SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long is monofilament fishing line goo for
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long is monofilament fishing line goo for Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
I’m going to AK this summer and hope to be doing a lot of fishing both for salmon and trout as well as other species.
I will be using spinning as well as fly rods.
I have a spool of Ande mono line that has been sitting in my closet for a few years and am wondering if it will still be good. I know some people replace their line yearly but I think that’s overkill, particularly if it has been in a closet for a few years but I’d like some other opinions.
Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6337 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to go that far up north to get some amazing fish only to lose them due to bad monofilament. I understand the idea of not wanting to waste what is there, but you could be wasting your time and fish.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it were mine, I'd test it for strength. If it hasn't seen much sunlight, my guess would be that it is good to go.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If I was taking a trip to Alaska to go fishing I think I’d just invest the piddling amount of money a new spool of monofilament will cost as cheap insurance. Perhaps that’s profligate.

Posts: 26955 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
How long is monofilament fishing line goo for

When it turns to goo... it's no longer good.
Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Here is how I handled somewhat the same situation.

I inherited a bunch of fishing lures, lines of various types, including several 1000 yard spools of monofilament.

It had been kept in a dark area and one day I decided to check it out, sort it, etc.

Did a test to check how much the lines' strength had deteriorated. Surprisingly, did not seem to deteriorate at all.

Still tested at the labeled weight.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
I replace my monofilament annually. Both that used on spinning reels and tippet spools for fly fishing. A pain yes, but IME the material does breakdown and have personally seen issues on line several years old. Flurocarbon is different. Stuff simply does not breakdown and can be used with confidence years after purchase. I would say spend a few dollars on some fresh line. Congrats on the upcoming trip.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If the line is in its original packaging and stored out of any light, it will be fine. However, as others have said, I'd get new premium line for the trip just to eliminate any chance of failure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Toss it line is cheap, I use braid much better with a leader bumper.

Going all the way to Alaska is not worth the risk if you need to replace it up their count on it being triple the price.

Posts: 5607 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I’d use new line, and replace my hooks and terminal tackle.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I don't fish much but go to the Outer Banks yearly. I have been using the same rod/reel for the last 4-5 years. Never changed the line.

Granted it sees use about a week each year and then it's just a few hours a couple of times during the week. Otherwise, it's stored away our of the sun in a climate-controlled environment.

I would check the line out and if it seemed fine I would use it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
the line will remain strong if out of the sun for years. If it has been spooled up for years it will have memory, i.e. , it will be tight coils and not cast as well. Is it a 1/4 lb spool ? Or is it a larger diameter 1/2 or 1 lb spool.

I replace my line every year if I have used it often or it is getting low. I use from spools that can be quite old.

Unused line that hasn't been on a reel would be strong , but maybe not as supple as new.

Posts: 2547 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Get some new/fresh line! Believe it or not, I've actually qualified in Superior Court as an "expert" on fishing/fishing equipment (line)! Long story-short: The DDA on a criminal case involving one of those survival knives (with the line stored in it's handle) knew I did a lot of fishing and dealt with equipment (including line) issues, so he grabbed me from outside the courtroom where I was waiting on another matter and qualified/used me as his "expert". Cool

Anyways: Ande is good mono, but it (like all monofilament) degrades over time if exposed to light or temperature/humidity variations. Even if its just kept in a stable environment (such as your closet), it can and will lose elasticity over extended periods of time. I'm not aware of what breaking strength this line is described as, but why take a chance on losing your "fish of a lifetime"? Especially with lighter line, the quality of what you're using could literally make or "break" your trip and this is a relatively small cost towards the total. Literally every trip on go on (mostly long-range affairs, South of San Diego), I use fresh mono or topshots of fluorocarbon line on my braided base.

Also, I'd suggest that you research the type/size of fish you'll be targeting and get a few different sizes of hooks, of various designs to use, and practice tying suitable knots. As you well know, there's several different connections between you and the fish you seek that are susceptible to failure. Make sure your terminal gear is GTG and double check your drags too. It's a good investment to change those out too, if you haven't done so in awhile.

Best of luck to you and have fun!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10214 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
toss the old stuff or give it to your brother in law,
if its over ten months old,

or use it if you need a really good "the one that got away "story for around the campfire

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54717 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If you have a fishing store near you, they may replace the line on your reels with bulk line, sold by the yard, rather than you having to buy all new spools of line to only use some of it.

I know that this is a service offered in the bait and tackle shops near me, and it's reasonably economical.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
It is probably ok, but if I was going in a big trip, I like get a bulk spool and get them all restrung. I hate the ones that got away. Also you might see if you need higher test line given the new environment.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Not worth the risk.

Get a spool of a couple hundred yards of braided line with the correct test weight for what you are fishing for. Braided line is thinner (can be cast farther) but you risk a line cut if you are fishing around barnacle covered pilings or sharp rocks.

Get a spool of leader that is the correct test weight for what you are fishing for. I usually use about 1/2 to 2/3 test of the line. Makes it more fun if you have to let the fish run.

Learn how to tie a double surgeon's knot for connecting the leader to the line. I use a single surgeon's knot for the hook/fly. You may have a preferred knot, doesn't matter, but I have never lost a leader/hook due to the knot.

It's $30+- to get the line/leader. I would hate to take a cross country fishing trip and be too cheap to buy this type of gear just to lose a trophy fish.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ande line so-so. Ande usually breaks easily at a knot. I use Izorline and it is super strong at the knot.

I have a small sportfishing boat, 20 rods, and take lots of friends out on the ocean several times a month. I see what works and what does not.

-c1steve

Posts: 4065 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Alaska? I’m putting on new line if I go.
That much money in a trip and pinching pennies on fishing line “don’t make no sense”. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Wow!
Thanks for all the quick responses...I was looking at the bag I kept the line in and found out the I bought the line in 2009 so I’m going to replace it.

I’ve also ordered a bunch of new lures based on several books I’ve bought and am keeping the size of the lures small (in the 1/8 oz. size range).

I’m also going to be replacing the line in both my fly rods (5 & 8 wt.).

Thanks guys!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6337 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post