SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    All-male military draft ruled unconstitutional by federal judge in Texas
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All-male military draft ruled unconstitutional by federal judge in Texas Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
“The average woman could conceivably be better suited physically for some of today’s combat positions than the average man, depending on which skills the position required. Combat roles no longer uniformly require sheer size or muscle,” Miller wrote, in the form of a declaratory judgment rather than an injunction.

Horseshit!

Regarding the ruling though, I'm all in favor of it...provided the women are not placed in combat roles.
And no requirements or standards are eliminated.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Side one of the story:

Google Roza Shanina. In a previous life I was a Russian Linguist. I remember watching an old Russian show shot in the 80's about the hero women of WWII. Every one of the old women had at least 5 medals for valor in combat against the Nazis in house to house fighting during the Siege of Leningrad (St. Petersburg). I know - propaganda you say and they're some truth in that. There is however no denying that the Russians produced some really fine (no pun intended) female soldiers.

Side Two - as an Airborne veteran - how many women can pick up a 185 lb man in a fireman's carry and run a few hundred yards to safety? There are some units where the physical strength of men is an absolute requirement.

One other thought is that many men are still chivalrous and would put themselves and their teams at unnecessary risk to take care of the women.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
What is average?

The average male in the US is:
- 200 lbs and overweight
- 5' 9"
- 37 years old
- Probably couldn't pass the Army physical let alone serve in a combat role.

I don't want the military full of "average" people. It doesn't work. The military should be filled with people who are smart, in top physical shape, able to lead and follow, and can learn new skills as combat evolves beyond infantry.

Women are already serving in combat roles. That ship sailed last year with the first fully integrated Marine Corps class graduating. There were a couple of jobs they could not do for practical reasons (subs and the like) but that's in the last phases of being changed. Pretty good article on the topic here.

According to the article 12 women have finished Ranger school. Are those women "average"? Of course not. They're near-Olympic level athletes who spent their lives preparing to serve their country. They're faster, better, and stronger than you, me, and well over 99% of the population.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
“The average woman could conceivably be better suited physically for some of today’s combat positions than the average man, depending on which skills the position required. Combat roles no longer uniformly require sheer size or muscle,” Miller wrote, in the form of a declaratory judgment rather than an injunction.

Horseshit!

Regarding the ruling though, I'm all in favor of it...provided the women are not placed in combat roles.

Women are way better than men at cleaning shitters.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If women want and are to be equal, they should be subject to the same requirements men are.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Equality can be a real bitch, huh, ladies?

Good lord Para, we’re talking gender equality! It could be a bastard too. Ha. Ha....

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm all for it. If any woman can pass PT tests with no exemptions or reductions in standards for combat roles, let her in. The draft should have been across the sexes for years.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Well, it took them long enough.
Now can I have a “do over” on my draft number?
Back when I was trying to graduate from college and find a job, my low draft number (89) pretty much gurenteed unemployment. There was a court case identical to this one that the courts threw out. Real nice. Had that gone to verdict maybe the draft law wouldn’t have been reinstated and I wouldn’t have been been dealing with the Drill Sergeants, sand, pine trees and mosquitoes of Ft Dix.
In truth I served 27 years and retired as a SGM. However, the draft was still like a horse drawn sled being pursued by wolves. Every so often somebody would get thrown out.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Well dang it. That sure messes up my plan. If the draft ever came after middle-aged men, I was going to self identify as a woman.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post