SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contact your Senators and encourage them to oppose Chipman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contact your Senators and encourage them to oppose Chipman Login/Join 
posted
You can find phone numbers very easily on senate.gov.

I read this morning that the leader of the judiciary committee confirmed there will not be a second hearing, to assess allegations against Chipman.

Democrats opposing him will make the difference.

I live in Georgia, and both the GA senators are democrats. I have called and written them multiple times.

Don't assume your efforts are in vain. A call only takes a few minutes. Just tell them who you are, where you live, and that you'd like them to oppose Chipman's confirmation. You'll need to provide your email and/or phone number as well.

Posts: 2186 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
KSGM, thanks for doing the above from behind enemy lines!!
None of us should ever give up if you live in occupied territory.

HK Ag

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Already done here.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that, a week since I created this post, there have been two positive responses. People post their brains out in threads about very trivial things. I just browsed the thread on the Val Kilmer documentary, and it's interesting that more people can be bothered to discuss that than make an effort to combat things that threaten the very inspiration of this entire website. I am certainly not whining because a thread I created isn't getting any traffic, nor do I feel self-important; it just bums me out, I guess. People give a lot of lip service to the Second Amendment, and opposing those who threaten it, but it seems few do much more than that. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Posts: 2186 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it’s because many or most in the Forum were well aware of the threat posed by Chipman and already contacted their senators. That was certainly true for me, and I’m happy to see that Senator Barasso has been very public in his opposition.

As to the rest of your post, I think many of us are baffled at times by the threads that take off and those ignored, but hey…

Posts: 13295 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22936 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
"Dems say that they dont have the votes..."

Means they wont keep pushing Chipwich.

Is he a straw man that they knew was never going to fly while they actually want a slightly less radical gun grabbing a$$hole to be announced soon, or did they really think this mental defective was suitable to run the ATF?

Didnt know about the chicom connection...just reprehensible.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Perhaps it’s because many or most in the Forum were well aware of the threat posed by Chipman and already contacted their senators. That was certainly true for me

I really hope that's the case.

The responses I have gotten by most people in my area make me pessimistic though. People are usually aggressively defensive if you suggest they contact their elected officials, I suppose because they feel you're implying they aren't doing something they ought to. Or they respond with something to the effect of "those Senators are going to vote him in no matter what you do, so it's just a waste of time".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Is he a straw man that they knew was never going to fly while they actually want a slightly less radical gun grabbing a$$hole to be announced soon, or did they really think this mental defective was suitable to run the ATF?

That is a valid concern. It seems a lot of folks feel that way about Cuomo as well.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Perhaps it’s because many or most in the Forum were well aware of the threat posed by Chipman and already contacted their senators. That was certainly true for me, and I’m happy to see that Senator Barasso has been very public in his opposition.

As to the rest of your post, I think many of us are baffled at times by the threads that take off and those ignored, but hey…

Or possibly the fact that there have been 19 other threads on Chipman and members have said what they have to say on the matter. You have to have been living off a cliff in Tora Bora to not know what is going on.

Just because people don't +1 a thread doesn't equal that they aren't informed or don't care.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Or possibly the fact that there have been 19 other threads on Chipman and members have said what they have to say on the matter. You have to have been living off a cliff in Tora Bora to not know what is going on.

I hope they all said what they have to say to the folks that represent them, and can perhaps make a difference.

I admit I did not search for existing threads on the matter. Regardless, a reminder to contact the senators is not a bad thing.

posted Hide Post
I would like to apologize to the OP for all the trivialities he has been subjected to since he came on board. Roll Eyes
That said, I contacted both my Senators (both Democrats) and asked them this:
Do you plan to vote to approve David Chipman as ATF Director? Which seemed like a good starting point for me to voice my thoughts on Chipman further.
And so far, what have I heard back from them? Zip. Zero. Nada. Not even an auto reply. Which is exactly what I expected from them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Both of our senators are libtards and one is married to Giffords.

Talking to them is like talking to a block of ice except you can get something useful from ice.

Effort made, no response and actually never expected one - they’re politicians that only represent themselves.

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contacting Tim Kaine or Mark Warner would be a waste of time. They follow the party line every time. As for Chipman, I hate to get personal but just watching the way his mouth moves when he talks, makes me want to slap him.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I contacted both my Senators (both Democrats) and asked them this:
Do you plan to vote to approve David Chipman as ATF Director? Which seemed like a good starting point for me to voice my thoughts on Chipman further.
And so far, what have I heard back from them? Zip. Zero. Nada.

I think it's better to, instead of asking them what they think, go ahead and tell them what you think. At least then they, or their aides taking notes from the phone messages of the day, know how to record your statistic.

I never expect to hear back from these people either. Lord knows they're not a bunch of little Ronald Reagans who are going to read the mail and write personal checks to old ladies.

Considering the content of your David Chipman call, it may have been ultimately more trivial than most.

posted Hide Post
I received an email yesterday, from the office of GA Senator Jon Ossoff. It is likely a pre-prepared message, for use in responding to people who contacted his office about this issue; it is rather vague and non-committal. It is a lot better than nothing though. I know it is in response to my brief call to his office, rather than my written snail-mail correspondence, because I didn't provide my email in my letter. So I replied to his email, encouraging him to read my other letter, and respond more specifically to points I presented. I have included the body of his message below, for whoever is interested.

Thank you for contacting my office about the nomination of David Chipman to be the Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. I appreciate hearing from you about this important nomination.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), an agency housed within the Department of Justice, plays a key role in protecting our communities from violent crime, criminal organizations, the illegal use and trafficking of firearms, and terrorism.

It is imperative that the Director of ATF have a deep background in law enforcement and understand what it takes to protect public safety. They must also share my commitment to balancing the right to responsible gun ownership with commonsense violence prevention measures. Mr. Chipman’s nomination has not yet been scheduled for a floor vote, but I will take your perspective into account as I continue to consider his nomination.

Thank you once again for contacting my office about this important matter. Please do not hesitate to reach out in the future if I can do anything to support you or your family.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
White House planning to withdraw ATF nominee

The White House is planning to withdraw David Chipman's nomination to lead the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, according to three sources close to the process.

Chipman is currently a senior policy advisor to Giffords, a gun control group, and faced an uphill battle to Senate confirmation as President Joe Biden's point person on firearms regulation. Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) had previously told the Biden administration and Senate Democrats that he was not supportive of the nominee. Other moderate Democratic senators, including Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Jon Tester of Montana, have also remained noncommittal on the pick.

Chipman, meanwhile, faced universal opposition from Senate Republicans. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell described the nominee as an "anti-gun extremist" and asked for the White House to withdraw his nomination.

The White House declined to comment. It's unclear when the formal withdrawal of Chipman's nomination will take place, though it could happen as soon as this week.

The Senate has confirmed only one ATF nominee, in 2013.

https://news.yahoo.com/white-h...w-atf-071952964.html

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
White House planning to withdraw ATF nominee

Hot dang, and hooray.

God bless America.

Posts: 13516 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Me today:

Posts: 33851 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Suck it commies!

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post