SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2020+ Explorer Owners - TTV6 in Particular
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2020+ Explorer Owners - TTV6 in Particular Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Had a 2022 XLT for a loaner while our Expedition was in the shop for some warranty work.
Really liked it, and could see one as a replacement to my 11 year old Malibu.

Found a low mile Platinum with a good price on it, locally. Apart from the shocking price on 21" tires, it looks like a good deal.
Dealer nearby to the Platinum has a Limited with the 2.3T I4 that's also an option.

Anyone have the TTV6 Explorer (not the 3.5 EcoBoost from the 2019 & prior) and what do you think of it, as a long-term ownership daily driver?

Any known issues to look out for?
What's your real-world MPG look like?
If you did it again, would you still opt for the extra $ for the V6 over the I4?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15139 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Assuming this is the 2.7L?

No experience with the Explorer, but had one in my 2015 F150 and have one in my 2022 Bronco. My take is it is GTG, you’ll find some naysayers on it but it’s a good motor.

There was a very small batch of motors that had defective valves in 2021 on the Broncos, not sure if it carried over to other models using the 2.7, some still whine about it though it was limited to pretty small number of motors.

I had the 2.3 in my Ranger, all things equal I’d go with the 2.7. My Bronco is getting the same MPG as the Ranger and with a bit more pep.

I was getting 20-21 Hwy on the Bronco until I put bigger tires on, now getting 18-19 Hwy.

Ranger with the 2.3 was getting 19-20 Hwy with the 2.3

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s a 3.0 liter and yes there is a known issue.

The subframe that holds the rear differential is supposed to have provisions for four bolts holding the differential in place. Unfortunately, for whatever reason the three bolt subframe from the 2.3 liter Explorers was used on many of the 2021 and 2022 V6 Explorers and the single rear bolt is prone to failure. None of the V6 Aviators have the three bolt subframe.

When the bolt fails, the differential drop out of alignment, the half-shafts come out and really expensive repairs are required.

Ford is not replacing the subframe with the correct one for most owners unless the bolt fails. They are replacing it on the Police Interceptor models.

Pictures in the first few posts of this thread: Link

Posts: 10814 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yes, 3.0 TTV6
I had the 2.7 TTV6 in my 2016 F150 & it never had a problem, over the 36k miles i owned it .
I believe the 3.0 is related more to the 2.7 than the older 3.5

The Explorer(s) in question is a 2020, a Platinum & a maybe on a Limited

Posts: 15139 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
In 2020, the ST and Platinum had the 3.0 EcoBoost. The Limited got either the 2.3 or a 3.3 hybrid.

We traded a 2021 Kia Telluride SX Premium for our 2022 Explorer ST. In terms of handling and performance the ST wins hands down. The Telluride was no better than our 2012 Odyssey minivan. The interior was nicer on the Telluride and most of the creature comforts were much better thought out.

As far as fuel economy, the ST can get about 25mpg on the highway at 70mph.

Posts: 10814 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Right, I had an XLT for a loaner & the 2.3 is surprisingly peppy.
Haven't driven a KR/ST/Plat, but imagine it's quicker than the 3.5TT in our Expedition. The 2.3 XLT felt quicker to accelerate than the MiniBus Exped.

Not opposed to either, but the Platinum is appealing for the extra power & features.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

The subframe that holds the rear differential is supposed to have provisions for four bolts holding the differential in place. Unfortunately, for whatever reason the three bolt subframe from the 2.3 liter Explorers was used on many of the 2021 and 2022 V6 Explorers and the single rear bolt is prone to failure. None of the V6 Aviators have the three bolt subframe.

When the bolt fails, the differential drop out of alignment, the half-shafts come out and really expensive repairs are required.

Ford is not replacing the subframe with the correct one for most owners unless the bolt fails. They are replacing it on the Police Interceptor models.

I recently saw the subframe topic on an Explorer forum. Will have look into it more & see if it's a possible issue for the 2 I may go look at this weekend.
They're both 2020s, so not sure if those are affected.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Not supposed to be an issue with the 2020s or 2023s.

I wouldn’t buy a 3.0 EcoBoost Explorer with the 3 bolt subframe. Unfortunately, I didn’t know about the issue before we bought ours. I don’t believe it’s a matter of if the bolt will fail, but when. IMO, Ford is kicking the can down the road and hopping the failure doesn’t happen under warranty.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very interesting...

My agency ride is a 2021 Explorer (non-Police) with the 3.0L TTV6 Ecoboost engine. I just checked, and it has the single rear differential bolt.

I'll mention that to our maintenance guy.

According to the anectdotes in the thread you linked, it appears that most of the bolt shears were on vehicles that were custom tuned. One post mentions that there were only 2 reports so far of stock Explorers with sheared bolts, one of which was reportedly due to towing.

