, one from jointer (I am left handed, understand that in woodwork, the "off hand" gets more injuries). Every instance was when I was in a hurry, became careless.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944
November 23, 2017, 06:38 AM
cne32507
If you can get 3 phase power it will open a vast market of quality, industrial used woodworking machines to buy and you will not be competing with hobbyists. I have seen whole shop auctions held where the hobbyists bid up the small tools but the industrial quality 3ph machines went for a song.
November 24, 2017, 02:04 PM
XLT
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
this is all you need Wink

Is that yours? Wow!

yes and thanks!
November 24, 2017, 05:37 PM
sjtill
In addition to fatigue and hurrying, DISTRACTIONS are a huge source of potential injury. I ask my wife (for what good that does Wink ) not to come out and start talking to me when I'm using power tools.

I'm afraid sometime she might come out despite hearing the planer going and discover I'm sitting back in a chair reading peacefully. (J/K)