SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Kit Car Builders? Locost/Caterham/Lotus 7 Specifically
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Kit Car Builders? Locost/Caterham/Lotus 7 Specifically Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If you are serious about a Caterham I would suggest you find one to sit in and test drive before you jump in.

Posts: 1805 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If you really want one, find a divorce or estate and buy it completed or close.
A project like that isn't for an amateur and I don't know your level of expertise.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
If you are serious about a Caterham I would suggest you find one to sit in and test drive before you jump in.

Best advice here.

Especially if you are over 5ft 8in and 140#.

Sure, the 6ft 4in Clarkson did it, but he's got paid half a mil a year to do stupid things.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Built a Dutton kit car (a cheaper version of the Caterham 7) 30 years ago. It was an absolute flying machine, PWR was phenomenal. Good fun but a young man's car - my back and knees wouldn't take it now.

Best advice? Make sure you have all the donor parts before you start - and take your time.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quattro_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
620r with a full cage is a bold choice. You must be limber, and live close to a nice track. Certainly no compromise there. If you do build it report back when it is done, my guess is that it will be a handful, but rewarding. Unfortunately to get that car to the states and built you will certainly be north of 100k not counting your labor.

Well the Ridge Motorsport Park is an hour and a half from me, and Oregon Raceway Park is 5 hours away. My goal was to sit in one at the SOVREN Historics this summer, but COVID put a damper on that. $100k for a car with no roof also puts a damper considering there are a lot of other cars on the list that are ≤ $100k

"Sometimes Magic sounds like Tape" -- The Amazing Johnathan

Posts: 1208 | Location: Redmond,WA | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I will date myself.
When I was overseas a Lotus7 could be had assembled for 2700 bucks.

Shipping back to the States was &250.

My buddy had one and I could have bought it by just picking up his payments.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
Here is one based on Miata mechanicals

http://manikllc.com/sport_miata.html

No experience with company. Westfield kits used to be sold by Flying Miata.

Their classifieds has some amazing cars - the XI and 15 are what I would love to build. they are sold, with no indication of price.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Somewhat surprisingly, the wife is at least partially onboard with the idea.

Now to find a complete car to test fit...

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has to be one closer to you than mine, but you are welcome to come sit in it and even drive it if the weather permits. It is not such a good choice in the snow and ice. The heater is outstanding, but the rest is lacking.

Posts: 1805 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
There has to be one closer to you than mine, but you are welcome to come sit in it and even drive it if the weather permits. It is not such a good choice in the snow and ice. The heater is outstanding, but the rest is lacking.

Yeah, maybe a little far.

I'm sure there's a few in Houston. Will have to start checking some of the Caterham/Locost forums.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Might have a line on a partially complete Locost in Baton Rouge. Looks to be about 60-70% done & needs a new engine.

Currently set up for a dry sump rotary.

Being offered for about 1/2 what some of the parts are worth.