SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tint moonroof. Shatter risk?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tint moonroof. Shatter risk? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Anybody tint their suv moonroof? Any shattering?

Seems like there is a perception that moonroofs are susceptible to shattering while side windows are not.

This doesn’t sound right to me. On the other hand, seems like a moonroof would be subject to sagging forces. And I know doubled panes Home windows are subject to cracking or hazing.

Thoughts?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No direct knowledge, but many on the F150 forum have tinted the panoramic roofs on the crew cab trucks with no issue.

IIRC, my Civic & my sister's Accord both had tinted sunroofs as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If anything tint should make it less of a shatter risk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
It’s just a sheet of plastic that adheres to the glass. I’d think it’d be more likely to keep the glass together even if it did get broken. Short of some sort of binding in the mechanism or chemical reaction to soap, water and plastic; I can’t figure out how it could hurt.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Agree. Film on the glass if it shatters is better.

But curious if the tint makes it more prone to shattering, perhaps similar to double paned windows.

Seems like tint should be a non issue.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have owned several limousines with tinted roofs. Never had one break.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always tint the moonroof in my vehicles and have never had a single issue. If it's going to shatter it's not because of the tint.

Posts: 2018 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Sunroofs seem to be a problem all by themselves. I lost the sunroof in my 2013 Accord with about 5,000 miles on the clock. It was in the middle of February in Montana so heat wasn't the culprit. The thing just exploded like a rifle shot as I was driving 55 on the highway.

Glass scratched the crap out of my trunk lid as the thing disintegrated.

I immediately drove to the Honda shop where I promptly wasntold to get screwed. I made some noise and the service manager called Honda who said they would cover me. At the time I owned 3 Hondas.

About 10 days later, my car was done but the scratches remain. I sold the car within about 90 days. I was very displeased to have to raise hell at I a dealership that I had been loyal to. When they said they never heard of a sunroof blowing out, that was an out and out lie.

2 years later I only have my S2000 and I don't plan to grace the door of a Honda dealership in the future. If they would have started out calling Honda initially and offered to fix the scratches, I'd probably bought a new Honda rather than a Mazda - but they tried to BS me.

If I would have had tint on the sunroof, I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten a new sunroof under warranty as the thin plastic caused the fault - in their minds. But it probably would have held together and not scratched the crap out of my trunk.

I had the windows tinted in my new Mazda - but not the sunroof.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Never heard of such a thing.

Have tinted every one I've ever owned, six I think, across multiple manufacturers (including my 4runner).

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The problem with tenting windows is when you are driving in the stakes.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34421 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post