SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can we discuss a different kind of "truck bag?"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we discuss a different kind of "truck bag?" Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Over the past while, we've had a bunch of threads on go-bags, get-home bags, bugout bags, all sorts of "gonna fight my way to wherever and survive it" bags. But on a different train of thought, I've been thinking on something more like a "convenience bag." What would you drop into a ride-in-the-truck-all-the-time bag? More practical than tactical, so to speak.

The first things I thought of were a roll of TP and some cleanup supplies because, well, stuff happens. Perhaps a couple of soft cloths or rags for minor cleaning? Then a blanket or a poncho liner, in case GF and I come up with and an impromptu Sunday drive and picnic, or an evening outdoors (knowing she gets cold more quickly than I do). Maybe a couple of those flimsy 99-cent ponchos and some hand warmers, too.

Perhaps some light non-perishables (nuts, trail mix, granola bars) in a separate or smaller pack. No need getting "hangry" on the road, right? Gum? Nah, that'll get funky quickly, given the changes in in-car temperatures. Tic-tacs, for the occasional dogbreath.

Sunscreen? Chap-stick? For fellas like me, certainly a hat ought to be in the mix. Maybe some leather gloves in case of a minor repair (flat tire, dropped tailpipe). When I bought the diesel, many warned me to keep some disposable gloves around because pump handles are often foul. Heck, throw in a hooded sweatshirt for those summertime cookouts that go way later than expected. Spare sunglasses? Maybe a couple of beverage koozies? A road atlas, or paper maps of the states you're in most often.

Glovebox stuff: a pen or three, a small notepad. Fingernail clippers. A Leatherman or similar. An inexpensive flashlight and some spare batteries. Maxpedition offers some nice zippered pouches that are good for keeping that stuff together.

What's on your practical-not-tactical list?

God bless America.

Posts: 13514 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's what I have in a backpack in my car at all times:

Fixed blade knife (Morakniv)
Leatherman
Headlamp with spare batteries
Carpenter's hatchet (combination hammer and hatchet)
Sunscreen
Bug repellent
Change of clothes (shirt, pants, underwear, socks, and shoes)
Sweatshirt
Winter hat
Winter gloves
Leather work gloves
Raincoat
Rain pants
Rain hat
Ballcap
Blanket
Paracord
Zip ties
Ratchet straps
Waterproof matches
Entrenching tool
Duct tape
Tarp
Water bottles
Energy bars
Hygiene kit (soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, travel-sized deodorant, etc.)
Toilet paper
Towel

And a separate first aid bag containing a trauma kit, plus a boo-boo kit with more mundane bandaids, Tylenol, Immodium, etc.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, but that's the gist of it. Has made my life easier a large number of times. It's nice being out somewhere and being able to solve any number of issues that come up simply by walking back to my car.

Just make sure you go through it regularly to replace stuff that has expired or gone bad. The extreme temps inside a car can do funky things to stuff like energy bars and soap. And things like sunscreen and OTC medications expire.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Zip ties
A roll of stainless steel wire
Electricians pliers

You can fix, fasten or tie down any number of things. The wire can be useful where high temps may be encountered.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16528 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Set of metric wrenches and 3/8 drive sockets, pliers, multi tip screwdriver, Allen wrench set, and a test light along with fuses and spare bulbs for trailer, hammer and pry bar.

Ratchet straps, bungee cords, recovery strap w/ appropriate clevis. Machete, battery operated lantern, as well as a flashlight. Leather gloves, wool liner gloves, seasonal blanket. Finally I carry one of the jump packs.

Here in the northern plains I have a winter kit that takes up residence this time of year.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
For me, some of the above items.
I concentrate on comfort and convenience.
A change of clothes, for the unexpected oops or overnight.
Hygiene items, for the same.
A pair of scrubs, in case I get puked on (or worse).
A camp towel, in case I need to dry off.
Comfortable shoes with a change of socks, in case I need to walk away from the car.
Something warm, in case of unexpected cold.
Light first aid, separate from my real first aid kit.
Hat, sunglasses.
Safety pins for quick repairs.

I try to keep a backpack with all of the above in the wife's Jeep, too, but I always find it on the floor of the garage. Gardening supplies take precedence, apparently.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
A change of clothes, bottle of water, protein bar, jacket, and rain slicker are in my truck bag.

Posts: 1973 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Truck bag (box) contains:
Advil
Toilet paper
Wet wipes
A couple bottles of water
Couple granola bars, peanuts, pistachios.
Viair compressor
Tire pressure gauge
Rapid deflator
K-Bar knife
Tie down straps

Soon to add:
Double hook bridle
D-Ring shackle
Soft shackle
Yankum Rope 3/4”x30’

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rubber gloves...you can never have enough rubber gloves and rags. If you're not going to pack that, better have enough hand cleaner.

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Gallon ziplock bags. Great for bio waste or messy/smelly stuff, and to keep smaller things waterproof if needed.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
instead of Chapstick consider Carnex (I think that's the name). Comes in the little tins about a $0.25 piece in diameter.