So perhaps less of an issue for stock Explorers that don't tow, like mine?

There was also apparently a recall issued mid-2022 for affected vehicles, but I just checked my VIN and there were no reported recalls. Here's the recall notice: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/r...RCMN-22V255-8006.pdf

Posts: 32414 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not supposed to be an issue with the 2020s or 2023s.

I wouldn’t buy a 3.0 EcoBoost Explorer with the 3 bolt subframe. Unfortunately, I didn’t know about the issue before we bought ours. I don’t believe it’s a matter of if the bolt will fail, but when. IMO, Ford is kicking the can down the road and hopping the failure doesn’t happen under warranty.

Good to know, I'll look for details & be sure it's not an issue on the one I look at tomorrow.

Emailed my ins agent, just to check that the premiums wouldn't be some crazy increase.
We don't carry collision coverage on my Malibu. It's 13 years old & paid off, and pretty much only sees commuter duty.
Swapping in the Platinum Exploder, with collision, only raises my rate $20/mo.
Surprisingly, the Limited that's also down in that area, was a higher premium, by about $8/mo.

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 2022 3.0TT. It came with the one bolt crossmember. I actually ordered a two bolt crossmember and replaced it one long weekend.

The motor is great. I’ve got mine tuned for a bit more power. Power and handling are outstanding imo. Interior is on the cheaper side but doesn’t bother me. I’ve got 15k miles on so far and have had zero issues so far.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
I’ve got a 2022 3.0TT. It came with the one bolt crossmember. I actually ordered a two bolt crossmember and replaced it one long weekend.

The motor is great. I’ve got mine tuned for a bit more power. Power and handling are outstanding imo. Interior is on the cheaper side but doesn’t bother me. I’ve got 15k miles on so far and have had zero issues so far.

Thanks. The XLT I had was a marked improvement over the 11 year old Malibu.
The Platinum should be an improvement over even that.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Update: There's a 2020 Limited in my driveway. Extended test drive. If they can resolve a few cosmetic niggles, and check the alignment, we'll be taking it home.

300hp is pretty peppy, for a 3 row, 6 seater SUV.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nice!

The turbocharger helps the motor make torque at a much lower rpm than a naturally aspirated motor and that torque curve is relatively flat starting at about 3,000rpm all the way to 5,500rpm. That makes for a zippy ride in every turbo charged vehicle I've owned (3 currently) or driven.

For comparison sake, the Kia Telluride makes 262lb-ft at 5,500rpm while your Explorer makes 310lb-ft at 3,500rpm and is about a second quicker to 60mph than the Telluride.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice!

The turbocharger helps the motor make torque at a much lower rpm than a naturally aspirated motor and that torque curve is relatively flat starting at about 3,000rpm all the way to 5,500rpm. That makes for a zippy ride in every turbo charged vehicle I've owned (3 currently) or driven.

For comparison sake, the Kia Telluride makes 262lb-ft at 5,500rpm while your Explorer makes 310lb-ft at 3,500rpm and is about a second quicker to 60mph than the Telluride.

I was pleasantly surprised at how peppy the 2.3T is in a vehicle this size.
Same engine as the Mustang, Ranger & Focus RS, IIRC.
We looked at a Telluride (but didn't test drive) prior to buying our Expedition, seemed smaller inside than we were expecting.

This will be my 5th turbo vehicle (2 Mercedes & 3 Fords)
Apart from the first Mercedes, an 82 turbo diesel S-class, it definitely makes good use of a small engine.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Update: Bought the Limited.
2020 Explorer Limited RWD, 26k miles.
Have put about 200 miles on it already, a nice MiniMe to go with my wife's MiniBus [Expedition Max Limited].
Thought I'd miss the extra power from the TTV6, but 300 on tap works for me. The 2020 Platinum only was tuned to 365, bumped to 400 for 2021 to match the ST. Otherwise the Limited is pretty much the same outside of different leather, smaller center screen & turn-following headlights.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new ride. Looks great!

How's the driver's seat?

God bless America.

Posts: 13415 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Congrats on the new ride. Looks great!

How's the driver's seat?

Pretty comfy so far. Heated & cooled in the front, heated steering wheel, heated 2nd row captains chairs.
We had the XLT from the OP & drove it to San Antonio & back to pick up a table. No complaints from 7 hours in the saddle then.
Seats are a bit better in the Limited over the XLT.

Definitely drives very car-like, especially compared to the Expedition.
My big complaint on the Exped is that the steering wheel doesn't go low enough. Fine enough, but wish it went another .5-1 inch lower.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Cooled too! Sweet.

God bless America.

Posts: 13415 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post