SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Libya - Just like old times
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Libya - Just like old times Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Migrants from west Africa being sold in Libyan slave markets

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It's hard to break old habits. Frown

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Africa wins again.

Doesn't seem to matter how much humanitarian / NGO assistance $$$ we throw at that continent - it always comes back to violence and turmoil.

And to the larger group - far more educated than I - is there an example of a prosperous democracy on the entire continent? A 'model' of African nation success if you will?

Free elections, human rights, educational standards, healthcare, professional police / military, 'modern' infrastructure, etc...

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
In America today probably 9 out of 10 people believe that the American South instituted the practice of slavery and it was the only time and place it was ever practiced.

They have no idea that slavery was the norm since the dawn of man. Attacking the rival tribe, killing the males old enough to resist, and then selling the women and children into slavery was a daily occurrence around the globe and it didn't go away when the Civil War ended.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So Muammar Gaddafi was almost civilized compared to what Libya has become today?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
T
I
A

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32053 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

They have no idea that slavery was the norm since the dawn of man.

We can thank many of our liberal 'educators' for that.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
So Muammar Gaddafi was almost civilized compared to what Libya has become today?

Seems like there is a lesson there somewhere.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
In America today probably 9 out of 10 people believe that the American South instituted the practice of slavery and it was the only time and place it was ever practiced.

They have no idea that slavery was the norm since the dawn of man. Attacking the rival tribe, killing the males old enough to resist, and then selling the women and children into slavery was a daily occurrence around the globe and it didn't go away when the Civil War ended.

I have commented before, Blacks in America who want slavery reparations should look to Africa for their money. But as enlightened academia will tell us, the greatness of America was built on the backs of Black slaves. America would be nothing without them.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Nation-building for the win!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Another gift to the world from 44 and his hapless SecState

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
just one week till the anniversary...

April 27, 1805 - US Marines head "to the shores of Tripoli" to deal with a group of Arabs that liked to capture and sell slaves.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golfrjd1:
Can't help but think that it was one of the worst mistakes the USA ever made, bringing slaves in.. What would we be like now without their presence?
Hopefully, there would be much less mental masturbation such as your queston.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by golfrjd1:
Can't help but think that it was one of the worst mistakes the USA ever made, bringing slaves in.. What would we be like now without their presence?
Hopefully, there would be much less mental masturbation such as your queston.

For the record, golfr, slavery was not brought here by the USA. It was practiced by England and her colonists long before the revolution and founding. In fact I'll argue that had the founding not occurred, slavery would have been a pox on this land well into the 1900s. Slavery was not our original sin. It was abolished because we were established even though it took time to evicerate it with great sacrifice.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Senegalese and Ghanans migrating to Libya, to Libya, looking for a better life. Maybe they got a cruise brochure? Just when I get an idea planted of how screwed up things really are everywhere on the other side of my fence I learn about something like this.

Next year I'm going to get out more...or maybe less.

Posts: 6514 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Another gift to the world from 44 and his hapless SecState

Yep. It was nothing but Hillary wanting a foreign policy notch on her bedpost so she'd look presidential. Well, that and trying to cover up sending weapons to ISIS.

Didn't work out so well.

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Yep. It was nothing but Hillary wanting a foreign policy notch on her bedpost so she'd look presidential.
And every day we should thank God she didn't become 45.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the Libyans will put an end to this without the need for American interference. And I keep dreaming...

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

For the record, golfr, slavery was not brought here by the USA. It was practiced by England and her colonists long before the revolution and founding. In fact I'll argue that had the founding not occurred, slavery would have been a pox on this land well into the 1900s. Slavery was not our original sin. It was abolished because we were established even though it took time to evicerate it with great sacrifice.

The first part is quite true but I don't agree on the second part about it lasting into the 1900s if we had not founded our own nation. I had to look up the years in Wikipedia but slavery was abolished in the British Empire by the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833. The few exceptions were eliminated in 1843. The British Empire was quite well off during this period; their government paid compensation to slave owners when the slaves were freed.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Yep. It was nothing but Hillary wanting a foreign policy notch on her bedpost so she'd look presidential.
And every day we should thank God she didn't become 45.

And I do. Twice on the days when DJT has me going WTF???

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
Hopefully the Libyans will put an end to this without the need for American interference. And I keep dreaming...

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

The first part is quite true but I don't agree on the second part about it lasting into the 1900s if we had not founded our own nation. I had to look up the years in Wikipedia but slavery was abolished in the British Empire by the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833. The few exceptions were eliminated in 1843. The British Empire was quite well off during this period; their government paid compensation to slave owners when the slaves were freed.

Of course you are right about history as it played out. My speculation was following a hypothetical scenario. Had England not been defeated, she may have continued what was a successful economical model for much farther into the future than she did having lost this territory. How long do you imagine King George would have maintained this cash cow? Who knows, but it is worth considering that history on a different trajectory might hit certain benchmarks at different times if at all. Slavery is a weird thing in history. As a rule it seems one human has no moral conflict exploiting another human and seizing his liberty and labor. This has been so for as far back as recorded history. We even see it beginning again today. It was truly exceptional for a new nation to refine preexisting slavery out of its economy and culture. Sure, it took longer than a retrospective consideration would prefer, but credit where credit is due....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post