SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bonding agent for TPU and Neoprene?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bonding agent for TPU and Neoprene? Login/Join 
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted
Looking for an adhesive, glue, epoxy, whatever that will bond a soft thermoplastic polyurethane and a neoprene closed cell sponge rubber. Any wisdom from the forum on this front?

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend you search 3M transfer tape. when you get to the 3M website, you can select the two substrates and it will filter down to the transfer tapes recommended for the application. I am assuming you are looking to bond 2 sheet-like materials together.

If not, you should go to Loctite website and do the same thing for liquid adhesives. they can also provide a compatibility cross-reference.

be warned, that using incompatible adhesives between two plastics can create a real gooey mess since the reactive chemicals in adhesive will often "melt" and\or attack the plasticizers and UV stabilizers found in flexible plastics. Make sure you know exactly what the plastics are. Ex: santoprene and neoprene are similar but not the same, santoprene is a modified neoprene but doesn't have the same compatibility with adhesives.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Not sure it is what you're looking for but I have used Aquaseal many times to glue pockets on my wetsuits. Never had it fail. Wetsuits have worn out and the pocket I glues on is still on there. Tried to remove a pocket off an old suit once. No-go that stuff was too strong of a bond.

Aquaseal

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3M™ Neoprene High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive 1300
but make a small test panel as always for this type of bonding the actual components matter.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Barge is a contact cement used by saddlemakers, and will bond just about anything to just about anything else. I forms a very strong bond.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work with shoes & orthotics & we use Barge. There a a few different ones depending on your intended uses. Of all the things I do, gluing is what I am least confident with doing. With Barge, you have to apply it to both surfaces & wait til it feels almost dry. I think I don't wait long enough so I usually set a timer. Every time I have set a timer, it works. Go figure. Barge is made to glue things together that still need to flex & bend.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions. Thank you.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I will also add that with wetsuits and I'm not sure how close that is to what you're doing getting the material flat and smooth is very important.

I would also lay a piece of cardboard and then books on what I glued. The books for weight and the cardboard to protect them in case any glue made a mess.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
I'm actually trying to devise a cell phone mount for my mountain bikes that damps vibrations. There are very few (one, that I can find, really) solutions out there. The only viable one I can find is the Quad Lock Out Front Pro, really intended for road bikes. If I combined that with their dampener, really intended for motorcycles, it achieves the desired effect. But that setup won't allow me to mount a phone where I want it.