SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thermoworks - Smoke 2-Channel Alarm Thermometer with Free Needle Probe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thermoworks - Smoke 2-Channel Alarm Thermometer with Free Needle Probe Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have even complaining about the price of instantaneous probes, and see Thermoworks has a pen for $29.
I need to stop looking!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any reason I need to insert the meat probe early on? I'm with you I couldn't care less at beginning what the temp is of the meat. I care more about the cooking temp. I'm using Gerry rigged set up now, don't have a real smoker. BGE or some kind of pellet thing will be purchased next year. It's hard for me to maintain a temp.

I was thinking I could monitor the cooking temp and know when it got too hot/cold. Then stick probe in at the very end. Any reason that won't work?
if you are looking you aren't cooking. Insert the meat probe in the beginning and then there are no wasted openings, and I've also have long smokes surprise me with the maverick beeping 2 hours early.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23326 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any reason I need to insert the meat probe early on? I'm with you I couldn't care less at beginning what the temp is of the meat. I care more about the cooking temp.

This is my approach now as well after getting the basics down with a new cooker from a few years ago. I know roughly when I'm going to be at a temp I want to wrap in brown paper and just check temps then for being in that general range, wrap 'em up and then stick a thermometer in for the remainder of the cook.

BTW - if you've not tried Aaron's brown paper version of the crutch, it is definitely worth a go! Took me to a whole new level for reasons I'm happy to explain.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12450 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not that particular one, the one I use is this:

I use it always for grille temp and on long cooks to probe the meat if it is large enough.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Already shipped, damn they are fast. Now I want to buy a real smoker, been using a grill to smoke with, not ideal, but has worked.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20846 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Already shipped, damn they are fast. Now I want to buy a real smoker, been using a grill to smoke with, not ideal, but has worked.

I noticed the same with my order. Almost as fast as TGS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Ive needed a device like this for a while, so Im in for one. Thanks OP.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post