SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which steak knives do you recommend?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which steak knives do you recommend? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Well did you make a purchase? How is it going?

No not yet. Looked online at lots of stuff. But I just haven't found that set that whispers to me and says "Buy me, buy me now."

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I've got a set of eight Cutco table knives that have always functioned beautifully. Parents bought 'em in the late seventies. The aren't the most handsome though, if you are trying to set a hoity toity kind of table for guests. Even though they are expensive as hell.

I never do stuff like that so they are the last I'll ever own.

Found this pic on Amazon. This set of 6 goes for $496.

I loathe serrated knives, but we received a set of these for a wedding present. I really wanted to not like them to justify buying non-serrated steak knives. They are nasty sharp and work extremely well.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The relevant thing that stands out for me on the CUTCO knives are that they are hollow-ground. That leaves a nice thick spine intact to induce stiffness.

The serrations just assure that it will always cut.

Would be really cool if you could measure it and tell me how thick the spine is (versus the primary bevel at the edge - which I would imagine is ~ 0.010” to 20 thou)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cangshan Knives are my go to knives at the moment.

I bought an L1 12-piece block at Costco with 4 steak knives for $165.

The 4 steak knives alone sell for $89 on Amazon.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of years back I purchased a boxed set of 6 Kai non serated steak knives that were on special. Chinese made but so far I have been pleased with them. They have held their edges well to this point.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Wusthoff classic steak knives and they are great. I also supplement them with the Henckel all stainless ones with serrated edge which are great and about $10 each. You can usually find sets of new wusthoff classic steak knives on EBAY relatively cheap.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post