SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tri-focal lens shortage, musings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tri-focal lens shortage, musings Login/Join 
posted
I went to Costco last week to fill a new eyeglass prescription. I wear tri-focal lenses. The one with lines, not a progressive lens.

Informed that factory didn’t have lens blanks for tri-focals, so they could’t manufacture. I know there are few users like me.

Suggested I might like progressive lenses. Nope.

Being the cynic I wonder if they have simply decided to stop offering them as they don’t sell many anyway.

“Supply chain issue” is the excuse. That could well be true too given the current shortages. Also an opportunity to camouflage the dumping of slower moving product production.

Not a cynic, just was in the business world too long.

I am a retired purchasing director. I’ve bought or contracted for just about everything from industrial equipment, experimental pharmaceuticals, patrol cars, guns, human body parts and doctor and lawyer services.

I keep hearing about supply chain problems. I think it’s gonna get worse.

I say that as an expert, but the truth is I don’t know much more about the current situation than you do.

Expert? Before I retired, the Purchasing Association decided we were “Supply Chain Managers” and it became the “Institute for Supply Management”.

Suddenly I was a supply chain manger. Well, that makes sense. It does describe the job.

But as to the current situation, I’m in the dark. Can’t focus on the supply chain issues. Especially without new glasses.

Posts: 1623 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That's just great!! I'm going to Costco tomorrow to order a pair of lined tri-focal glasses for a new prescription. I tried progressive's once and they drove me nuts. I had to give them up after trying them for a week or so.

Hopefully the Costco's here in Spokane use a different lab. Wish me luck.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully the Costco's here in Spokane use a different lab.
I think you might be out of luck. I believe that all of the Costco optical departments get their orders sent from the same mother-ship, and that is BAD news for me, as I used lined trifocals and bifocals.

One of our SIGforum members works for Costco; he might be able to shed some light on this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jimbo 54, they did tell me that that they have the tint changing lens available, That’s the lens that darkens in the sunlight.

I didn’t want that one for my primary eyeglasses as they never get completely clear. Might be a good backup.

If you like the auto darkening lens, it’s available for tri-focals.

I tried progressives once.

Drove me nuts. Short drive I know.

Posts: 1623 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Jimbo 54, they did tell me that that they have the tint changing lens available, That’s the lens that darkens in the sunlight.

I didn’t want that one for my primary eyeglasses as they never get completely clear. Might be a good backup.

Well, that's actually good news because I like the auto tint option. I've been using them for years.
I'll find out more tomorrow.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:

The auto darkening lens I get from Sam's Club Optometrist lightens up to where you'd never know it was capable of getting dark. I highly recommend it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shortage is widespread. It has to do with the adhesive used to manufacture Polycarbonate lenses. If they have CR-39 as an option, that should be available. I’d ask if the offer plastic CR-39.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’re not having any trouble ordering them - go somewhere else.

MDS

Posts: 394 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also an opportunity to camouflage the dumping of slower moving product production.

If you stop and think about it, this doesn't fit with the idea that trifocals being in short supply. As you said, the demand is pretty low for them anyway.

I'm on the Supply Chain Management when it was more planning. I had both a Certified in Purchasing Management under the old society that had "Purchasing" in it's name (I forget the name). I was also a member of APICS and certified CPIM.

I think the Purchasing group bought the APICS group and they operate as one now.

There are a lot of factors in the shortages - low supply of labor, ships backed up off shore waiting to unload, etc.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19992 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post