You'll be happy the first time they melt then coagulate.

And

If you're worried about people's fingers touching, get a dozen. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
OP, anything of the nature you describe need to survive the weather conditions inside your vehicle during year round conditions.

For example, I'm in SoCal and travel to Yuma. Temps in my vehicles will quickly exceed 150° (degrees). What I put in my bag will be different than someone in Anchorage. Unless stock is religiously rotated on a scheduled basis.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Damn, I'm behind the times I guess. I don't carry near that much stuff. I have my pistol, flashlight, basic wrenches and that's about it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5047 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have a pretty comprehensive get home bag with all the survival stuff like cordage, multitool, tomahawk, ammo, fire starting, food, etc.

Then I have a mobility kit with things to keep the car moving: air compressor, jumper cables, jump battery, tire deflator, duct tape, big zip ties, siphon pump and flares. I would like to add a recovery strap, two soft shackles and a D shackle, but that's when I get around to doing some research.

But, aside from the above which is kept tidy in bags/bins, I try to keep my car clutter free. Mints, small notebook, pen, a soft cloth to wipe down my dash, a few lens wipes, a pack of baby wipes (because...baby), a headlamp strapped to the visor, two blankets, and a water bottle in each door pocket.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Forget about the recovery strap, get a Yankum Rope. Much better product.

Many of the things listed above, and I add a spare pair of eye glasses, sunglasses and lens cleaning kit. Spare phone charger cord, around $100 in cash of assorted sizes of small bills, and a Crown Royal blue cloth bag with about $10-15 dollars of coins.

I also keep a few instant coffee packs and tea bags.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Oh, I also keep a 120v inverter in the car. It's less useful these days now that laptops have really good battery life and many can be charged via USB C, but it's there for the random camper who didn't bring the right batteries for the air mattress pump or whatever. Some cars even have an 120v outlet as a factory option.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Thanks for the tip. I haven't fully researched the pros and cons of strap vs kinetic strap vs kinetic rope, but l'll get there.

Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I pretty much keep the year round essentials in a tote. Fire extinguisher, air compressor, tire plug kit, pair of leather gloves and a good tire iron, couple of quarts of oil, gallon of coolant, duct tape...

In the cabin, phone charger, flashlight with spare batteries, OBD scanner, multitool, combo window punch/belt cutter.

The only things I add or subtract are winter specific items, as I live in Wisconsin. Insulated boots, thermal underwear, Smartwool socks, insulated jeans, Columbia omni heat vest, insulated flannel shirt, Burton gloves (that I can insert the hand warmers into), Smith ski goggles, balaclava, a neato cap (the "Russian" style with flaps that cover the ears), and a tube of Neutrogena skin cream (more like a grease). That stuff works great on any skin that might be exposed! Some coconut-ish flavored Coast Guard approved high calorie survival bars, couple of bottles of gatorade (learned really quick to not leave them in the car overnight!).

I'll spare you the list from when I owned a 2000 Ford Focus. Only will say I traveled with a two ton floor jack, tools, and some spare parts.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found out my Dodge P/U has SAE AND metric nuts and bolts so I have two sets of tools, metric and SAE plus screwdrivers, pliers, hammer, etc.

Many years ago I got stuck in a snowstorm at a Wyoming rest stop that was the highest elevation on Route 80. I had a thin cotton blanket and was freezing. Now I always have a sleeping bag, wool blanket, and a couple of fleece blankets. Actually I went to the fabric store and got one three yard piece of fleece fabric and one two yard piece. Stuff the extra length of the 3 yard piece around your feet. I have a pretty light duty sleeping bag, if it's winter and I expect to be in Eastern Oregon where Winter temps are frequently below zero I have a second better rated bag.

I have 3 or 4 bottles of water. I also have a plastic bowl so the dog can drink.

I haven't found any type of food I can keep in the truck over a long time period. Candy, granola bars, even jerky will age quicker than normal from the temperature changes. I suppose I could try canned food, will have to think about it.

I can't add anything else, previous posters have pretty much covered everything.

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Thanks for the tip. I haven't fully researched the pros and cons of strap vs kinetic strap vs kinetic rope, but l'll get there.

Or you can support a small Utah business and get a Matt’s Recovery Rope (made by Yankum) that includes a soft shackle and bag to put it all in.

https://www.mattsrecoveryrope....47701511606149928655

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a dedicated car bag and don't carry nearly as much to be prepared for any contingency stuff as many have listed. I guess if I somehow found myself in a position where I needed something i didn't have I would have to manage and then would start carrying it but here is what I do keep in the car.

Multi tool, flashlight, tissues, reading glasses, sunglasses, tennis ball for when I take the dogs to the park, hairbrush, blanket I took from a plane, paracord, battery jumper (not cables anymore), a nasty rag I probably should take out and wash, insurance and registration cards, small plastic bag with a bunch of unknown shit stashed there by my wife.

Most important items - cell phone, charger and American Express card.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kho,

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post