SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Transmission shift points 2004 Suburban
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission shift points 2004 Suburban Login/Join 
Picture of skywag
posted
I have owned the Suburban since new. To replace it would cost about $100,000........So I am keeping it up. I'm on a road trip now.......3000 miles. 17.5 MPG

Anyway, You know how in drive you can push down the gas pedal and it will shift down, 4th/down.....I forget the name. I usually just shift it into 3rd.......further lower...............because in 4th/downshift it either accelerates and "hunts"(I don't know the real term)

I would like a switch that allows ME to control 4th/downshift..........not the stupid transmission. If I want to keep that gear it would stay until I switched the switch again.

Is this possible? Kind of like a manual/automatic

Posts: 175 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is the standard 1/2 ton with the 4L60E (electronic shift 700r4), I'd skip the OD and drive it in 3rd.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
If I were you I would call and talk to the folks at Precision Transmission in Amarillo, TX. I've watched a number of teardowns from their YouTube channel and they all seem to really know their stuff.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway, You know how in drive you can push down the gas pedal and it will shift down, 4th/down.....I forget the name. I usually just shift it into 3rd.......further lower...............because in 4th/downshift it either accelerates and "hunts"(I don't know the real term)

Since this should be a 4 speed auto I got to wonder if you are not confusing the torque converter lock up and unlocking with a gear change? Your 3rd gear should be 1 to 1 ratio and 4th gear is an overdrive. Does this have stock size tires on it per door sticker or does it have taller than stock tires?

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
If I were you I would call and talk to the folks at Precision Transmission in Amarillo, TX. I've watched a number of teardowns from their YouTube channel and they all seem to really know their stuff.

OH yeah!!! Agreed. I like their videos. Good folks. I am 250 miles to Amarillo and if I need a transmission job, I'll haul that sucker there and pay them to do the job right.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
In that era, GM faced troubles with what they termed "hunting." The transmission would not remain in a desirable programmed gear. Slight changes in driver input could create changes in the selected gear.

In addition, the torque converter clutch lock up could create a shudder feeling. A low frequency but noticeable physical vibration would be felt.

One cause for transmission issues is fluid beyond its life expectancy. The chemistry within has a number of carefully selected friction controllers, and over time, these molecules can oxidize or react becoming non-functional.

If one chooses to change the ATF, the method of changing the fluid is debated. Most people say "don't change it if you've never changed it and it is over xxx,xxx miles old." Many people say that power flushing the transmission fluid stirs up bad deposits and puts them into the transmission valve body where they effectively kill the transmission.

A modern ATF, made for GM, such as the "DEXRON VI" fluid, may help with your older unit. New DEXRON III would be hard to find. Properly changed, such as a partial drain and fill, the risk can be minimized.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
OK.....Yes, it is the torque converter lockdown that I'd like a manual switch for.

I do have aftermarket wheels and tires, but they come out to the same diameter. The speedometer is right on to GPS speed.

I've religiously changed the fluid and filter every 40,000 miles. Never had a problem. I'm sure that it is operating just perfectly.

I just want my own switch. But WTH, minor liife problem!!

Posts: 175 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would something like this work? https://www.monstertransmissio...Lockout_p_11535.html

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
Thank you, triggerTreat

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
Would something like this work? https://www.monstertransmissio...Lockout_p_11535.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link posted for lock-out switch above I believe is for transmissions prior to 2000. I could be wrong, but check.

If want your shift points changed your gonna need to have the trucks computer reprogrammed at a tuner shop. Or get software and cable and diy.

Lastly you can get a seperate transmission controller $$$ and adjust how you want.

Link and description of switch sold by monster below.

https://superiortransmission.c...duct/superior-pr280/

Posts: 1575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're the only one driving the truck, put it in 3rd and drive.

Why spend time/money on something that's not needed?

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post