SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amtrak train with 183 passengers has been stranded in Oregon for more than 24 hours
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amtrak train with 183 passengers has been stranded in Oregon for more than 24 hours Login/Join 
posted
I would not enjoy being on this train. Reading this made me think of the Donner party. I wonder how people from that time in history would view the situation. I think in many ways we have become rather soft and unable to care for ourselves. Here is the story:

An Amtrak train headed for Los Angeles with nearly 200 people on board came to a standstill Sunday evening after hitting a tree that had fallen onto the tracks.

More than 24 hours later, there’s still no movement.

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari told CNN none of the 183 passengers and dozen crew members were injured, but that “conditions further deteriorated with numerous track blockages from snow and fallen trees.”

“Due to worsening conditions, area road closures and no viable way to safely transport passengers or crews via alternate transportation, Train 11 stopped in Oakridge, Oregon,” he said. “We are actively working with Union Pacific to clear the right of way and get passengers off the train.”

The train still has power and there is enough food on board — for which passengers will not be charged, Amtrak said on Twitter.

Passenger Carly Bigby told CNN affiliate KOIN 6 the snack cart on the train is empty and people have run out of diapers for their children.

“A lot of the [older] kids have been really good but they’re having to run up and down and it’s a lot,” she told the news station. “Especially the food — it’s not really food they’re liking. Moms are doing all they can right now.”

Bigby also said some people don’t have good cell phone reception in the area where the train is stuck, and haven’t been able to easily contact their family.

Another passenger, Rebekah Dodson, told CNN affiliate KTVL train staff have remained “great, very professional” and morale among passengers has been good.

“We have to put wash clothes together to make diapers for a couple of the kids on the train,” Dodson told KTVL. “We got together and got some feminine products together because several people had run out already.”

But she said they’ve all remained on the train, as there’s no way of going anywhere else.

“We can’t get off the train because there’s four feet of snow in every direction,” she told the news station. “There’s nowhere to go.”

Train 11 operates daily between Seattle and Los Angeles.

Magliari says Amtrak anticipates the train will return to Eugene, Oregon Tuesday morning.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2019/02/26/a...-more-than-24-hours/

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Oakridge, OR, near the Decshutes Nat'l Forest, seems an odd place to be if you're going to LA. I'd have thought the I-5 corridor followed the railroad route.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
If tempers get short before the tracks are cleared, this could end up more like "Murder on the Oregon Express." (groan)

Poirot is on the case!

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll wander in playing the role of "lower intelligence." Why didn't they just back up before getting snowbound?

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Oh. Snowpiercer...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oakridge has a pub with craft brewed authentic cask-conditioned ales and good food. That's where I'd be!

People are soft, but this is a 1st-world problem emergency. Choo-choo has power and chow and it has only been 24hrs, BFD. Roll Eyes

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Oakridge, OR, near the Decshutes Nat'l Forest, seems an odd place to be if you're going to LA. I'd have thought the I-5 corridor followed the railroad route.

When they built the line some 100+ years ago, they chose the location through Klamath Falls to avoid some sharp curves.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Guess I'll wander in playing the role of "lower intelligence." Why didn't they just back up before getting snowbound?

dunno, maybe because if they go back, the closest station is in Eugene Eek Eek Eek Eek Eek

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Imagine the toilet condition.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
^^^
No, thanks. I'd rather exit the car, wade out into the snow like a dog, and do my thing there. Big Grin

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Oakridge has a pub with craft brewed authentic cask-conditioned ales and good food. That's where I'd be!

People are soft, but this is a 1st-world problem emergency. Choo-choo has power and chow and it has only been 24hrs, BFD. Roll Eyes

I would have made a nice bon fire and commandeer a keg of beer it would be like a weekend in NH Big Grin

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A train was sent to pull it out. Looks like it’s heading back to Seattle.

https://news.yahoo.com/amtrak-...340194--finance.html

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
... People are soft, but this is a 1st-world problem emergency. Choo-choo has power and chow and it has only been 24hrs, BFD. Roll Eyes
But ... but ... they "don’t have good cell phone reception". Oh, the horror! Roll Eyes

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Due to worsening conditions, area road closures and no viable way to safely transport passengers or crews via alternate transportation, Train 11 stopped in Oakridge, Oregon,”

The news makes it sound like they were stuck in the mountains like the Donner party, but they were STOPPED IN OAKRIDGE. They were in a freaking town, albeit a small town, but they were in town. A town of 3000 people with gas stations, schools, stores, restaurants. The town has a medical clinic, a fire department, and an A&W.

They were in a freaking town!! Eek

https://www.ci.oakridge.or.us/...come-oakridge-oregon

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
quote:
... People are soft, but this is a 1st-world problem emergency. Choo-choo has power and chow and it has only been 24hrs, BFD. Roll Eyes
But ... but ... they "don’t have good cell phone reception". Oh, the horror! Roll Eyes
That was my thought, too.

Regarding the escalator--yes, there are people that clueless. (Although I think that was staged.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Hmm There's a bit more to the story than some of you are aware.
Yes Oakridge is not far from where they stopped.
That town is also without power.

https://www.opb.org/news/artic...qua-national-forest/

This is a pretty freak storm that has dumped a large amount of snow centered in the Eugene/Springfield area and directly East to Bend.

We're talking major tree's down, auto wrecks, and power outages.

Just not something most in the valley are used to dealing with.

PS The Brewers Union 180 in Oakridge is not a destination brewery for us beer geeks.

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Due to worsening conditions, area road closures and no viable way to safely transport passengers or crews via alternate transportation, Train 11 stopped in Oakridge, Oregon,” he said. ...
Don't they have snowmobiles in Oregon? I can believe it would be tough to transport all the people from the train to some place better, but couldn't somebody make a run out to the train with diapers, feminine products, and maybe a few cases of beer?

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
quote:
“Due to worsening conditions, area road closures and no viable way to safely transport passengers or crews via alternate transportation, Train 11 stopped in Oakridge, Oregon,” he said. ...
Don't they have snowmobiles in Oregon? I can believe it would be tough to transport all the people from the train to some place better, but couldn't somebody make a run out to the train with diapers, feminine products, and maybe a few cases of beer?

It doesn't generally snow like that in those parts of Oregon.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought at first this was gonna be a modern "Breakheart Pass".

Make it count

Posts: 1411 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post